iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fly Traps

Started by metalspinner, July 26, 2012, 06:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Nick has been working on the Flyfishing merit badge for scouts. Monday night they had a fly tying class.  He was super geeked up about tying the flies. :D That inspired me to make something a little more fittng than the plastic box we picked up at Wally World to store his flyies.

This one is QS Sycamore.

A couple weeks ago we visited a flyfishing shop in Townsend, TN.  Flyfisherman must all be rich!   :o  I think I'll get a dozen of these together and see if we can work out a deal with the shop owner. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

wheelinguy

I think that looks great!  I bet the shop owner would love to have some of them in his shop! I would like to get my hands on some of that wood.  Great work.

WDH

That is the nicest fly-box that I have ever seen  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Nice box and the flies look pretty respectable as well. Hope the fish like them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is a touch of class for sure.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

wheelinguy,

Like most woodworkers, I have a pile of shorts that are just too nice to throw out.  This board came from that pile. ;)  This project requires the boards to be about 3 1/4" wide rough.  So I still have plenty of rippin's in the pile awaiting another bright idea. :D

Coming up with repeatable procedures and efficient processes is the key to making these things affordably.  That is my favorite part of product development - trimming off 30 seconds here and there to get to a good price point.

beenthere,
Fly tying gear may fill one of the drawers in his new workbench. :)  The flies in this box were ones we picked out at the fly shop.  But the fuzzy green one and the blue wasp are the ones they made in class.  His look pretty good, though he does not want to fish with them.

QuoteThat is a touch of class for sure.

Magicman,
If I'm not going to be catchin' any fish, I might as well look good doing it. :D

thecfarm

That looks nice.My wife's ex is trying to get our grandson into tying flys. He will show me some things about his flys,like how straight it is, and I'll say looks good. Don't understand all of the tying stuff,but would like him to show an interest in something.
Sound almost like Red Green.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Ray,

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

That is truly a special unique case. Absolutely beautiful..   8)
Think like a farmer.

Claybraker

Quote from: metalspinner on July 26, 2012, 06:33:13 PM
Nick has been working on the Flyfishing merit badge for scouts.

A couple weeks ago we visited a flyfishing shop in Townsend, TN.  Flyfisherman must all be rich!   :o  I think I'll get a dozen of these together and see if we can work out a deal with the shop owner. ;D

Good bunch of folks at Little River Outfitters. It wouldn't hurt to put their logo on a prototype if you want to make a pitch to them. Just say'in.

Something else that works good in fly shops is wading staffs. Wholesale to the shop at $10, the shop can sell them retail as an impulse item for $20. Is there a merit badge for entrepreneur?

isawlogs

That is sure a buty, I like going down to the river here and catch a trout or two on a fly. Seams time just rolls by when your trowing a fly in a pool.

I tied my own flies some twenty years ago and still have all that in a box. I got it all out last summer and was about to do a few when lack of the right thread came about, it got put on the back burner, I really should get that out a tie a few.

Did he tie that fly on his own  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bill Gaiche

Your being inspired sure took on some real beauty. That is some awsume looking wood. I am going to have to cut me some sycamore and get inspired to make something purdy like you did. bg

WDH

A blanket chest!  Wouldn't that QS sycamore make a fine blanket chest  smiley_sidelightbulb.

metalspinner

Yes it would, W!

I have the wood.  When can I drop it by your place for you to make me one? :D

T Welsh

metalspinner, Nice stash of quarter sawn Sycamore. Tim

WDH

Get in line behind Ellmoe  :D.  He needs a table.

Todd

Really nice box!  Now, make sure it floats---every time i go fly fishing things end up in the river floating away from me at a high rate of speed!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

thecfarm

Put a chain on it,like those big wallets.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

giant splinter

Very nice work and a super design,is that a magnet for the latch ... great job
"chances are the fish won't care what your fly's are stashed in,but why take the chance" as he fills it with his own flies it will be even more special.
roll with it

Tree Feller

That's a gorgeous box. The QS Sycamore really stands out.

I think it would sell very well to fly fishermen.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Texas Ranger

Well, built the trap.  Have a good collection of ants and flies, but no skeatters. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Patty

Your work is awe inspiring, Metal!! Keep it up, I sure enjoy seeing what you do.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

metalspinner

I'm glad you guys are enjoying them. :)  Here are a few more.  These are my first two "runs" of them.  I think the price point I'm targeting is within reach.

My mobile finishing room. :D

Spalted curly maple...

Spalted beech...

Quatersawn sycamore...

Spalted maple...

Regular ole' walnut...

Buggy, splated, curly maple ;D...

I'm still thinking of different ways to secure the flys in the box. The cork strip just isn't cutting it.  I little bumping around and the flies knock loose. 

My procurement manager is out securing materials for the next idea...

Ron Scott

~Ron

Phorester

Very nice!  Some thoughts............
Being a Scout leader for many years I've seen Scouts lose things like this very quickly.  Really frustrating for the one (me) who made it. And even though a Scout is trustworthy.... some items tend to walk away with others.....  Now I realize that this is going to happen, so I don't use high value wood for Scout items. I also make them tough over decorative. Scouts will beat them to death, sit on them, accidently stomp on them, etc.

I'd try adding a hole on a corner and adding a length of cord, or add some way to tie these boxes to a fishing vest. As you know they can slip out of wet or cold fumbling hands quickly and into fast moving water. Even making one surface rough might help.

Might try two different sizes.  For Scouts and women, their smaller hands might call for a more narrow box.

Would a strip of magnetic tape inside work to secure the flies better?

Thank You Sponsors!