iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Permanently Plugged Increment Borer?

Started by RynSmith, July 20, 2012, 03:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RynSmith

Somehow, coring a very unassuming ~ 28" Doug-fir I've managed get a core "trapped" in my bit.  When I tried to remove it with the spoon, the spoon stopped ~ 3" from the bit end and wouldn't budge.  My usual remedies (pushing, pulling and finally attemptin to core another tree) all failed and now I'm at a loss...   >:(

Does anyone have any prior success and/or creative ideas as to removing a stuck core?  I'm not overly into pyromaniacal exploits but my coworker sure is - pour a bit of gas down to try to light it?  Bake it in the oven to try to crystallize the presumed sap that is causing the problem?  I'm open to any and all suggestions, thanks!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bogue Chitto

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bogue Chitto

Left Coast Chris

Soak in a solvent such as rubbing alcohol then find something to bunch it out from the end.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Should free some when it dried a little I suspect. The method of picking at it with the spoon as often times resulted in a broken spoon. ;)

Chainsaw file sounds like what I would try. Little squeeze of blue creeper would help and actually a good idea to clean it with, as I believe it's like gun oil in some ways.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shelbycharger400

put it in the oven at 200 deg,  that will dry it out and should pop out .  i wouldnt use any type of oil ect on it as that might swell it up .  chances are you cored through a knot and its wedged in their.

WDH

If none of these suggestions work, you could drill out the center of the core with a long drill bit.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mark Wentzell

RynSmith

For the record we went with a bake-n-welding rod combo.  It worked!   8)

Thanks for your ideas - I've never had one stuck this badly...

Ron Scott

~Ron

Clark

Well, the issue has been resolved but I'll give you my experience.  You know, for posterity and all that stuff!

Several times I have gotten the borer plugged bad.  You're lucky in the softwoods out there, easy to read rings, borers rarely get plugged, easy boring.  Come to the hardwoods and all that changes.  Reading yellow birch cores is more like guess a number, any number and go with it.  Rot seems to hide itself better in certain hardwood trees also but your borer will find it!  I'm rambling now...

Back on track my experience has been that using any sort of rod, dowel, etc to push the core back out is asking for disaster.  The tip of the borer is very delicate and will break very easily.  It doesn't take much to put a nice chip in it, trust me.  I've always put those plugged bores in an oven, maybe 200 degrees and let it set in there for several hours.  Try the spoon again and if it doesn't come out give it several more hours.  This has worked very well for me and while not fast it does preserve the integrity of your bit.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

Yes, they are expensive so treat them with care.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!