iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Breakdown On WM/Advice needed UPDATED

Started by 123maxbars, July 23, 2012, 09:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

First, I run a Hyd LT35. It has 105hours on the mill. I am the only owner. This evening while sawing SYP the up/down failed. I finished a cut and backed up my saw head to the starting position to make my next cut. I had the accuset set to saw 2in boards. I was 6in from the deck, after hitting the down button the saw head went straight down and never stopped till it was resting on the frame/deck. I attempted to raise the head, it would go up about two inches, then pop and the saw head would come crashing back down and slam onto the saw deck. I tried this several times and got the same result. Tried a restart/letting machine cool for hour and got same result. I will be calling WM in the morning. Just wondering if anyone on here has had same experience. Any comments/advice would be appreciated,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Max, I have the simple set. I've not had any problems but Woodmizer will surely know what to tell you to do.

smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kgbond

I am not familiar with your mill, but if
It is hydraulic, I think there is a foreign body in the
Hydraulic system. Had a like problem
On 40 foot man lift. There was s piece of
Metal stuck in the valve itself, the up down
Failed and was doing what you experiencing.
I had to call for service.

Kimball

A

123maxbars

The Up/Down operates off an electric motor, 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

ruren

I received a letter right after I bought my LT35 stating some people had a problem with the head dropping on their mill and Woodmizer was working to figure out what caused it. I would contact them about it and see if it fits the problem they were working on. It matches the description in the letter from what I remember.

Quote from: 123maxbars on July 23, 2012, 09:33:01 PM
First, I run a Hyd LT35. It has 105hours on the mill. I am the only owner. This evening while sawing SYP the up/down failed. I finished a cut and backed up my saw head to the starting position to make my next cut. I had the accuset set to saw 2in boards. I was 6in from the deck, after hitting the down button the saw head went straight down and never stopped till it was resting on the frame/deck. I attempted to raise the head, it would go up about two inches, then pop and the saw head would come crashing back down and slam onto the saw deck. I tried this several times and got the same result. Tried a restart/letting machine cool for hour and got same result. I will be calling WM in the morning. Just wondering if anyone on here has had same experience. Any comments/advice would be appreciated,
Wood-Mizer LT35

tyb525

Sounds like a stripped gear or rack, I'm sure WM will take care of you. Remember the LT35 is a "new" model so not all the bugs have been worked out.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

wormy

i dont know about 35 but on the 40 the head is chain driven up and down i would check the sprockets to see if there were any teeth missing.

123maxbars

Talked to WM this morning, they are shipping me what they call a "LT35 Up/Down Upgrade" he said this has happened a few time and when it does they upgrade the electric motor. He said it is caused by gears failing in the motor. Got my invoice and it goes for around $500 but luckily it's under warranty.  They say its about a two hour install. He said it also comes with some other upgrades that I cant remember at the moment. I will start a post this week when it arrives on the install.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

fishpharmer

Wow, that's great!  I wouldn't expect anything less from Woodmizer! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

wormy

thats good they sent that to you. but i would have been more impressed if they would have contacted you before it went out and sent the upgrade. since it is a part they know has problems

MartyParsons

Hello.
The new motor kit will take care of the issue. It will take some labor time to install the motor but not bad.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Max......I'm glad it all worked out. I had to replace an under warranty part on my mill when I first got it. What I tore up was due to ME not reading the manuel   stupid_smiley.

I kind of enjoyed working on my mill.....I learned some things.

You'll be sawing again in no time.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: wormy on July 24, 2012, 06:38:00 PM
thats good they sent that to you. but i would have been more impressed if they would have contacted you before it went out and sent the upgrade. since it is a part they know has problems

Hey Wormy I hear what you are saying but most times it takes a few events like this one for the company to determine that a problem is widespread enough in the model and then it takes time to develop a real and reliable fix and not a bandaid. Generally once those issues are adressed the company will do a general upgrade for the problem without question. The first owners do end up as the "lab rats" but that is what warranty is for and Woodmizer is one of the best when it comes to warranty. That kind of warranty makes for Happy Endings.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

wormy

yea i probably jump the gun on that. i was a ford 6.0 owner and it really made me sick the way all the problems with it was adressed. i own a wooldmizer lt40 and i have to admit it is one of the most reliable and well built peices of equipment that i own.

Chuck White

I think the biggest thing going for Wood-Mizer sawmills is that it is so easily maintained.

There are no special tools or ancillary equipment required to maintain them.

Simple basic mechanical skills is all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer sawmill.

I have never seen a more detailed operator/service manual on any piece of equipment.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Chuck White on July 25, 2012, 04:09:43 PM

I have never seen a more detailed operator/service manual on any piece of equipment.

A lot of shop service manuals aren't even close to as good as the Wood Mizer owners manuals.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

rmack

I have to agree, there is a lot of information available in the two volumes (owners manual, and sawmill options for lt40hd-lt70hd) that came with my mill.

unfortunately, the sawmill options volume is bound so poorly that the first time you open it to a specific page, that page breaks free from the binding. It literally started self-destructing from the first time I opened it. the owners manual is a bit better, but not much. I will definitely be contacting the dealer to see about getting a replacement set.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

drobertson

I own an 2004 lt-40 super. There has been some issues with various components, accuset, transducers, gear boxes going out, H bridges, but for the most part the quality that comes off the mill is second to none. WM is good enough at helping trouble shoot when you get through the wait line.  The H bridge on my 40 has been the biggest problem. they did finally get me one that works. Thanks to a fellow named Mike. My head was dropping,rising, just going nuts, after the replaced new bridge no problems.  but in the mean while they had upgrades such as electric motor brakes, at $78 bucks, and they knew the gear boxes were failing without telling. And of course down time always happens when there is plenty of work! good luck on your mill.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

rmack
Punch it and put your manual in a three ring binder.
Or take it to an office supply house and have them spiral bind it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Hey beenthere, I just moved my daughter and new son-in-law to Paddock lake this past Feb. We were up for the forth week-end, where are you located? if you don't mind saying.   David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

drob
About 100 miles northwest of Paddock Lake.

Hope your daughter and SIL enjoy the state. Things are looking up with our non-recalled Gov.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Yea man, Levi is in Kenosha Coast Guard, Caitlin is now with the Wisconsin Childrens Hospital.  Just love the state! We are in Missouri, but it looks like you guys are having the same heat and drought as the rest of the country.  Just hate this, but the course is set, so we will just sail till it gets better. thanks for the kickback.  Have a good week brother,  David

rmack

Quote from: beenthere on July 30, 2012, 11:17:13 AM
rmack
Punch it and put your manual in a three ring binder.
Or take it to an office supply house and have them spiral bind it.

came up with a better idea...

called Woodmizer in Salmon Arm, new manuals are on the way. 8)

:)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!