iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas 618 measuring scale

Started by chep, July 24, 2012, 09:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chep

Hi,
  I finally got my 6-18 back from the shop. Runs like a champ.
My question is on the sliding scale that "clamps" to the vertical rail. Does anyone else have trouble with a scale that slides all over the place easily? Hard to keep consistent.
  I am sure someone made up a neat scale for both ends of the mill that is fitted to the rails...I sure would be open to suggestions as well.

thanks

boatman

I just use spring clamps to hold the scales.

fishpharmer

Velcro holds my Lucas vertical scales. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

chep

Do you see an advantage to having a movable 10 inch scale though? Or would a fixed full height scale be more practical.  I am still new to this mill, but am trying to work through it

thanks

fishpharmer

I like the moveable scales.  There may be a better way.  I considered a rigging a fixed scale.  The advantage/disadvantage of a Lucas mill used for portable sawing is that each end of the rails can be so easily adjusted for diameter, taper, slope etc...  Therefore it has no definite starting or ending point for different logs. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

logboy

Make sure your scales are slid all the way up on the round post so they butt up against the square stock the winch is attached to. Like this:

Before you make any adjustments during sawing, give it a quick nudge to make sure it is up all the way. Then you always know your measurements will be on.  If it slides too easy try bending it a little.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

chep

Thanks for the replies. Guess I need to learn to use the scale included. :)

Ok, so I went out and started sawing up a hemlock log brought home from a tree job. 22 inches on the butt. All is going pretty well, my lumber was 1/4 thin, then 1/4 inch thick, then just as I got it where i wanted, I felt something hot on my leg. Looked down, and oil is spraying all over the place, and HOT :(

I shut her down real quick. Oil is coming out of the drive area from above the blade. This was a horizontal cut. The oil resevoir is empty above that... did I blow a seal? or worse? It had just come into a knot, and i was adjusting my forward pressure

logboy

Sounds like you blew a seal or something in the lower unit. Was it red transmission fluid? Or black engine oil from the motor?  The lower gear unit takes transmission oil. When things cool off see if you can find the leak. I've heard of the older ones having problems but never actually seen it myself. You can either make a call to Baileys or try Lucas directly. Lucas has always been great about getting back to me with answers.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

chep

chep

and when I checked the lower unit (i assume you mean the one that is right above the saw) it was out of oil. Previous owner may have filled with engine oil not trans.

Holmes

I gently heated the clamp area up and reshaped the clamp to grip harder.  I believe it is abs plastic so it can melt.  Put the ends in hot water then compress them until they cool.  They now grip better  not great.
Think like a farmer.

sigidi

Another thing you can do is fit a zip tie or cable tie to the scale. I do as logboy does, I keep it hard against the square tubing at the top of the post, this way you know it always stays there. Or another thing to do is use a 2" bit of pvc with a cut out of it and slide this over the 'claw' of the scale.

On the oil issue, chuck up some pics man ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!