iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mountain Men

Started by bandmiller2, July 21, 2012, 09:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Did any of you see the last episode of Mt. Men he was running a circular mill with electric he generated from a mountain stream.It showed the water turbine and generator It might have powered a table saw if he was lucky.Those television people play it fast and loose with the truth.It takes one heavy duty setup and water turbine to run a circular mill on elect. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mooseherder

I think he had to cut a double whack of logs to fill an order he had.
I'll have to watch that episode again to see how many board feet they said.

clww

There is no power on his property, "Turtle Island".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

whiskers

looks like a power unit from here.

many irons in the fire.........

js2743

LOL yeah i noticed that, and they was acting like he powered it with what lil power he could make with his generator.  back there sets a power unit,  i guess they can sneak that over on some people. That whole show has been a joke by how all the ones on it have to do things. One episode showed him pulling a toyota pickup with horses and saying it weighed 5 tons.  :) :D  8)

ellmoe

Quote from: js2743 on July 22, 2012, 04:33:41 AM
One episode showed him pulling a toyota pickup with horses and saying it weighed 5 tons.  :) :D  8)

Unfortunately, it seems that the writers of all of those shows feei they must exaggerate, especially with numbers. Unless the 'gators in La. eat lead for dinner, it appears that they usually triple the weight of those caught!
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

bugdust

Those of use who live in the real world "see through a mirror clearly", but for those who wake up everyday to  the world of hussle and bussle are the ones who latch on to anything that stirs their interest, regardless if it's manufactored from men's minds or they simply don't have a clue. Those are the ones these types of series  target. Remember the tree stand? From the view it seemed to be 40' high, but his comment was, "needs to be a little higher." It's a hoot to watch though, like running off the "turkey poacher."
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

steamsawyer

I wonder what would happen if we hook the sawmill documentary guy up with Usatce Conway and his Turtle Island Preserve...  ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,57143.msg829577.html#msg829577

It could make a whole new series of highly educational BS... You know "colorful, interesting personalities" with everyday emergencies, deadlines, and calamities, to keep you on the edge of your seat.

It would be just like real life in the sawmill business. :D ::) 8)

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

logman

Turtle Island is about 25 miles from me.  He has 1000 acres and land around here goes for 10k an acre and up so I don't get the money problems.  Selling some acres is better than losing it all.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Buck

Same thoughts on the pair up SteamSawyer. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

JFarmer

I noticed the power unit in the background also while I was watching it. These tv producers are so full of BS!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

Nomad

I watched about 5 minutes of one show.  That was enough to convince me this is one more "reality show" I have no interest in 'cause there's nothing "real" about it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Cypressstump

Unfortunately, it seems that the writers of all of those shows feei they must exaggerate, especially with numbers. Unless the 'gators in La. eat lead for dinner, it appears that they usually triple the weight of those caught!
Mark[/quote]

Come on Mark,, You ain't never seen a 125lb cajun yank a "600lb" gator out of the water, into the boat by himself, almost effortlessly ? ? ?  ;) ;) ;)  They show it on the series, therefore it must be true eh?

A tiny bit of exaggeration sells well for them I guess.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

ellmoe

Quote from: Cypressstump on July 23, 2012, 11:23:15 AM
Mark

Come on Mark,, You ain't never seen a 125lb cajun yank a "600lb" gator out of the water, into the boat by himself, almost effortlessly ? ? ?  ;) ;) ;)  They show it on the series, therefore it must be true
[/quote]

I haven't seen that yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to call him "Sir"! ;)
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

MotorSeven

I think this one put me over the top. I tried to watch it...really, I wanted to like it. But all three of those so called Mountain men are buffoons. By the end of the show I was ranting and raving...like...well, like........a....buffoon. I have been kicking this around for some time, and I have decided to implement Plan: "NO MORE TV". That's right sports fans and fellow millers, when the log house is completed in a couple of months, there will be no cable, no satellite, and no antenna.....I am DONE!

Gimmie a Loooouie L'Amour book any day and I am a happy camper 8).....ok and maybe an internet connection
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

bandmiller2

Moto,how about "how its made" and three stooges reruns. Frank C.

bandmiller2

I had a little faith in the guy in northern Montana, Tom I think,until he's protecting himself from grizzleys with a single shot 410 shotgun,thats hardly enough gun for pheasants let alone big bears. Frank C.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I was always told that tv never lets the truth get in the way of a good story
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

hardtailjohn

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 26, 2012, 08:56:22 PM
I had a little faith in the guy in northern Montana, Tom I think,until he's protecting himself from grizzleys with a single shot 410 shotgun,thats hardly enough gun for pheasants let alone big bears. Frank C.

Yah, isn't that a piece of work? !t's sort of like him "chasing the wolves off his property". Sorry folks, that doesn't work either!
He's living in a log home (a VERY nice log home) a mile or so off the hiway, between Eureka and Libby (We haul logs through that hiway almost all the time), ON the power grid, and with a telephone, etc..... I hardly call that a "mountain man"!  There's LOTS of people out in this area that are roughing it alot more than that!! It's like them saying it's 100 miles to the nearest hospital or grocery store..... BS!!!! More like 30!!!
The sawmill episode had me laughing too.... what a crock!! 
ALL of those shows are total BS!!! How sad that our society has stooped to that!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!