iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Tooth Set?

Started by Kirk_Allen, March 08, 2004, 09:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I have been primarily using the WM Double Hard blades - 10 degree - .045 x 1 1/4".

I have noticed recently that there is a fair amount of sawdust left on the board.  I cut primarily hardwood - Red Oak, Hickory, Walnut, Cherry, Maple.  When I cut Osage, Locust, and white oak I use the 9 degree blade and have no problems with saw dust.

I currently have a box of 30 blades on the way to WM for Resharp and was wondering if anyone was using the same blade but with less set in the tooth?  

Im thinking of having them reduce the set but wanted some input before I do it.  I searched but didnt find that much info on blade set.  

Thanks
Kirk

woodmills1

hardwood wants less set.  When you bought them what were they set at?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

D._Frederick

Kirk,

The amount of set on your blade will depend on the diameter of the logs you are cutting, the bigger the more set.  If you are sawing all hardwood, the set can also be less than with softwoods. With the woods here in the NW, I can get by with the set being 0.022 - 0.025 inches per side.

Kirk_Allen

The blades are WM Double hards and the Resharp sets them at .025 per side.

Bigger the log more set?  Is this because you need the extra set to drag out more sawdust from a larger cut?

I am going to check my engine RPM today as the motor seems to hit that stall point quicker than in the past.  

Wood mizer follks said I should stick with a .025 set for what I am cutting.

Thank You Sponsors!