iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder not working out

Started by logman81, July 24, 2012, 06:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Well after all the time and money I put into this skidder putting tires on it trying to get the winch to work 100% and painting it it failed me again on a job I just tryed to do with it. The winch needs more work now it needs clutch bands. I have put more money into it than I have gotten out of it but that is how it goes some times. So time to sell it plus it is a little to big for what I do so I am going to either trade for smaller one or use the money when this sells to buy smaller one needing less work.
Precision Firewood & Logging

lumberjack48

What makes you think it needs new bands ?

I wish i could be there to show all the different methods you can use using a pole skidder. Thats not a big skidder, its about the same as a C4 or a 440 Deere, 230 TJ. I don't think you've fell into the right method with it, all timber is different.
I know guys that have had a pole skidder 20 yrs and still can't get it. The thing is if the feller isn't working with the machine you  produce 1/2 the wood. Over all my yrs with a pole skidder I've tried every method there is.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

The bands are worn unevenly and the primary band is seperating from thr metal backing. I tryed adjusting the cams and the results are either it starts to winch in as soon as the pto is engaged or if I back them off it wont winch in. And I was using feeler gauges when tring to adjust following specs in manual. Plus it needs pins in the blade and radial bearings in the rear where it pivots just to many little problems and no $$ to fix. I would say it is closer to a c5 or 540 deere.

a old timberjack

your problems are minor!!! i bet you that out of 20 loggers they wish they had those little mechanical problems you got compared to theirs. thats normal stuff in the woods!!! if you uy a different 1, how do you know that will not have more issues in a few weeks??? throwin in the towel to soon my boy, if you get a smaller 1, it would never pull wood like jay has. and thats where you are gonna make a dollar, thats the wood you got to try to find, its out there, dont give up and dont go backwards!!! 
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

a old timberjack

cheer up, dont be down and out!! you can do it.

woodtick#2

Well said, I wouldnt do anything drastic just yet.  Take some time to think about it.
-Nathan

stoneeaglefarm

Here is some thoughts from a logger who has been at it for 27 years. If you work alone and have a low over head having a small machine is great, A man by himself can only cut and haul so much wood in a day.I have been working alone again  for over 10 years after having several skidders, and employees and head aches. I run a 440c and have found after having 15 different skidders that i like this one, easy on and off, excellent on fuel, pulls a thousand feet of pine easy as well as hard wood, If a single operator with a saw can cut a load of pine, a load of firewood, a load of anything in a day he will make a O.K. living. I like the smaller machine for the price of repairs, tires, chains and all that goes with it, Find a machine your comfortable with and stay the course, They all break, Be gentle with them, Pull a load a day and be happy, A single operator does not need a 648, a 240, a cat 525, Remember the machine can only pull what ya put on the ground. Good luck.

treefarmer87

i agree with stoneeaglefarm, be easy on it, you dont have a payment on it, they dont make any that dont break down, if they did everyone would have one. my c6 is as big as im going, 2 drags is more than a load on my truck for short logs. you said the primary band is seperating from the metal backing? is the winch leaking at all?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Mark K

My C7d did the same thing a couple months back. I replaced the band the way Davco's mechanic told me to and havent had problems since. I cleaned up all the cams and filed off the flat spots. Never siezed the cams where they run in the band. Used 6 hacksaw blades to set the band to drum clearance. Mines a cancar 20 winch. It will stand that c7 up.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ironwood

I am no logger but mechanical break downs happen and it is FAR better than nervous breakdowns from sweating a payment every month, stay the course. Like they said if they broke everyone would have THAT model.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ed_K

Like everyone has said,"stay with it". There's a 2 part epoxy,from 3m that will get your band to stay together,don't use liquid steel.I spent 12k on my skidder 2yrs ago and still have little things go wrong,and i have to worry about mo payment.It ran for 11yrs with problems,but it pulled wood.
You can do it.
Ed K

logman81

Thanks for all your advice guys I'm sure the situation can be resolved one way ot another. I know the winch can be fixed with a good cleaning of the drum and new bands. The thing that scares me is the pettibone only parts that will be near impossible to get for it.

