iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel tank leaking

Started by slider, July 24, 2012, 09:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Have a diesel tank leaking .I'm not looking for reasons not to weld it just wondering if someone here has experience at this.If I don't feel comfortable with it i can farm it out.Just don't want to if I don't have to.I have a pressure washer one is heated if i need it.I would prefer not to fill it with water if i can do it safely another way.I can braze it,wire weld it or tig it.Thanks  al
al glenn

LAZERDAN

NAPA has a very good epoxy fiberglass repair kit.  Fairly simple and quick, and has worked well for me.     Lazerdan

giant splinter

I have one experience with a fuel tank leaking and my mechanic asked me to rub a bar of soap into the crack in the tank. It stopped the leak till he got out to repair the tank, the leak was caused by vibration and he welded it up without removing the fuel. The soap was a good temporary fix and did stop the leak temporarily.
roll with it

scsmith42

Slider, I've welded diesel tanks on heavy equipment by flooding the tank with an intert gas (such as C02 from a MIG welder.

I calculated the amount of cubic feet in the tank, and then ran a hose from the regulator to the tank and let it run long enough until the tank was full and the air displaced.  While welding, I left the regulator running as well.

I've also used the water method, but the gas was cleaner.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

slider

i dropped it off this morning .we cleaned it out first then they filled it with soapy water .they then put in a air line and on low pressure let it bubble all afternoon.this method is what they feel is safe.They were using a hose from a tailpipe of a running vehicle until they had one explode.
al glenn

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: giant splinter on July 25, 2012, 12:37:42 AM
I have one experience with a fuel tank leaking and my mechanic asked me to rub a bar of soap into the crack in the tank. It stopped the leak till he got out to repair the tank, the leak was caused by vibration and he welded it up without removing the fuel. The soap was a good temporary fix and did stop the leak temporarily.
That is what we did when I was on the fire dept.  Gas tank on a auto would be leaking so we would put bar soap in the leak. Worked well until it was fixed.

Magicman

Vehicle exhaust piped into the tank will also make it safe to weld.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHARLIE

I'd use an epoxy. That stuff is strong.  Another old method to fix a pinhole leak is to screw a sheetmetal screw, with a little gasket, on it into the hole.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

lumberjack48

I had a gas tank rust out on a pickup, it ended up being about a 4" hole in it. I fixed it with Liquid Steel and screen, worked perfect.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

beenthere

lumberjack
QuoteI had a gas take rust out on a pickup

I finally figured it out. ;)   8) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!