iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colonoscopy

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2012, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After my double hernia surgery it was a couple of days before I could straighten up.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

My hernia was abdominal and at an old incision sight from a previous surgery in 1999. It hurt less than the colonostomy.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on December 22, 2015, 05:25:46 PM
Apparently my colon is a little different than most people and has a few extra turns to it. It was not a comfortable procedure and he was not able to scan all of it. The barium exam to follow up was not overly fun either and the prep for both procedures was no fun at all. But, I'm clear and good for another 10 years. I had a hernia repair the day after the colonoscopy so that added to the discomfort.

Kinda like opinions Lee!

Opinions are like ___________, everyone has one!  old saying!

Just thought I'd add a little humor to this subject!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Well I got itdone.  Drinking all that stuff was the worst part.  They found one small polup....pretty small about 5mm....to my thinking that's less than a 1/4 inch. I will know if it was cancerous when the results come back.  I hope it is not, but if it is I am glad its gone.  Going to have a couple of heart test tomorrow.   I will say there were some very nice folks at the center that did my procedure in Tupelo.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Thanks for getting it done my friend.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I agree Banjo, the prep is the worse part!   ::)  :-X
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

X2. I had to do the prep 3 times in a row. Once for the colonoscopy, once for a hernia surgery the day after the colonoscopy and the next day after that again for a barium enema because my colon is weird shaped and they couldn't get the probe all the way around. The last one was by far the worst. Dr told me I was good for another 10 years. I sure hope they come up with a different procedure by then.  :-\
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

after 3 days of "cleansing" what did you ... ah nebber mine. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LeeB

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on January 08, 2016, 07:56:10 AM
X2. I had to do the prep 3 times in a row. Once for the colonoscopy, once for a hernia surgery the day after the colonoscopy and the next day after that again for a barium enema because my colon is weird shaped and they couldn't get the probe all the way around. The last one was by far the worst. Dr told me I was good for another 10 years. I sure hope they come up with a different procedure by then.  :-\

Lee; In another 10 years they'll probably have a drive-through window!   ;D

LeeB

Banjo picker

Got my test results back yesterday,  it was basically benign.  Said it was the kind that could turn into cancer if left too long.  I don't rember the medical name they called it, but said that my sons should get checked.....I doubt I will be that persuasive, but will try.  Said see you in 5 years.  The heart test said i had a normal amount of plaque.  Guess i just need to get in shape.  Need to stay around and watch my new granddaughter grow up.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 08, 2016, 11:49:09 AM
Need to stay around and watch my new granddaughter grow up.  Banjo

If that ain't enough reason to get it done, nothing is.

Glad to hear the good news, Banjo.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sawwood

Had my Colonoscopy done yesterday and doctor said all looked good, Just waiting for the test to come back.
While I was under they did a stomach to check on my acid reflex and they said it look ok. Said I am good
for 5 years before I need it done again.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Crow99

Just an observation on some aftermath.  I had a colonoscopy last spring, 2 small polyps removed, everything else ok, to be scheduled again in 3 years.  However, I noticed that my bowel habits changed quite a bit. Not as regular, inconsistent from hard to soft and back again, sometimes couldn't go for 2 or 3 days.  I didn't think much of this figuring I would eventually get back to "regular," but it didn't happen.  In the fall I had back surgery, and before that a 1 month bout with acid reflux. It was a fun year to be sure.  Through all this I was experiencing a bunch of gas as well.  I know I should have gone back to see the doc,  but I didn't.
Anyway, my digestion still wasn't doing that well.  My wife suggested that I try "probiotics.."  I hate yogurt, tried a couple of times with no results, and finally saw a commercial for some Phillips "digestive health"stuff..  .1.5 billion little bacteria in each little pill. Long story short, I tried it and 3 weeks later everything is back to normal, maybe even better than before.  We figured that the clean out must have killed a bunch of essential bacteria that didn't grow back and needed to be replaced.  I've never heard this mentioned by the doctor  or anybody else, so I don't know how common this is.
Anybody else experience anything similar?

doctorb

Cannot say that I have heard of this, but your explanation makes sense.  Did you discuss it with your gastroenterologist?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Crow99

Not yet. But I have an appointment next week and I will bring it up.

dgdrls

Quote from: Crow99 on January 21, 2016, 10:41:51 AM
Just an observation on some aftermath.  I had a colonoscopy last spring, 2 small polyps removed, everything else ok, to be scheduled again in 3 years.  However, I noticed that my bowel habits changed quite a bit. Not as regular, inconsistent from hard to soft and back again, sometimes couldn't go for 2 or 3 days.  I didn't think much of this figuring I would eventually get back to "regular," but it didn't happen.  In the fall I had back surgery, and before that a 1 month bout with acid reflux. It was a fun year to be sure.  Through all this I was experiencing a bunch of gas as well.  I know I should have gone back to see the doc,  but I didn't.
Anyway, my digestion still wasn't doing that well.  My wife suggested that I try "probiotics.."  I hate yogurt, tried a couple of times with no results, and finally saw a commercial for some Phillips "digestive health"stuff..  .1.5 billion little bacteria in each little pill. Long story short, I tried it and 3 weeks later everything is back to normal, maybe even better than before.  We figured that the clean out must have killed a bunch of essential bacteria that didn't grow back and needed to be replaced.  I've never heard this mentioned by the doctor  or anybody else, so I don't know how common this is.
Anybody else experience anything similar?

Thank you Crow99, 
I too have experienced some similar effects 
thankfully no 2-3 day "waiting"

Dan

rick carpenter

I had one done two years ago and only had to do the pills. I did have to drink a lot of non-red liquids to replenish though, so my wife bought gallons of blue gatorade. (Friends that had colonoscopies were very perturbed I didn't have to drink the nasty stuff. Heh heh heh, I laughed at them.) I had a clean enough report with only two polyps to watch, and they said I have diverticulosis. I'm soon to be 56 and I have eaten spicy food all my life and never had any bouts of diverticulitis, not even upset stomach after eating spicy.

One thing not to do is to sign the form allowing medical students to watch. I figured no problem, I'd be out cold and I'd never see them. Uhh, nope! Two girls came in while I was on the table on my side. I think the doc even introduced them to me. Oh well, they were in front so I was just whatever. [Dramatic Pause] Then the third girl came in. I guess she had bought season tickets or something because they parked her right at my rear. Hello! Only the doc had a better view. Luckily then the lights started... going...... out.........

On the way home my wife treated me to the greasiest double cheeseburger in town = WINNER!
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Raider Bill

I'm heading into the GI Doc this morning for every 2 year my pre scope consult. New Dr so we'll see how things go. I got used to the old Doctor, small fingers and a cute assistant.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 11, 2016, 07:52:10 AM
I'm heading into the GI Doc this morning for every 2 year my pre scope consult. New Dr so we'll see how things go. I got used to the old Doctor, small fingers and a cute assistant.
small fingers are definately a must and a cute assistant helps take your mind off of it  ;D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Raider Bill

Well I'm back. March 8th is the day. Met the new assistant, has a beard, mustache and looks like a power lifter. No idea what the Doc looks like. electricuted-smiley

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Raider Bill

Started the prep this morning.

I figure this will be my 10th scope in 20 years.

Not getting any easier although I have perfected the prep sludge a bit so I don't have to drink quite so much of the nasty crap.

LeeB

My condolences on the prep phase. Next to trying to not paint everyone in the exam room it's the worst part.

Thank You Sponsors!