iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 380

Started by Ohio_Bill, July 25, 2012, 09:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

How wide is a Timberjack  380 ?  I am considering buying one and don't want to get something  that would require a permit to haul .  Thanks
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

doghunter

Autocar

I don't know alot about timberjacks but most of the 360's Ive been around are over with. Some crews have told me they have turned there tires in ward and it makes them ok with the law. Ohio now dosen't issue permitts anymore and now you have to go to private companys to get them. Two years ago my permitt cost me ten dollars then last year it went to a hundred dollars then this year they don't do it anymore go figure I can't figure it out. Is a 380 bigger ?
Bill

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ohio_Bill

Thanks for the width info and also for permit update for Ohio . I am not sure that something that wide would be worth all the trouble  .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ga jones

Im pulling this post because im looking at a 380 and also wondering about width lenght and weight. the one im looking at has 18.4x26 rubber. small for a 380. 453 detroit mid 70s maybe? eaton on the front of the grill.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

loggah

Thats awfully small rubber for a 380, most of the ones i have seen around here have 24.5x 32 rubber. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lumberjack48

Somebody got smart and got rid of that wide rubber. That 380 will pull like a mule and get around in the woods better and burn less fuel with 18.4 x 26's. The wider the tire the less ground weight per square inch you have, meaning less traction.

When i bought a new S8A, i can't remember what size the tires were [big en wide] they brought it out to the job, got it unloaded, i got on my new horse, very excited to start pulling wood. I pulled out in the snow, about 2 feet deep, it started spinning, there i set, it was like a big mud turtle, i was stuck on nothing. The sales man was embarrassed, he couldn't believe it got stuck. We had to go get the C5D with 16.9 x 30's on it to pull it out. I tried it again, stuck again there was no use. So, here i am with a $80,000. skidder that can't get off the main road, it was a joke, i was pretty upset. The dealer called the main office and told-em it wouldn't go in the snow. When he got off the phone the deal was to throw in a new set of chains. The service truck will have them there first thing in the morning and put-em on. That did the trick, but that 358 6 cylinder, power shift with a blower liked her fuel. This was my first experience with wide tires and my last.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

loggah

The smaller tires got more rimpull, but you cant load it as heavy as the machine was designed to pull ,you will be fixing flats and ripped tubes with that small rubber. To say nothing about having very little ground clearance, try backing up a steep slope you will spin out and get hung on any rock or stump no matter how low you cut them. I had 18.4 x34 on my timberjack 230 and 518 cat and they were a bit small on the cat,i had 24.5 x 32 on my C6D tree farmer they fit the machine pretty well,then on my last Franklin 660 dual arch grapple with winch i had 30.5 x 32, you needed the big rubber to pull with the grapple. I ran double diamond pedno chains on all four tires on my bigger machines. The 30.5 x 32 tires dont really like deep snow, but i was cutting most of the trees with a John Deere  tracked feller buncher and running that around knocked the snow depth down pretty well making travel a bit easier. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lumberjack48

The ground around here is basically flat with no rocks. I had 18.4 x 26's on my S8, no chains, the tires were loaded, in big Aspen i could average 2 cords a drag. I have never ripped a tube, yes i had enough power to spin-em. If i would have run 18 to 20 lbs of air like they call for, i would have had problems. I ran 30 lbs, no more broken belts or side walls, or punchers, i learned this the hard way.

I got a sale about a mile west of Winnie Dam on County rd 9 on the south side. There is some steep ground on it, my C5D with 18.4-34's wouldn't climb it, or go down, going up it jumped up an down spinning, going down the back wheels wanted to pass the front.
My S8 power shift with 18.4-26's was right at home on that hill, going up or coming down, i was very impressed with it. This was a selective cut sale, Norway, White pine, and Jack pine, some real tight skidding even with small tires. I know the wide tires are good where their needed. The kind of logging i did, i didn't want the machine wider then the blade.  I never had an issue with ground clearance, we ran it 17 yrs, most of the yrs, yr around.         
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

poorfarm

i have 1980 tj 380 mine has oversized tires 9'6'' wide... weight 20k i have books on this unit and can tell you whatever you need to know about it .. good and bad..

Thank You Sponsors!