iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amonia

Started by Autocar, July 29, 2012, 02:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Here a while back there was a discussion about how to get creosote out of a chimney and there was talk about using amonia. This spring when I clean out the stove I put a two pound coffee can half full in the chimney and the same in the stove. It was a mirror shinny sticky creosote this spring the other day I cleaned it all out and it had turned to a dry crust that clean out with ease. A great learning exsperance from the Forestry Forum  ;).
Bill

beenthere

Seems mine will dry out without using any ammonia (sitting over the summer). Not sure what the ammonia would do to enhance the drying.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Ammonia is a solution of sodium hypochlorite in water that is not very stable. Any exposure of the solution to sunlight for example and the chlorine will be gone and you will have just water. That's why ammonia or bleach comes in opaque containers to prevent the loss of the chlorine. So that exposed ammonia in your stove quickly lost it's chlorine and any punch that gas had on the deposits.

So beenthere is right. Those deposits in your stove just dried up naturally.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ianab

Not sure on the Chemistry, but I do remember my Dad cleaning his old chip cooking pot with ammonia. It had years of cooked on grease splatter over the outside which was immune to any detergent.

He stuffed it in rubbish bag with a cup of ammonia and left it overnight.  The ammonia fumes reacted somehow with the baked on grease, and it then scrubbed right off.

So maybe it has a similar effect on the creosote in the stove. It was the ammonia fumes that did it as the ammonia evaporated.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rocky_Ranger

Quote from: Gary_C on July 29, 2012, 02:33:54 PM
Ammonia is a solution of sodium hypochlorite in water that is not very stable.

Wrong chemical, sodium hypochlorite is bleach.  Ammonia is NH3; most likely since it is highly "basic", it reacts with the acids in the chimney to form salts.  Might look it up or check out a stove distributor - they're "miracle product" may just be ammonia and some colorant.
RETIRED!

Autocar

Not sure about the chemical info but in years past the shin would be there in the fall and this is the first year it isn't. Normally it burns hot enought to keep it clean but the mild winter it built up and even in past years early spring burning it would get the shiny sticky stuff in it and then in the fall after a few hard burns it would turn dry and crusty.
Bill

Gary_C

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on July 29, 2012, 06:31:10 PM
Quote from: Gary_C on July 29, 2012, 02:33:54 PM
Ammonia is a solution of sodium hypochlorite in water that is not very stable.

Wrong chemical, sodium hypochlorite is bleach.  Ammonia is NH3; most likely since it is highly "basic", it reacts with the acids in the chimney to form salts.  Might look it up or check out a stove distributor - they're "miracle product" may just be ammonia and some colorant.

You are right. It must have been one of those brain farts. Or it may be because I've used so much of both they have corroded some memory. Bleach or sanitizer is used as a germ killer and whitner and ammonia is used as a cleaner and plant food. Applied many tons of that smelly stuff. Both substances are highly corrosive.  :)

I still can't imagine how ammonia can clean without actual surface contact, but it can sure clean nasal passages.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

muddstopper

If ammonium will clean it. I wonder what Urea would do?. Urea will gas off and convert to ammonium so??? Just wondering out loud.

Logging logginglogging

That was me telling people about the amonia trick.... worked for year on out house chimney too....
I always use the stuff.....

Logging logginglogging

yeas, not year sorry

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Logginglogginglogging on August 21, 2012, 07:39:28 AM
yeas, not year sorry

years, years, years,    why cant i type lately......

Thank You Sponsors!