iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 stroke chainsaws

Started by Randall, March 07, 2004, 03:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

I hear California is going to require 4 stroke chainsaws. Are these being made now?

kenskip1

Randall,
    Come on and share with us all the  documentation that tells us all about this.No way can that state pull this off. Whear did you hear or read this? Documentation is requested.
     I will agree that the 4 strokes are cleaner however this is pure speculation from some enviromentalist group.
    Then again California has some pretty liberal ideas.

Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Kevin

Maybe they're forcing people to buy Predator hotsaws.  :D

Mark M

Stihl already has 4 cycle weed eaters so I can imagine it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a chainsaw.

Rocky_J

There are some small hybrid 4 stroke motors coming to market from some of the big manufacturers for use on some OPE stuff like weedeaters or blowers. None have come out with anything for chainsaws, yet.

California does not have any power to 'require 4 stroke chainsaws'. What they do have is the ability to require extremely low and arbitrary emissions requirements for OPE engines. Since 2 stroke motors are naturally 'dirtier' than 4 strokes, manufacturers are exploring different options for attaining the asinine requirements of the California C.A.R.B. board. I've heard that by 2007 most of the current two cycle equipment will be illegal in California unless changes are made.

Randall

What I heard sounds like what Rocky J mentioned. By about 2007 you won't be able to buy new 2 stroke chainsaws in California. They might also make electric chainsaws with the small generator as a backpack. I didn't mean to upset anybody. Some guys were just talking about it at work. :-/

SasquatchMan

:D  Randall - don't worry about upsetting anybody.  People who can't see what's obviously coming... well, I guess they're the type to kill the messenger, hmm?

Honda has some mini-4 stroke motors that look intriguing... as soon as they make em work, EPA regs will completely turn the industry upside down.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

redpowerd

kevin, my thoughts exactly :D
if thats the case, imagunna heat with oil
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

slowzuki

I can't see how to lay a 4 stroke on it's side to notch and have it live a healthy life.  

A dry sump is expensive to provide and the pump will rob the engine of power.
Ken

oldsaw-addict

The 4 stroke engine is generally a single position type of engine, at least from what I have seen taking them apart. The way I see it putting one on its side and cutting those notches with it couldnt be good for it unless you had a motor with a multi angle pump, but I've never seen such a pump to date.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Frickman

The Stihl 4 stroke weed eater motor will run in all positions, including upside down. I ran one onetime, lots of power and runs real smooth. The dealer said you have to adjust the valves periodically. He also said that Stihl is trying to phase out alot of the 2 cycle motors to meet upcoming emission requirements.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Corley5

Snowmobile makers have started going with 4 stroke engines in some models and they're nice.  They're quiet, don't smoke, don't foul plugs etc.  Four stroke technology has come a long way and with the new rules and regs that are being adopted makers of outdoor equipment have no choice but to refine it even more.  I think it's fine.  I wouldn't buy one of the first 4 stroke chainsaws released but would after they've been out a while.  If Stihl has a weed whacker that's four stroke I can't imagine that a chainsaw is too far behind
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mark M

The Stihl weed eater uses mixed gas just like a 2 stroke so there isn't an issue with the oil sump.

oldsaw-addict

Doesnt the idea of using mix gas in a 4 stroke kind of defeat the purpose of the 4 stroke engine? or am I missing something here? I must be missing or overlooking something on the concept of the 4stroke trimmer and chainsaw Idea, otherwise I wouldnt be asking why it uses a 2 stroke mix fuel in it. Its time I looked at a diagram of the 4stroke trimmer engine to understand it better.

Ianab

Hi Oldsaw
  I think you are partly right, a 4 stroke burning pre-mix will probably not run as clean as a normal 4 stroke... But it should be able to run cleaner than a 2 stroke which will allways spit out a little bit of unburnt fuel / oil. And it should work in almost any position.
I guess it's gonna cost more of course  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
there are a few weedwackers around that are 4 stroke  and i thinK (hunter where are ya!!!) dolmar have or are working on a 4 stroke 50cc(?)  maybe the rotary(?) chainsaw motor will make a come back  there is a group in canada i think working on this .. the days of 20:1 are long gone with most saw being able to run on a good 50:1 or 100:1 the old smokey days are gone ,i think some lakes 2 stroke boat motors are baned already tho
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

SasquatchMan

A tiny Wankel engine would be cool.  Wonder what it would sound like?
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Tom

whir-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r   :D

Frickman

The Stihl 2 Cycle oil is actually 100:1 oil, but they recommend 50:1 to be on the safe side. The weed trimmer 4 Cycle engine can run in all positions because it does not have an oil reservoir. It draws fuel oil mix into the crankcase on the piston's upstroke and that oils the bottom end. When the piston moves down it forces the fuel oil mix out back into the carberateur.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
this is the motor i was thinking of .these guys made a chainsaw in 1998 but the video link dose not work  :'(

http://quasiturbine.promci.qc.ca/QTIndex.html

http://www.monito.com/wankel/chainsaw.html

catch ya's
JD

I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

oldsaw-addict

I seem to recall Sachs-Dolmar once made a chainsaw with a rotary engine in it, it was designated the KMS-4 model. 59cc and about the same HP as a 3120 or an 088.  I would like to have one but theyre so hard to come by. The wankel engine was utilized by the kms4 model and I think it was a fairly strange design to say the least. Lets suggest they build chainsaws with wankel engines again! they're more powerful, lighter, probably quieter, can be modified to rev to around 28K rpms, a friend in high school taught me this, the only downside is that they use more fuel at a higher rate of consumption. I'm not saying that I'm right about any of the points I listed above, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thank You Sponsors!