iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The floathouse is finished

Started by JVK, July 22, 2012, 02:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JVK

Steve and Elizabeths cabin is finally done. Other than the plywood and pressure treated float beams, I cut every board with the 13 hp manual bandmill. A lot of you had a major part in how well this project turned out. I learned how to make usable lumber, saw it flat, smooth and fast. It's waterfront type jobs like this that let me pay cash for a new LT50.

The float size is 36' x 48'. Concrete floats and 6 x 8 beams bolted together make up the base. The cabin is 20' x 35' with a 10' x 20' mud room in the back. The wrap around porch is the best thing going for this part of the world. Hope you enjoy the pics.

js2743

thecfarm

Me too!! I forgot where you live and why the houses on floats.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

westyswoods

Wow, how neat is this. Not to sound stupid, but I will. Is this transportable or going to be permanently tethered.

Very nice
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yes, I certainly did enjoy those pictures and the innovations are amazing.   Sometimes I think that you guys in the NW have all of the fun.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimGA

WOW !!  Amazing.      Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

fishpharmer

The place looks great, thank you for the pictures.  I know people make ferrocement boats, normally I don't think of concrete and floats in the same sentence.  Could you share some details about how concrete floats are made?  Thank you.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

florida

Is the little shed for the lawn mower?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is really incredible in my eyes. Very NICE work.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

two tired

when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

AdamT

Absolutely incredible! Great job. I love the green tin roof!
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Chuck White

Beautiful job and location.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Real nice workmanship.

Appears the permits went through to be able to finish the project.

The makeup of the 'foundation' would be very interesting to hear about. i.e. the concrete floats. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JVK

Thanks for all the nice comments.
These fishing cabins started out 40 years ago as simple shacks to hang out at with freinds on weekends in the summer. They are scattered around Barkley Sound in all the nooks and crannies of the area. This new cabin is a replacement of an old rotted out one. They are becoming an attractive lifesyle choice for some folks now and the race is on to see who has the best one.

Concrete floats come in any size, shape and style. The blocks I used were originally from a marina on the East coast of Van Island. A few years ago a bad storm wiped out the place and these floats washed up on a bird sanctuary. One of my customers who donated money to the clean up, stipulated that I get first dibs on the blocks. Of course I said yes and thousands of dollars in freight later they made it to my place. My wife said you've got to be kidding me! What are you going to do with all that junk?

These blocks are made with styrofoam with 1" to 2" wire mesh reinforced concrete around the foam. The concrete gives it weight and stability while the foam provides the floatation. Chases are cast with 1" pvc 4" from the top of each block - four per block to receive the long 3/4" bolts to bolt wood beams to the sides.

redbeard

Your craftsmanship really shows  Great job JVK
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Delawhere Jack

Nice work. And you've made me feel better about my 13HP bandmill...no more complaining ;D

Nomad

That is truly impressive.  Thanks for showing it!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ron Scott

Great! That should be a really fun place.
~Ron

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

JVK, thanks for the info on concrete floats (I learned something new today).  Keep up the good work! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

rmack

that's truly a beautiful looking project.  :)

I can't help but wonder about the septic and electrical systems though.

septic tank and generator in that little shed?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!