iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk 40 v. Cook's MP-32

Started by hamptonlawyer, July 23, 2012, 05:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamptonlawyer

Looking at purchasing either an EZ Boardwalk 40 outright or going in halves with a friend for a Cook's MP-32 with the 12v up and down and 12 v forward and reverse.  I am leaning towards the Boardwalk simply because for $1,000.00 - $1,500.00 more I would own it outright and I don't see the 12v up/down and forward/reverse making that much difference.  I am 20 years younger than my friend, and i don't mind walking it back and forth whereas he is not so incliuned.  Only other advantage to the Cook's MP-32 deal would be that the friend has the ability to add hydraulic turning and loading as he is mechanically inclined, and I am not. 

Any thoughts?

Long time reader, first time poster.

Thanks.

SPD748

Welcome to the forum hamptonlawyer!

I can't speak for the EZ however I visited Cooks while contemplating a bandmill purchase. While there I found a great product and very helpful, professional people. In all my time here at the forum, I haven't read a bad word about either mill. Perhaps owners of each will chime in soon. Good luck!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
Where are you from? Guessing you are in fact a lawyer, too?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mikeb1079

i'm sure you'd be happy with either mill, and owning it outright it tempting for sure, but i'll say this:  the ability to add hydraulic loading and turning would be a major reason for me to consider the cooks.  you may not think you need it now but you may reconsider after loading and turning some big logs.  just a thought...
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

DDobbs

Welcome , I am fairly new also

Just got home from spending a couple hours with Ed at EZ Boardwalk. Wow what a great guy! He builds a nice mill. Spent most of my time looking at the EZ Jr. But also looked at the EZ 40. Both are very nice well built mills. Ed has it figured out well.
I just cant see the need for all the bell an whistles.

An you know if you go 1/2's where it is going to be everytime you want to use it. With a dull blade..........lol

Maybe I am thinking too much in to it.

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

hamptonlawyer

@ DDobbs  I know what you mean about where it would be when I needed it.  That is one of my primary concerns, and I suspect if the hydraulics were added, that would make it even less mobile.  One of the primary reasons I want a mill is to eliminate having to haul logs from my farm to a sawyer.  I have a neighbor with a Cooks mill a mile away who has sawed lumber for me in the past.  Just looking for something I can operate on the farm and not have to worry about loading logs and transporting them.

@mikeb1079 - I certainly understand about the hydraulics, but if it becomes an issue in the future I can always upgrade to another mill.  Right now this would be for personal use.  If I were contemplaiting doing it full time, then I would definitely go with full hydraulics.  I have a tractor with a loader, so the hardest part of the manual work would be the turning, and worse case I can draft some help. That's my rationalization at this point anyway.  If I am incorrect in any way, please correct me.  I dont pretend to know much about it other than what I have read on here and the limited time I worked with my neighbor on his mill.

@clww I am from Hampton, SC not Hampton, VA, but our oldest is stationed in Alexandria, VA.  I am a lawyer, but don't hold that against me. :-)

Thanks for all of the input.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hamptonlawyer on July 23, 2012, 08:06:55 PM
  I am a lawyer, but don't hold that against me. :-)

HL, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

We were wondering a few weeks ago if there was a Lawyer on here.....now we have one!  8)
I'm in Rock Hill, S.C. and I have been to Hampton.  smiley_thumbsup Working with the S.C. Forestry, I go to Walterboro sometimes and through all the small towns in between.

As a Lawyer, what field are you in? Criminal, Real-estate, etc. ?

Again...Welcome.

Stay close, I may need you 'ol buddy 'ol pal!  :D
Take Care,
David
P.S. If you'd like to come up for a day, I'd be more than happy to let you mill some logs with my Woodmizer. You will be able to appreciate the Hydraulics and the other goodies my LT40 has to offer to make your sawing sooooooo easy. I'll buy lunch at the BBQ joint!  digin_2 And have a gift basket from Woodmizer waiting on ya!  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hamptonlawyer.   :) 

It may come down as to whether you made a commitment to your friend or not.  Did he think that it was a commitment and what are his plans if you decide to go your own way? 

