iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer LT-15

Started by Mike N, July 18, 2012, 08:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike N

I'm a newbie as of yesterday!

I own a Wood-Mizer LT-15.
My brother & I are currently sawing large Red Oak bolts harvested from the Paul Bunyan State Forest in northern Minnesota.  We have purchased 25 cords over the last 3 yrs.  We have 55 logs left to cut up by this fall.

The PTO clutch is slipping again on my LT-15 & I need to replace it, for the 2nd time.  I plan to buy a new clutch from Wood-Mizer ($ 190.00) & then try to rebuild my old one, has anyone tackled such a project?  My clutch is manually engaged not an electric clutch.  I would think that the clutch disk material can be replaced some how.

I have been in the Tool & Die business for the last 40 yrs. so I can make parts if needed.

Mike N.
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat
If it ain't broke take it apart & find out why!

Magicman

Good morning Mike N, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

b dukes

Welcome to the Forum!  I just purchased a LT15. I am still in the learning mode myself.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mike N. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

wdtik

Howdy and welcome, my lt15 doesn't have a clutch, just a idler
pully that tensions the drive belt.  Simple, reliable design IMO.
It's a new model, not sure on earlier models...

sparks

You need to periodicly verify the clutch adjustment. At least once a month. Once it starts to slip it does not take long to burn out the disc. Also make sure the bolt that holds the clutch on is torqued to 45 lbs. Do not let the crankshaft turn as you torque it.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Mike N

Quote from: sparks on July 18, 2012, 02:45:27 PM
You need to periodicly verify the clutch adjustment. At least once a month. Once it starts to slip it does not take long to burn out the disc. Also make sure the bolt that holds the clutch on is torqued to 45 lbs. Do not let the crankshaft turn as you torque it.
I have the newer style clutch, it has a spring loaded turnbuckle & there is no adjustment.  The arm has reached the bottom of its stroke, so I think the clutch disc is worn out.
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

Mike N

Quote from: b dukes on July 18, 2012, 10:11:29 AM
Welcome to the Forum!  I just purchased a LT15. I am still in the learning mode myself.
Have fun with it!  I love my LT-15 it is a 1997 Model & still works great!
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

grweldon

Welcome to the forum...

Can you determine the manufacturer of the clutch?  Most likely WM doesn't make their own clutches.  The manufacturer might have parts available and if they did, you can just replace the disk itself...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Mike N

Quote from: grweldon on July 19, 2012, 09:36:56 AM
Welcome to the forum...

Can you determine the manufacturer of the clutch?  Most likely WM doesn't make their own clutches.  The manufacturer might have parts available and if they did, you can just replace the disk itself...
I found the manufacture "Noram Clutch Co." I called & got a assembly drawing for the clutch & how it works.  Now I should be able to tear it apart & re-build it
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat

grweldon

Good Deal!  Keep us posted on how well this works.  I have been using the electric clutch sparingly on my TK because I see it as a possible failure point on the mill and I'm cheap!  I don't want to have to replace it any sooner than I have to!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!