iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Age when you bought your mill

Started by thecfarm, July 21, 2012, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

How old was you when you brought your first mill?
I think I was about 42. I waited many years for that toy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jackpine

AdamT

26. I "just had to have one".

Almost a year after I picked it up in Indy I went back for a seminar. I didn't have to tell the girl at the entrance my name at check in. She said "You must be Adam". And I said "yes, how did you know?". She said "all of our customers are much older. I just remember you".

Sorry guys...! I'll be older one day too!!
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

I was 59 when I bought my sawmill, and today at 69 I still need adult supervision.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I will need it until the day I die.  ;D One of my friends come over and don't we act out. It feels good to be about 14 again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Bought mine in 2008, I was 59.

If I could have swung it, I'd have had a mill back when I first retired from the Air Force!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

40 when I got mine.  Always wanted one since I was 15.  Used to see the adds in magazines.  Make your own lumber.  Finally broke down and bought one after hurricane Katrina.  Paid for it in 8 months with all of the downed trees. 

jrkimroxie

Bought mine 2 yrs ago at the ripe old age of 34. But most days I'd rather run my mill than ride 4-wheelers, so I think I'm an old geezer trapped in a young body. The last 2yrs I've acquired a mill, a saw shed, and a Massey Ferguson FEL, definately not a young mans toys.  smiley_old_guy
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

038magnum

52. I don't have mine yet but I talked to Marty at Pa Wood Mizer and he said it will be there Tuesday. I can't wait to see it and get trained on it. 8) 8) 8)

west penn

In 1984 I was 33

when we bought the first-- a lt30 no hydraulics. 42 when I bought the lt30hd.   I'll be 61 this year    Thank God for hydraulics!!

hackberry jake

I turned 25 on oct 24 and bought my mill on oct 29. I'm about to turn 27 now. I sawed a lot the first year, been kinda slow the second year, but one man can only use so much lumber. I need to start gearing up to build a house... Flooring, cabinets, trim, framing... Oh boy
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tyb525

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 22, 2012, 12:14:45 AM
I turned 25 on oct 24 and bought my mill on oct 29. I'm about to turn 27 now. I sawed a lot the first year, been kinda slow the second year, but one man can only use so much lumber. I need to start gearing up to build a house... Flooring, cabinets, trim, framing... Oh boy

I hear ya there, first year or two you're sawin' everything in sight! But if you don't sell a lot of it, it piles up real quick! Dealing with all the piles of lumber made me slow down a lot.

"I have to have a use for all this lumber I'm sawing???" ;D :o
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Cedarman

29 years ago at age 35  LT 30 no bells, whistles or hydraulics. That's cause they didn't have 'em then.
Hackberry, we got the same birthday.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sigidi

Almost 10 years ago at 27 - been swinging my lucas for nearly a decade 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

mayor

00 Frick at 46 years old.  I helped on a Frick when I was young, offbearing and stacking and cleaning.
Then at around 28, my uncle bought a Woodmizer LT 40.......sawed with that mill quite a bit.  He sold the mill and the fellow at the farm I helped take care of bought a Norwood band mill....we put it all together and set it up and I was really impressed with the mill.......we still use it today but I wanted too get back too the old circle mills so I bought the 00 Frick and we're in the middle of restoring it and setting it up now!  I'll be 49 next month so hopefully I'll be making the sawdust fly before I'm 50!

bandmiller2

First circular mill in my early 30"s made everything except three headblocks and the saw itself.Machined the arbor from a large industrial blower shaft,cast collars were fire door closing weights,setworks ratchet came from a ground drive manure spreader.DanG thing worked fine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wwsjr

LT40 Manual at 57, LT40Hyd at 59, LT40 Super at 61. Hydraulics have helped as I get older.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Riggs

bought mine less than a year ago, just before I turned 38.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

petefrom bearswamp

Bought my first, an LT15 in 2000 at age 62 and returned it after 2 weeks and wrestling with a 26"x10" Beech log which I couldn't tun by hand after squaring.
Then bought the mill that Chuck white now has.
in 2008 bought my retirement toy a super Hydraulic LT40 diesel loaded with all options.
Was going to hang it up in the fall when I turn 75 but have decided to keep on sawin' a while longer.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Norm

I'd been wanting one since the late 80's, finally bought it in 2001 at the ripe old age of 45.

NMFP

Bought a Homemade circular mill at 17 and sold it when I was 22.  Cut and resawed telephone poles for fencing companies.  Sawed on many different mills for about 10 years for other people and then bought a used 99 LT40SH at 27 and now just purchased an 01 Frick handset.  Will buy another LT40 or LT50 in a year or two to have another guy on the road for me.  He is currently 22. 

I have too much invested now so might as well keep going and spending money!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

VT-Woodchuck

LT15 at 64. I am now 67 and will use this mill a couple of more years. I will then decide whether to upgrade or get out of milling - I'm not betting on getting done!

OneWithWood

Same as WDH.  10 years ago at 48.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!