Personally, I do not like borrowing, lending, or partnerships.  All have the possibility of reducing the number of friends that you have, by at least one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 23, 2012, 08:44:41 PM

Personally, I do not like borrowing, lending, or partnerships.  All have the possibility of reducing the number of friends that you have, by at least one.

Can't ya see it now: POSTON & MAGIC MAN PORTABLE MILLING LLC.
Partners in milling to accamodate you building needs.
     Call BR-549   :D

BEST FRIENDS 'TIL THE LAST BOARD IS SAWED!   smiley_love

mikeb1079

poston if you join forces with magic he'd probably have to change his business to knothead sawmills.   :) :) :D :D
sorry man couldn't resist.   8)
homebuilt 16hp mill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mikeb1079 on July 23, 2012, 09:16:56 PM
poston if you join forces with magic he'd probably have to change his business to knothead sawmills.   :) :) :D :D
sorry man couldn't resist.   8)

smiley_clapping

mikeb1079

you sets em up i knock em down.   :) :)

ok back to the thread....hampton your thinking right.  don't get me wrong, you can cut an awful lot of lumber with a manual mill and turning logs ain't that bad.  and your right you can always upgrade down the road.....plus by then you'll really appreciate the hydraulics!   :)
homebuilt 16hp mill

paul case

I milled with an EZ boardwalk mdl 40 for 3½ years. Put a little over 500 hours on the  motor and for the most part it still looked and operated like a new one.
I am sure both mills are good but when comparing them look at this.....
Mp 32- 32'' max cut ( or max log diameter?) and standard 12' cut
EZ- 36'' max cut 42'' throat and standard 16' cut
Keep in mind that any mill can be added to with electric forward rev or up down.I think it would slow down the up/down on the boardwalk to go electric. The push through feed is real easy to do and don't require that much effort. I could and did serveral times cut more than 1000 bdft. in a day on the boardwalk mill with no help.
If you buy the boardwalk or the cook mill, get the log turner set up. they don't cost much and they are worth their weight in gold. Boardwalks work really good on logs too big to be turned with a cant hook.

I too don't like the Idea of partnering on a mill. My dad partnered with a guy on a lime spreader truck once. every time we needed to use it we had to fix it first. If you could do it with someone else, you can do it on your own just as well.

Good luck with your descision. Welcome to the forum. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Misfit

Quote from: Magicman on July 23, 2012, 08:44:41 PM
Well said; my sentiments exactly MM.

Welcome to the forum hamptonlawyer. This is a great place to learn from a great group of people.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

xulgiy

I had a budget of 5K and looked all over the board.  I spoke to Ed at EZ and was sold from the get go.  I now own a JR and just love the way it runs.  it is built rugged and simple.

medic

First, welcome to the Forum.  I can't help you much on those specific mills but I will add something on the manual versus hydraulic thing.  My first mill was an all manual mill that I ran for about 5 years.  Like you, I had very little exposure to sawmills prior to purchasing my mill.  Using an all manual mill I learned an awfully lot about log handling and learning to 'listen' to what my mill was trying to tell me that I either wouldn't have learned as quickly or at all using a mill with more hydraulics.  Sometimes the answer to a problem is not throw more hydraulic fluid through the lines.  Starting with an all manual mill helped me become a better Sawyer.  My $0.02.
Like several other folks have mentioned, I've shared equipment with someone else and it always caused a problem at one point or the other.  I'd rather have a piece of equipment that's not quite as nice that's available when I need it over a really nice piece of equipment that's not available when I need it. 
Good luck on your search
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

trapper

Could you buy the ez and have your friend add hydraulics in exchange for you sawing a set amount of lumber for him?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hamptonlawyer

@ Poston  I primarily handle real estate and transactional work.  Some litigation.  I know several people with the Forestry Commission, including Pete Stuckey, Terrell Smith, and Dale Mayson, who I beleive is now retired, is a cousing of mine.  Two Commission members are my clients.

