iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The right logs for the job

Started by rmack, July 27, 2012, 10:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

is there a chart, or formula for figuring out how big a diameter of log is necessary to make a certain size cant?

say, 18"x18" or 12"x12"
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

RD

A squared plus B Squared equals C squared.

Kansas

If a log is perfectly straight, and you want no bark on it, it takes about a 17 inch log to get a 12 inch cant. An 18" cant? I would say around 24 or 25 inch log would be required. So much of it depends on the log. If your log is more oval, that requires different cutting to get what you want. And most logs are not round, so to speak. Guess it also depends on if some wane is acceptable for your application.

Seems to me one of our members from overseas came up with an application that might have included that, that had to do with downloading the application on a cell phone. His name escapes me now.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: RD on July 27, 2012, 10:12:33 AM
A squared plus B Squared equals C squared.

Yep. For square cants, C will be a constant of 1.41. You can multiply this by the A to get the diagonal. For rectangles you would need to work the math. And of course what Kansas said.

Nomad

Rmack, you can also take a look in the Forum Toolbox.  There's a calculator in it for that, along with a lot of other neat stuff.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WH_Conley

Rule of thumb. Add 2 sides, say you want an 8 x 10. Add 8+10 divide by 2 multiply by 1.5. Requires a 13.5' log. It better look like a piece of pipe laying there and the sawyer better not mess up. A 12x12 would take an 18" log. I can't take credit for this formula, I got it here off the forum some time back. It has served me well.
Bill

Woodsrover

Forget all that math and grow square trees.

Jeff

The Forestry Forum Toolbox is your friend. :)

he Cant size calc is also available in your mobile view of the Forestry Forum under the toolbox link.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom the Sawyer

For an off-the-top-of-your-head calculation, take 70% of the diameter inside the bark, it'll get you pretty close (20" log x 70% = 14" cant).  ;) ;)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Larry

I found a better solution than the mathematical one, especially on minimum odd shape logs.  Cut a square out of plywood and lay it on the small end.  You can move it around to put the wane on all four corners or maybe just one corner.  When you're happy mark two sides with a Sharpie for your opening cuts.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rmack

well, there sure are a number of good solutions here.  8)

thanks for the replies. 

gotta say, that plywood trick sounds like a good one for me. 

and that toolbox will be getting a lot more use too. :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!