iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally some drought relief

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 28, 2012, 09:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Been very dry here in central NYS, not as bad as in the Midwest, but dry non the less.
Mud in the mill yard now where there was dust earlier in the week.
Have had 1.4 inches of rain in the last few days and is raining again nicely as I type this.
The corn here is breathing a sigh of relief as well as the soy beans.
How is it , as Al Roker says, in your neck of the woods?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DanG

We're having a "normal" year here, which is something we haven't seen in a while. Our YTD rainfall is a tick above average with scattered T-storms daily, and miserably hot temps.  Just a few miles north of here, they are still suffering in the drought.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chuck White

It's not raining here, just looks like we're going to have a "gray day", nice and a little on the cool side!

We've had rain (and wind) over the last few days!

Temperature here is just under 70°, nice.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bugdust

Dog Days set in wet in our neck-of-the-woods, and still showers about 5 days per week. The triple digets and afternoon showers made for a poor garden, just like pouring hot water on the plants.   :-\
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

sandhills

Still dry and windy here, but the last few days have at least been a little cooler, I think we topped out yesterday in the low nineties and today is cooler yet.  One of these days it's just gotta break down and rain.

MHineman

Still hot and dry mostly, but we got some rain at my place.  The week before we got almost 2 inches of rain in 3 events.  We got a little more this week and I actually mowed my yard today.

Normally we need to mow about every 5 to 8 days, but this is the first mowing in about 6 weeks.

For a lot of the corn it's too little, too late, but the soybeans will be OK, but a smaller yield than other years.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

WH_Conley

I guess our drought is broken. Only mowed the yard a couple of times all summer. Started raining about 2 weeks ago. A lot of gardens cooked early, late gardens doing OK. Now it is raining just about every other day, the problem is that nothing but thunder storms. We have had some localized flash flooding. A couple of people were missing a couple of days ago when their mobile home washed off. At the time nobody knew if they were home or not. I haven't heard anything since. A guy up the creek from me lost his 2 year old mobile home. He lost a double wide in 2010 and put the new one back in the same place. Surely he will not go back in the same spot.
Bill

Bill Gaiche

Good for you on the rain. We really need it here. I noticed a lot of post oak trees yesterday that the leaves are or have already turned brown. The heat stress is really starting to show here. I came in from the boat races about 3:30pm today and it was 110 on the p.u. temp indicator and 110.7 at the house. bg

Woodchuck53

Us to. The wife says it has rained all day at our place so maybe it will fill the pond back up. But the grass needed it to.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Handy Andy

Still dry as a bone here in Kansas.  Sold 15 calves Thursday, surprised they are still worth anything.  Now I have to start selling cows.  The pastures are parched, and are we supposed to start feeding them in August?  Usually get by till about the 1st of November.  And we have about half a normal hay crop.  Guys baled their straw windrows, now are going back and swathing what straw is left.  Everybody is worried about feed for the cows.  So instead of going broke buying hay, I'm going to sell a bunch of cows.  But I'll keep some heiffers. Never even grouched about hauling water.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

scgargoyle

It's been raining almost every day here in upstate SC. I'm personally responsible for it, since I'm trying to build a house. :D

At the official rain gauge in Greenville, they've had much less rain than we have only 15 miles away. Maybe they need to move it outside......
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Kansas

The guy that farms my little acreage of soybeans for me keeps saying don't bale them. They are barely hanging on. It did cool down though. And we have good chances starting Wensday.

Handy Andy, if you could find some wheat stubble to move into and bale, it doesn't make bad feed if you hit it with anhydrous ammonia. Might get you by somewhat to a better year.

sandhills

Folks are putting up whatever they can get their hands on around here even swathing the corn that never got over 3' or so, some baling it and some chopping it, it's just a mess no matter how you look at it, HandyAndy there's a lot of cattle moving here also.  I work at the salebarn in town and I'm not sure what we're going to sell this fall and winter because of all the light calves we've already sold.  :-\

wesdor

We had a chance of rain this past Wednesday, but the front fell apart before it got to us.  So far we have had about half an inch of rain since late in June. 

Corn and Soybeans are in BAD shape, and when you look at forests, you can see a few trees with leaves turning brown. It looks to me like some of the trees are actually dying. 

Really dry around here - we continue to pray and hope for rain.

sandhills

Sounds like we have a pretty good chance for rain tonight, hopefully we can get some and send it your way wesdor.

Magicman

This rain surely has made the grass grow.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JOE.G

We had a pretty dry march and April, May was Wet, June and July were Bone dry everything was dieing off and now August has been Raining all the time and a lot everytime, Didn't cut the grass at all in July and Now I am cutting it every 4 day's. The corn is still looking rough.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Al_Smith

With next to no precipitation the month of July we've had over 3 inchs so far in August .Considering everything  the corn for the most part appears to be doing  okay .That it seems to be when it was planted as well as what type hybred it was .The big question being was there enough moisture during germination or is it just growing cobs ?

The soybeans since the rain have rebounded and might do okay but it's too early to tell .

The grass especially in my front field will need some attention real soon as it now is over taking the weeds .Weeds always do well .They could grow on a concrete roadway I think with two drops of water a month .

Clam77

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 12, 2012, 01:06:19 PM
Weeds always do well .They could grow on a concrete roadway I think with two drops of water a month .

:D  There's roads around here where that's exactly what they do Al...  cept without the few drops of water.   
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Al_Smith

Yeah I'm going to go mow mine some time around 5:30-6 after the sun starts heading for the Pacific Ocean and it's a tad cooler .Two acres ,about one hour .Well meaning if the tractor stays running which always remains a mystery if .

If you ever get bored and have time on your hands get a bunch of old chainsaws and a few 60 year old tractors .You'll have plenty to do . :D

sandhills

Al you're right, you should really shoot for those 80 year old tractors, they last forever  ;)

petefrom bearswamp

Quite a bit of rain here recently.
Have mowed my lawn twice in the last week and a half and it needs it again.
Mostly gully washers here but it still helps.
Hope you guys in the mid west are doing better than previously.
Corn here now looks good as well as the soybeans.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

wesdor

Thanks Sandhill,
Not sure if it was what you sent or just nature, but we received an inch last night.

Won't help the corn much and beans are still in trouble, but at least it is a start!

We need more but this helped a lot

sandhills

wesdor, glad to hear that, we had a 50% chance, got about 50 drops  ::), kinda par for the course this year.

Kansas

This is the craziest weather I have ever seen, even for Kansas. Finally getting a little rain here today, not much, but maybe enough to help the soybeans limp along. Glad the guy who plants them for me chose to delay planting them. They still have a long shot at a crop. Rain in the forecast fairly regular now. I am actually wearing long sleeve shirt today. Mid August in Kansas.

Thank You Sponsors!