iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spent the day with the LT-40

Started by T Welsh, July 29, 2012, 05:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

I have been having some electrical problems lately with the mill, It came to a head yesterday when the head wouldn't move, had to push the head a foot or two and it came alive. Got what I wanted to get done and today I brought the mill back to the garage for its once a year tear down and put it back together. I do this each year to keep it running with out problems! First it got a good cleaning with the high pressure air hose and a total bath of WD-40 and wiped down. Took all covers of the mill and greased and lubed any thing that needed it. Checked all fluid levels and cleaned and lubed the drive chain and up and down chain. Then I removed every. And I mean every electrical connection off and cleaned the terminal end and stud end and then applied die electrical grease. Took me 6 hours, but I found a host of problems and have 5 items that need replaced. I found the problem with the electrical system, it was a partially melted 125 amp fuse and worn contact shoes. Maintenance is a big factor in keeping your mill operating as it should. So what I am saying is take some time with your other girl and spend some quality time together, It pays off in the long run 3 fold ;D. Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tim.....GREAT sermon for a Sunday!

Take care of your mill and your mill will take care of you.     TIM 3:16
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

David, I never thought of myself as a preacher. But I am getting older and a lot wiser :D. Just saying PM is worth the time spent. I was pushing the mill for a much longer period between maintenance intervals and it bite me in the butt, Luckily I was not on the road with it or that would have really pi--ed me off. Tim

Delawhere Jack

I towed my mill back and forth across the Delaware Memorial Bridge today...... On what are probably the original trailer tires...... dry rot cracks in the side walls and all. I'd have been in a real pickle if one of them let go on the bridge.

Think I'll splurge on some new rubber tomorrow.

Chuck White

Tim, I do pretty much the same thing you're talking about, every winter.

I quit sawing when the cold weather hits and the mill gets cleaned up and parked in the garage till spring!

As soon as I get the mill unhooked from the truck, I remove all of the shields and covers and get my manual out and go completely through the mill from the tail lights to the hitch and from the bottom of the tires to the top of the mast.

Preventive Maintenance is just the ticket!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Buck

Yeah guys, I have to agree. I blew a tire and had my older mill sway over and hit a bridge rail. End result is a lot of work but she's coming back together. Keep an eye on those tires too. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

When I am "blowing-n-going", many time the old gal gets rode hard and put up wet.  A little quite time and TLC is always good and usually will reveal something that could potentially cause a breakdown while sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!