iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weigh system

Started by JustinW_NZ, July 28, 2012, 06:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Has anyone ever put an electronic weigh system on there mill? (like trucks use)
OR even know if its possible? - ive never touched them.

Just wondering, as we locally buy logs by the Ton in general so it would be a good seconday check for inventory through the mill and also i might have the opertunity to sit in a yard where I can mill what i please BUT i would probably need to measure it in tons without a loader without measurement.

Any ideas or comments?

OH - i have an orange LT-40 so i guess there is a mill deck to measure off? (on?) maybe?

Cheers

Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

levans

Justin, You may want to do a search on load cells, I've used them on feed bins and it sounds like what your talking about.

levans

I just looked at some cells myself, I think you could mount some cells under the bed of your mill, but that part of the bed would have to be able to "float" on the cell. I also have an lt40 and know what I'm thinking but don't know if I can put it into words, probably something I would have to draw out.

Cedarman

We use a Philadelphia 5000# scales for selling our sawdust.  Accurate to a 1/2#.  We weigh pallets of lumber, bundles of logs, big logs etc to figure weight.  It is more accurate then a bathroom scales.  We get it certified every so often.
It is a 4' x 4' platform.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sandhills

Justin I don't know how much animal agriculture there is in your part of the world but as levans suggested it shouldn't be to hard to do, if you can find a feedwagon and look at how the load cells are mounted, wouldn't be to tough to duplicate for a mill.

Ron Wenrich

You could scale them and convert to tons.  Less expense, and low tech.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

isawlogs

Instead of having the load cells on the mill, you could have them on the loading deck, you could load logs on it, weigh them , saw them and start over.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

amberwood

a very simple system would be a hyd pressure gauge fitted to the log loader, just like a forklift weight gauge.
It would just need calibration
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

JustinW_NZ

Thanks for the input, was thinking if it could be done with load cells on the deck that would be awesome for us mobile millers, finish the job and tell the customer from your x tons off wood we got xx cubic meters of lumber. Or I alone in my idea?
U could mount each leg on load cells 2 I guess, cost a bit too though!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

amberwood

easy enougn on a WM loader, just a pressure gauge on the loader circuit. The weight of each log could be recorded as they came off the ground.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

JustinW_NZ

Why yes! I understand :-)

That would do the trick

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Cedarman

Just remember when you drop that 3000# log on the mill instead of roll it, you may just have to buy new load cells.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bandmiller2

Amberwoody has the best solution a simple pressure gauge on the hoist circuit.You will have to make up a tare sheet I'd do the math and test with a known weight,it would be plenty close for sawlogs. I have some old truck scales and they work hydraulically. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 29, 2012, 08:22:02 AM
Amberwoody has the best solution a simple pressure gauge on the hoist circuit.You will have to make up a tare sheet I'd do the math and test with a known weight,it would be plenty close for sawlogs. I have some old truck scales and they work hydraulically. Frank C.

Yeah I agree, I will call it the Amberwoody Scale System  ;D
The math bit i might need to work out for sure, but it would be ok i think.

Now just to see if I can get some more work to pay for it - since that always helps!

Cheers all

Justin
Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!