Ohio_Bill

Hang in there logman .  I have an old skidder also which I suspect has parts that are not available. I have operated it for 10 plus years with several breakdowns. Some times I get discouraged but all in all has been much better than payments on a new machine.  I would not want to go back to the woods without a skidder. I am considering adding another older skidder in hopes of having one that works at any given time. :D
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

logman81

Thanks, if I cant sell it I'll have to price out a set of bands and hope it works.

a old timberjack

you can get those parts, you got to learn what will fit, spend time call around, etc, etc, alot of older skidders were componate machines, im gonna use timberjack for example, detroit , dutz, cummins, ford, engines, clark or new porosess trannys ( found in alot of dodge trucks) eaton or rockwell axels, hercules, eaton or gearamatic winches, list goes on in on. you got a guy within driving distance that has every part for your winch and axels at all times and just about everything else, wen you have a old machine, you just cant call the guy and say, i got a ........skidder, learn what the part is and study it and use your resourses, hyd shops, big truck stores, a good nappa, etc etc. you dont have to call out west and wait 3 weeks for him to mail it. you can do it. bands aint cheep, i paid almost 400.00 for my herc. band. you should give the a few of the local mills a call and see if they can hook you up with work, call marc t. also.  if you want to work there is work out there. the wood buisiness is tuff  for sure. it can get you. you can do it, you made it this far. dont be afaraid to call, i know me and i bet wood tick would help you if needed. good luck.

stoneeaglefarm

Dave, Try PB&H here in Antrim for info on parts, They have solved all my problems over a 10 year period, They are on the net, Stay the course, Logging is a tough buisness, But, Regardless of the problems if you are a man that is ment to be in the woods there is no better high than getting by the [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] times, Logging is like fishing, I have several friends that commercial fish and go thru the same thing, Find a machine you like and stay the course. Spent 5 hours today logging in stone ledges, First 3 trees opened up rotten, But the next 3 opened up clean, Hard maples, Clear 18 inch  10 foot 6 veneer logs, 6 hours of work for those trees and aftyer 27 years I sat on the landing with a smile, Working in the woods is for those of us that just plan love the idea of it. Stay the course.

logman81

I have a guy that is interested in it locally. He has a c4 tree farmer with a gas engine. Not really to interested in his machine because of it being gas. But he thought what I was asking for it was fair. I agree with what you said petter veary true.

Ironwood

You know the "system" today is stacked against us folks who use ANYTHING more than a few years. Pick a product, stationary tools, trucks, skidders, skidsteers, washing machines,....you name it. Things are not designed or supported to last very long. My buddy has a 8875 John Deere skidloader, drive motors no longer supported by JD,.....Duh, they go out, folks NEED them. He had to backtrack to the original pump supplier and buy the internal and then partially modify the housing to make it work. Grizzly shop tool, drops much support of it's tool line over 5 years or so. Not like the old days where companies made the same "unit" for 10-20-30 years.  Shame, but yet another challenge to overcome......I run all older equipment and just enjoy owning it, it not owning me.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

hillsidevt

Quote from: Ironwood on July 26, 2012, 10:43:19 AM
My buddy has a 8875 John Deere skidloader, drive motors no longer supported by JD,.....Duh, they go out, folks NEED them. He had to backtrack to the original pump supplier and buy the internal and then partially modify the housing to make it work.
Ironwood

did he check with new holland?  i believe a deere 8875 is same as lx885 new holland which is still supported
NH supports some equipment back to the 50's

Ironwood

He is a prof. mech so I assume so.

Ironwood

lumberjack48

I owned a C4 gas TF, is a good skidder, ran on 5 to 8 gals of as a day. I don't understand what a person would have against a gas engine. The Ford industrial motor is a good engine, what i liked about it, it would start at -40 with no heat on it.

It takes just as much room to operate the C4 as your skidder, i've ran C4's and C5's many years.
All your doing is changing problems, what ever you buy is going to have issues. I learned to fix what i had, then you know what you have. When you bought the skidder you knew it had problems, don't give up on the ole girl. The more you put in her the better she'll serve you, once all these issues are repaired she'll be good to you for a long time.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

I would have to agree with you for the most part lumbetjack48 I was thinking that a smaller skidder would be better suited to what I do.

lumberjack48

logman81 do whats right for you, i myself made to many hasty decisions in my life time.

logman81

Well I got some thinking to do. I may just have to hang on to this one and fix it.

Mark K

I had a Timberjack 225 that I owned for many years. I knew what I put into it for parts. Simple machine to work on. I knew all the in's and out's of the machine. Breakdowns happen and I usually had the parts to fix it or could have them within a day. It burned in Febuary on the landing while I was eating my lunch. I started over with a TF c7d that is 20 years newer. I've had to work some bugs out of it. Its all new to me. This machine will definitaly pull more wood but its almost twice the size. Id trade it back for my old Tj.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!