iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unwanted sawmill visitors

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 19, 2012, 05:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

As most mills are outside, how do you guys deal with these unwanted visitors?

My mill has lots of these holes.
Several of these holes have guest living there.

Do you tape them all up?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bogue Chitto

Yes, I have them.  Keep a can of spray by the mill. 

weisyboy

have you tried using you mill once in a wile, ::)
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

kelLOGg

If I can't (or shouldn't) weld an opening shut I fill it with Great Stuff
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Woodey

I keep a couple of cans of wasp spray close to the mill.
I used a can last Saturday.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Jeff

Wasp spray.
About the time you fill a void with foam, that is when you will get the idea for the next and greatest mod you've ever thought of and have to find a way to dig it all out. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: weisyboy on July 19, 2012, 05:57:09 PM

Ok, wise guy, I use my mill almost 6 days a week...... ;D

That hole is in the bed extension and I get down that end of the mill when I change the blade. Which is often as well....

John_Haylow

Jim, the foam type wasp spray works well.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Chuck White

I use Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster penetrating oil sparingly around the mill.

I use it for both lubrication and pitch removal and if I see a bee of any kind enter a hole, some of this spray will either follow him in or meet him coming out.  ;D

Bees don't like petrolium products but, wasp spray gets immediate results.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

I've found the Ortho Home Defense that I use for the Asian beetles works well to keep the wasp pop'n down. Seems they are flying and landing on everything so must pick it up wherever it is sprayed and take themselves out. If I find a nest, a quick spray dose is effective.

Wasp spray works for me too.

The best is to not be surprised by them, and finding them by accident. Then they are fairly easy to get rid of, and easiest in the very early morning when they are less active.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

Some seasons of the year I will get a wren nest in the drive belt cover about 20 min ( ;D) after sawing.
Before I built my saw shed I covered it with a tarp and could always count on several nests in the spring.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

T Welsh

Jim, 2+2 carb cleaner or brake clean will knock them out of the air in one shot. Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Duct tape your openings.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Jim,electric supply houses have little chrome plated plugs with spring fingers to plug holes in elecrric boxes,chances are you can find some just right for your holes. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 19, 2012, 08:41:02 PM
Jim,electric supply houses have little chrome plated plugs with spring fingers to plug holes in elecrric boxes,chances are you can find some just right for your holes. Frank C.

I may have some of those on hand Frank, thanks for the tip...

Cypressstump

ACE hardware stores will have black plastic type hole-filler-up-plugs as like mentioned metal ones above.

Wasps will drop like rocks when you toss some water with blue dawn dishwashing detergeant onto them. Besides, the soap might wash some of that orange paint off........... ::)
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

AdamT

I had a mouse in mine once. I'd say he traveled with me to that job. I don't think he made it home with me though. Theres no telling what he could have chewed up in there!

Never seen any bees, but I think since I'm mostly portable, they leave nest while I'm en route to next job. I dont know though. I wash my mill after almost every job. Not sure if that helps keep pests away, but I'm sure water enters those holes and keeps them from wanting to start a nest! Maybe...
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on July 19, 2012, 06:27:49 PM

Ok, wise guy, I use my mill almost 6 days a week...... ;D
:) :) :) :) :)
welcome back again weisy
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

Wasps will drop like rocks when you toss some water with blue dawn dishwashing detergeant onto them.

This is true.  However, they take a long time to die.  And they can still crawl, climb, and STING!!!  (Go ahead.  Ask me how I figured that out. ::))
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ironwood

Also, try black plastic plugs from the auto parts store, generally not as big as the electric box ones, but seal well. They are for undercoating I think.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

captain_crunch

Starting fluid kills em graveyard dead ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Migal

Quote from: nomad on July 20, 2012, 06:02:28 PM
Wasps will drop like rocks when you toss some water with blue dawn dishwashing detergeant onto them.

This is true.  However, they take a long time to die.  And they can still crawl, climb, and STING!!!  (Go ahead.  Ask me how I figured that out. ::))
Quote from: captain_crunch on July 21, 2012, 12:56:00 AM
Starting fluid kills em graveyard dead ::)

Hmm  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

tyb525

Brake cleaner, starting fluid are light years better than spray wasp killer. Plus most of them shoot MUCH father with a wider spray, making it easier to hit the flying ones. And they leave no residue, it evaporates in seconds most times.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

petefrom bearswamp

My mill shed has several nests in the eaves every year.
I find wasp spray to be very effective and use  duct tape on the holes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

steve phillips

if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Thank You Sponsors!