iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 290

Started by woodtick#2, July 18, 2012, 04:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtick#2

I have a friend who has a stihl 290.  It starts and runs but when it gets warm and you shut it off it will not start again.  He brought it to the local saw shop and they told him it was blown up.  It still has good compression so he asked me to put up a post maybe someone knows something about it.
-Nathan

T Welsh

woodtick#2, It starts and runs, but when turned off it does not start? And he took it to a saw shop and they said it was blown up!! You got me raising my eyebrows. You need to find a friend that knows a little about 2 strokes and have him test it out. Sounds like a fuel issue to me. But when trouble shooting a engine that runs and then does not, You have to start eliminating causes!!!! You are going to have to give more info for us to help you. My call with little info is a cracked hose or clogged vent and may need a rebuild kit for carb. But before you do anything pull the spark plug and look into the cylinder and look for scored walls. This may be why the saw shop said it was blown up.Look for scoring towards the exhuast side of the jug, this is where it would be! Good Luck and keep us posted. Tim

woodtick#2

-Nathan

Migal

:D blowed up is a funny word for two strokes scoring on cylinder walls are not sweet but roundness of cylinder is more important if the saw has compression after hot its not blown up now there are crankcase seals that could be worn and a rebuild might be a option my bet is poor spark too rich of fuel mixture and flooding never use a choke if engine is warm carb air leaks can cause some poor hot starting also I would be leaning towards air leaks and carb if spark is blue.always use fresh gas too. just my opinion.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Clam77

Sounds alot like a coil going bad to me...   :-\

When you say it gets warm.. does it still run even after it's warm, or does it shut itself down once it's warmed up??

How long until you can restart it again - cooled off to the touch or cold??
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

JohnG28

I had this problem on my 361 when it was newer. I made some carb adjustments, turned the H out some to richen it up at high load, this helped it run cooler. I also turned the L out some as well as I don't think it was getting enough fuel on restart. Runs great now, restarts when hot. If you're not using the choke on a warm start you might try there.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

This can be a typical problem if you shut the thing off hot .Some seem to like to flood for some reason .

Something as small as a 290/029 you can drop start holding the throttle open which will usually get them going .You can do it on the ground with a foot in the handle but it's awkward ,probabley safer though.

Actually it's about the only safe way to start a large saw say 100 cc with a 36" bar because you just can't safely drop start a saw that large .

Try giving the saw a little cool down time ,like 30 seconds prior to shut down and see if that helps on a restart .

Another thing blow all the sawdust out from around the fins etc .A build up of dust will cause all kinds of problems blocking the air flow which could cause the ignition modual to  fail until it cools down .

lumberjack48

My Husqvarna's did this to me, the only way they'd start when hot you had to set the throttle lock, 1, 2, maybe 3 pulls.

The first thing i would try is open the low jet about 1/4 turn, after doing this you might have to set the idle up.

Pull muffler off to check for scored piston.

When it don't start, pull spark plug to see if its dry or wet. If its dry open low jet, if its wet its flooding for some reason, this could a vent or carb problems.

It could be the spark plug, i've had saws act up like this, put a new plug, no more problems.

When hot it should start with about a 10 to 12" pull of the rope, this is what i liked about Stihl.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!