I certainly understand the drawbacks of jointly owned property, and have some experience with this as well.  I saw the two of us headed in somewhat different directions last year when we were talking about a mill together, and that is partly why it kind of died on the vine.  We have not talked about the mill in a year, so not sure if my friend is even still interested.  He owns a small pallet company and I approached him with the idea of the mill initially.  I think he just saw it as a way to expand his business and possibly save on raw materials.   The attraction to me was having someone with ready sheds to house it and the ability to do the modifications/upgrades if needed as well as the reduction in cost. When he wanted to go with all of the upgrades and the cost went up, that's when I backed away.

I could always add the hydraulics later, but don't think i need them (but surely will want them when it's hot or I have a big log).  I see the hydraulic loader and clamp as the most useful.  Not worried as much about turning them.  Paul, I appreciate the comment about the log turner, as I wondered whether it would be worth it to buy it from EZ or Cooks or whether I should try to rig up something on my own. The neighbor with the Cooks has an overhead electric winch with a strap that he has rigged to turn his logs and I could probably rig something similar.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice. 

paul case

Quote from: medic on July 24, 2012, 10:33:02 AM
Starting with an all manual mill helped me become a better Sawyer.  My $0.02.

scott

Well said.
The manual mill is a great place to start because it is less initial investment.
The turner that ez boardwalk offers is a hand crank winch. I always loaded mine with a loader or forklift but turning a 30'' log, especially off of a 16'' flat spot or over a knot is not so easily done. The little winch set up makes it much easier. Didn't cost much either.
A shed for a mill can be acomplished real easily, especially if you have some logs you dont ,mind using for framing lumber. Anything from a carport on casters to a chicken house, pole barn, or even a steel framed hoop building works. Some of the guys who saw a lot like magic and chuck dont have a sawshed( i dont think).
I would say that if you have a friend in the pallet business I would say you are set up.I would bet he would buy your lower quality cants or boards.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

PineNut

I have a MP32 and it has done very well for me. I only cut lumber for myself so I did not worry much about hydraulics, money being the big issue. I load with a tractor and FEL. Small logs I turn manually. The larger ones, I put a hook and chain around the log and turn it with the FEL. Not fast but it gets the job done without strain on the back. My MP32 came with a winch for turning the logs but on the larger ones, it need some extra help.  If I were in the market for a mill now, I would consider the MP32

hamptonlawyer

Thanks for the info, Pinenut.  I like the MP-32 and my neighbor's Cook's mill also, but I can't get over the difference in price for the Boardwalk with its added capacity v. the Cook's.  I also like the fact that Cook's is closer to me as far as dealer service, but from what I have heard most of the Boardwalk parts can be replaced with parts from the local hardware or parts store.  Decisions, Decisions  :)

customsawyer

First let me welcome you to the forum. Second I wouldn't stress over it to much as they are both good mills. It is mostly trying to figure out which one is going to fit into your operation. Good luck.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

I like my Cook MP32. I've had it 10 years and all I have replaced are roller guides and belts. and bands ;D. I've added a lot of labor saving devices on it to save my energy. You're welcome to see it if you want to to come to Durham.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Handy Andy

I also have the MP 32, bought it used, and it is a manual feed, but has electric up and down.  Would not mind having a mill with a bigger log size, have quite a job trimming them down with a chain saw, but the Cooks mill is very tough, well designed.  Most logs are less than 32", but it's just that once in a while log that is very good, and you just have to cut it.  Cut some hedge beams for a friend last winter, had to readjust the mill to handle the stuff.  Some was dry in the middle of the log. Have to slow down the cut to handle that stuff.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!