iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skip, Semi-Skip vs. Full Comp?

Started by Mark M, March 07, 2004, 11:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Any guidelines or recommendations as to when you should use a skip or semi-skip chain instead of a full comp?

Thanks
Mark

Kevin

Usually on long bars in large wood.

oldsaw-addict

Generally I would use full skip on bars 28"+  although I dont know the industry standard for these types of chain I do know that they are easier on the saw because the full skip chain has fewer cutters on it requiring less Hp to pull it.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Frickman

I run full skip,3/8",square tooth chain on my saws, all 20". The Stihl full skip has the depth gauge moved out more to the side, producing a smoother cut. When you get it filed about halfway back you flat file the sides of the depth gauges along with the tops. Also, you switch over to a 5/32" round file. I've been running this chain since 1994 and haven't had a problem.

When I bought a new saw a year or so ago it came with a full complement chain. It cut well but not as smooth as a full skip. I have not found a difference in the speed of cutting between the two chains, only smoothness.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Captain

It is like Kevin said, big bars in big trees/logs.  Skip or Semi-skip is more often used on the longest bar recommendations for a particular saw.

I am of the o***ion that full comp cuts the fastest, and size my bars appropriately so I know my saw can handle all of the cutters engaged at once.

Captain

Duane_Moore

Mark, I think the full ship is good on big stuff. don't think the HP. of the saw has much to do with it. the Big trees need a skip to pull the chips out of the kerf.  take a 090G all the power ya want, and on full comp 7' trees it will plug the kerf , skip removes the chips for better cutting, so there fore I use skip on long bars and Big trees, run a 090G 52" bar skip 404 round chizel chain 063. seams to work good, small saws 36" and under, I use full comp.3/8 round chizel 050. round chizel will take more dirt then square and stay sharper longer. if you want to hot rod do the other stuff.  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Stan

Here's a link to the opinion of somebody who knows more about it than I do.

http://www.chainsawsforsawmills.com/sawchains.htm
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!