iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The best way to saw this?

Started by shelbycharger400, July 18, 2012, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

Ok to start it off, this is boxelder, and i know their was a lot of red in the lower trunk that is gone now and is the tree i made my table from (some of the slabs and table are in my gallery),  anyway its just under 4 ft, and its 18 in on the big end, and about 15 on the other for both ends.

This piece here is one of the branches that came off the main stem,    the main stem was just like this at 28 in dia at the base, and i had riped it in half with a chain saw and had it milled plain sawn.  He cleaned up along where i had cut it , and i recieved  7 or 8 pieces at 3 in thick back. If i knew he had a mill that could handle up to 5 or 6 ft dia i wouldnt have cut it in half. Lots of cracking and a little warpage happened .

Ok so now On my mill, it can cut a slab 11 1/2 in thick, the Y in this case is more so a straight trunk with a heavy branch.  with the saw bar all the way up, the chain to the bunks are about 32 inches.    This  log is 35 inches  across the ends of the y       

My 1st thought was to chain saw the branch off the main stem,  then rip them both down the center, rotate them 90 deg and saw up into 2 to 3 in thick boards.

number 2 is i could just throw it in, deep cut it a few times, throw the chunks off then have a few boards out of the upper branch but have diagonal grain pattern.

Im lookin for some direction to get the best lumber out of it.

sigidi

My vote would be to lie it down 90 deg to the way the pic is, then take slabs out of it with my slabber
Always willing to help - Allan

Bogue Chitto

If you have a band mill, cut it as it sits in the picture.  Start at the top and work down if it will fit. Good luck, that might make some nice lumber.

redbeard

If slabbing it wide cant be done level the center of crotch to center of trunk end and slice it down at chosen thickness, just thinking
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

terrifictimbersllc

For crotch figure, saw Y-shaped boards. If it is too wide cut down the arms to your cutting width. You don't need the arms of the Y in the boards, just the heart of it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

shelbycharger400

I forgot to mention, it is a chain bar mill,  i can saw basically over square.   i can cut up to 28 in dia wide, but the mill can go up to 32 in high ,  but really have clearance for another 11 1/2 in.  for passing through

Hmm..  smiley_headscratch   Id like to make them sellable but they are practice pieces after all too 

timbersllc
you thinking like so ?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCR_lwQvsjk

shelbycharger400

in a Couple days i will dig the big  one out
I had a smaller one around and did it up it was 20 inches the big end (was at 6 ft, this was the 2nd branch fork set, or opposite side of the big one).  i did this one wrong that is :(  i poked the center with a wire rod, and went in a ways,  i used a chain saw and split it down the center cause i thought it was rotten all the way through,  just had a pocket. basically wasted 2 inches of the center from the crooked cut with a chain saw.   I did a few slices on backside, then flipped it over, and cleaned it up and made a few slices.   did the other one same, during so, i didnt cut enough off the backside, and i only had it pinched in the clamps, not the tooth dogs in the cant, and it pulled and warped half way through, it bound up like u have no idea. i backed it out,  came back through the opposide side, top piece is no longer 1 in thick, i will be lucky if it planes out to 3/4  :'( the 2 ft long piece at 5 inches thick warped  about a 1/4 inch . .  i ran the mill back and forth and cleaned up the bottom piece best i could.  Its at 4 inches now and i said noughs nough.  Here is a nice one at 3 1/2 thick

lesson learned,  thou im irritated at myself for the clamping  and other things.  ::)
the reds and oranges were only within 3 to 4 inches of the center. the next one...the arms on the bigger log are getting cut off!

Thank You Sponsors!