iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tally sheet on pocket pc

Started by DansSawmill, March 08, 2004, 02:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DansSawmill

hi yall,
been playing with a pocket pc i got for christmas, dell axim,
and i was wondering if any of you people have one?
got a program i made to tally boards at the end of the day, figures out total board feet and total cost.. defaults to 220/Mbdft right now ( my custom charge )..anyways, if someone wants it holler, i'm fine tuning it now.
only works with ppc's thou.
dan
techno geek sawyer
 8)
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

BBTom

I have often wondered if that would be a good way to do things. It is a bit of a pain to do all the calculations at the end of the day.  How well does it work out, can you enter the numbers quickly enough to make it worth while? Do you like the Axim?  Tell me more!!  

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

BW_Williams

Would it work on palm OS?  I made an excell spredsheet, but can't figure out how to get it to the PDA?  If so please IM it to me,(can we IM attachments?)  Thanks BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Mobilesawyer

I too have an excel spread sheet that I use for this purpose. It is in fact a modified version of the one that was offered by Indepentant Sawmill and Woodlot last year. I also have one for log tallying. I would be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.

Cheers,
Jeff

MrMoo

Dan,
I have been wondering about doing a days tally on a pocket PC. I was concerned that dirt or I guess sawdust might be a problem. Keep us posted on how you make out.
Mike

Ron Wenrich

For my day end tally, I add up what I have in the mill with what I've taken out and subtract what was in the mill when I started.  I've been using this method for nearly 30 years, and it gets pretty close.  I just write everything down during the course of the day, do a final tally at night, and take about 2 minutes to figure it up at home.

I do layer counts on random width boards, and piece counts on dimension stock.

I put it on a spreadsheet, and can tell you how much I saw on any given day of the year.  I also track downtime and species.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DansSawmill

well lets see if i can post a pic of a screen capture of the emulator that i used to test the program...
i used to take pen and papper and count all the 1x8x10's and so on then multiply and add it all up, then multiply times cutting fee..
this is simpler , at least for me, i wouldnt drop it in a mud puddle or anything thou...
also i get customers that will pick a few boards out of a pile and say, how much, with this i can quote them a price fairly easily.....

hopefully that got it...
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

Kirk_Allen

WARNING >:(

Mobile Sawyer- did you get me email requesting the excel file for log tally sheet?

I sent you an email yesterday and today I got a email with "Log Tally Excel" in the subject and "Here is the excel file you wanted" in the message.  There was an attachement that made it past my Norton Virus but it appears it was in fact a bad virus.  It crashed my system bad!

After close to 4 hours of working on this I can just now use IE and get to a web site.  I still cant receive any email.  I can send it but I cant receive.

I would caution everyone to watch for a bogus file attachment.

Mobilesawyer, I know you may know nothing about this as many virus programs attack through email but I would encourage you to check you syste.

I will have to buy a Nortan upgrade and creat a rescue disk to fix this.  

This realy sucks.

Mobilesawyer

I am very sorry to hear that I sent a virus along with the excel spread sheet I had no idea my system was infected. In fact I have since run Macafee (it is current) and it shows no viruses on either of my systems. Again I am sorry if I was in any way responsible for infecting your system.

ksu_chainsaw

in response to using your poctet pc in a dusty environment, we are using lots of civilian electronics over here in Iraq, including a lot of poctet pc's and palm pilots.  So far, there are no problems with the systems, but time will tell.  I have also used my personal palm pilot on the farm for haying and cattle operations for several years now, and as long as it is cleaned every few days, I have had no problems with it.

Charles

MrMoo

ksu,
Thanks for the info about using the pocket pc in a dusty environment.
Do take care.
Mike

Jeff

Guys, will pocket p.c's run java script?  do our calculators work on them?  I would still like to find a way where we could bundle them all together for a hand held device for yooze guys.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DansSawmill

hey jeff, just found this link... its a program, free now, that will let you create programs on your ppc, uses java and vb comes with example programs... dont know how long it will be up thou
http://www.forwardpass.com/a.cgi?Release2004_Feb_10
try that out, looks pretty cool
dan
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too

smwwoody

Mobilesawyer

I got your e-mail with the excell files.  there were no virus problems with the ones you sent me.  Thanks for sending them they worked great.  once I looked at them I made one for Hardwood lumber too.  If you want I could send it back to you.  Now I am working on a data base to save and total them for each month.

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Mobilesawyer

Just a quick note to KirkAllen and anyone who might have been following this thread. I am feeling a lot better now that I realise I didn't even send my excel spread sheets to Kirk. The only request I received was from smwwoody and I sent him the the files. As you can see by the above post the files were not corrupted. Kirk I think you have been duped and I'm sorry for that but I am feeling a whole lot better about not being responsible for your computer woes.
This still stands as a warning to us all on sharing files. When I sent these files I first ran them through my virus software and suggest the same happen at the receiving end. Lets not forget to put those condoms on boys and girls! :D

Jeff

Quotehey jeff, just found this link... its a program, free now, that will let you create programs on your ppc, uses java and vb comes with example programs... dont know how long it will be up thou
http://www.forwardpass.com/a.cgi?Release2004_Feb_10
try that out, looks pretty cool
dan

Tried it a while back, it wont run. Says its missing some needed .dll files. Not willing to fool with something that they cant even get the install right on. Probably why they are not supporting it any more.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

Mobile sawyer, if you notice my first question to you ; did you get me email requesting the excel file for log tally sheet?

I wasnt sure if you had actually recieved my request, let alone sent me the file.  The email address didnt jive but stupid me, I see Log Tally info in the message and I assumed it was from you so I opened the attachement.  

I dont recall the name of the virus but its new!  Norton cent me a cd to get things fixed.

If you dont mind sending me the file I would appreciate it.  

Thanks
Kirk

PS: I have no doubt that you would never knowingly send a virus.  Sorry if my comments may have reflected otherwise.  I simply wanted to give everyone heads up on what happen to me so they could be on the lookout for it.

FeltzE

I've done a few EXCEL type of sawmill related sheets a program that is available through office max and other retail outlets will transfer excell, and msword, to and from Palm OS Systems.  ....  found it   "Documents to Go" it works real well but the screen size if the Palm makes it a bit awkward to do large tallies.

Eric

Mobilesawyer

Hi Kirk I sent the files. Good luck.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!