iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some pictures of the landing.

Started by DFabry10, July 19, 2012, 11:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFabry10

I thought I would share some pictures of the logs that were scaled this morning. Not the best pictures just took them with my phone before going to eat lunch, any questions or comments. Let me know what you think.

sawguy21

Thanks for sharing that, I miss the bush. That is an interesting load, long logs on the truck and shorts on the trailer. What will the wood be used forÉ
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DFabry10

Its all going to Wisconsin veneer and plywood inc. in Matoon.

kderby

Thanks for the pictures!  Is that red oak?

Kderby

WildDog

Nice pics, looks like you earn't a feed :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

DFabry,welcome to the forum. Nice pictures. Is that an old Franklin forwarder? Is that yours?

This is a thread you will enjoy.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
This will keep you busy for a few hours.   :D Post these pictures in there too and tell us what kind of wood and what it is going to be used for. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! :)
Nice pictures, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Autocar

Enjoyed your pictures and welcome to the forum.
Bill

trapper

Welcome. Good to see another WI member.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

treefarmer87

very nice logs, good looking treefarmer prehauler :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

DFabry10

Thanks for looking everybody. I just love being able to see  and read about what other people are doing in the woods, and what they think I have been doing this since i was about 13 with my dad. It feels good to search through posts and read about break downs, after having to deal with them all week yourself. hopefully will get more pics up in the future just have to remember to take them when interesting things happen. ;)

Btw the skidder is my Dads its a pretty healthy yet C5, first machine I got to operate

this has been the last two weeks due to the 440 not having a good battery ??? but thats logging  ::)

pasbuild

I get my ply products for my cabinetry from Wisconsin veneer and plywood inc. I buy there overstock and 2nds on the cheap, excellent quality.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

gunman63

wouldnt it be cheaper  to buy new batterys than jumping it all the time?

Magicman

Looks muddy. 

Thanks for sharing some pictures of your world, DFabry10, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ken

Nice sticks.  Sure wish I had some hardwood like that but then again we do not have a viable, local market for high quality hardwood anymore.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Same problem up here, a lot of big clear hardwood goes to the pallet mill because markets are very limited. Our wood markets suck, we have 1 Potlatch stud mill, a few small pine log mills (1 of which just dropped their delivered price to $140/MBF on Red pine logs in light of our big windstorm, cutthroat thieves) 5 paper mills spread around the state, and 2 OSB plants after Ainsworth shuttered 3 osb mills. Welcome DFabry, you guys have a nice looking operation there and nice looking wood.
Too many irons in the fire

tyb525

Quote from: gunman63 on July 22, 2012, 08:38:37 AM

Have you priced batteries lately? :o
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

lumberjack48

Up here in the 0 to -40 i found the big Sears Die Hard to be the best.

Nice hardwood, i loved cutting saw bolt timber, specially Big Basswood, it made my day.

barbender i don't know how anybody can keep logging on less their wife has a good job to pay the bills.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

You have to go work for one of the big outfits that can still sell their wood. It would be tough to make it with a chainsaw and cable skidder right now unless you had other things you could do in the slow times.
Too many irons in the fire

Jamie_C

Quote from: tyb525 on July 22, 2012, 04:31:57 PM
Quote from: gunman63 on July 22, 2012, 08:38:37 AM

Have you priced batteries lately? :o

Have you priced the hourly rate for 2 parked machines not generating revenue lately ??? Thats a minimum of $100/hr sitting there

gunman63

thats my thinking,  then if u kill it back in the woods and have to stop the other  machine to come  jump u, or if your on a hill  and it dies, i dont trust  brakes to much, and not to mention the extra wear and tear on the starting and generator system. yes batterys cost but are cheap compared to what it costs u in the long run.

lumberjack48

The thing is you only need one battery , around here you can pickup a used one for $30.
If i couldn't get one right away i took the battery out of my pickup every morning. Running a power shift with out a battery is no problem. Running a C5D stick shift you have to be on the ball to keep from killing the motor.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

DFabry10

Well we did finally get a good battery in it. and with just me and my dad working with machines that are paid for its not as bad to have them idle, although it gets me *pithed that were wasting time, especially this time of year where it just gets hotter as the day goes by. It just seems to me that batteries are a recurring problem for us be it in the semi, the skidders the processor, even pick up truck. Is it that way for anyone else? I don't think there have been good batteries in everything, all at the same time, ever. It just seems that as soon as we buy new batteries for one thing, one of the other machines' batteries start to fail. Plus if I say lets get some new batteries, the old man says something about how expensive they are or why don't you go buy them, so i deal with it. I'm paid by the hour now not the cord so I cant complain about sitting around jumping machines all the time.

BTW the pickup truck batteries have been very much a poor mans battery booster for us as well over the years, it just sucks carrying them through the woods to the machine.

gunman; For us it would mean I have to go get the other machine and bring it to the other one since were only using one at a time, and the tree farmer has no brakes... other than the blade so yes it is a bad situation but I'm quite used to it.

Ken

I also had to spend many years listening to the "old man's" theory on how to get things done on the cheap.   Many older contractors are used to "dealing with it" and do not see the benefits of making things more efficient.   It took many years but Dad has been working much harder at keeping things maintained thereby allowing increased working hours availability.  Well worth the cost of keeping a working battery in the machine.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!