iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camp stove

Started by Jeff, July 18, 2012, 01:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WildDog

Great idea, I could see one stashed in my canoe for camping trips :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

sprucebunny

That's pretty cool but the only thing I have that uses a USB charger is an e-cigarette.... is there an adapter for my (old) cell phone or do I need to buy a fancy phone ??? Makes me wonder what people in Africa are charging ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

reride82

So, just supersize it, bolt it to the side of an OWB and power your off grid house? I wonder what tech they use to convert the heat energy to electric energy?
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Norm

Did they give pricing on the larger one?

Jeff

I didn't see any pricing on that one.

nas

Quote from: Norm on July 19, 2012, 09:32:49 AM
Did they give pricing on the larger one?

Looked at the FAQ's and they say they are not currently selling it but concentrating on bringing it to 3rd world countries.
  Looks like a pretty cool thing for an avid outdoor person or anyone who works outdoors.  I might have to try one.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

MHineman

That looks great.  I'd love to have one of those.  That looks a lot easier and more fun to use than the old coleman stoves.

Since it only uses wood for fuel, it seems you could take on an airplane.  A few years ago we flew out west and took our NEW backpack stove with us.  It wasn't a problem going since it had never been fueled up, but they wouldn't let us bring it back on the plane since it had fuel residue in it.

I think my wife violated USPS restrictions and mailed it back instead.

After that when we wanted to travel by air and camp, we made disposable stoves out of pop cans.  Your cut the can before going or make it when you get there, and add denatured alcohol.  You don't need much fuel and give it away to other campers when you are ready to leave or add it to the campfire.

If I remember right, you only need 2 pop cans, a coat hanger for wire to support the pan.  It's easier to make with pliers, tin snips, and a nail, but can be done with only a swiss army knife.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

shelbycharger400

i wonder if they will apply the technology to standard house woodstoves.
I wouldnt mind producing power to run the fan or such in the winter time on my woodstove

Im currious how much product testing they have done with it, as it has a microprocessor in it... at some point is a possible failure due to heat and water if not properly sealed.

sterno, or a standard campfire works for me. I have done fires in popcans, and old metal coffee cans as well.

mad murdock

Pretty amazing the things people think up these days!  What a great addition for the emergency kit or food storage accessory. Thanks Jeff for posting.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bill

One of my neighbors just showed me one. They do alot of camping/canoeing and such besides volunteer work in third world countries so they were attracted to it.

Its cool . Since all you need is kindling its safe to travel and the usb port handles their " newer " cell phone. I think they're fixing to get or rig a AA battery charger to take the usb cable .

The technology has to do with a thick copper rod in the " firebox " . It generates/releases  electrons which then become the electricity . There was a name for it - something like Peltier ( thermoelectric ) Effect  - I believe .

black spruce

Wow,

Brilliant mix of technology and largely available energy....

When you think about this will contribute to reduce health issue, reduce co2 emission, protect the forest( using less wood that'd std) and could change life of billions people.....

I tough the iPad was a neat product... 8)

With like that and stuff like nano technology using wood fiber, cross laminated timber that is as strong as steel and allow to built commercial building of 6-10 story...who said lumber was a commodity.....

Jasperfield

A friend of mine showed me his Biolite stove this past weekend. The heat output is substantial and the design of the stove, even without the fan, causes the fire to burn as a vortex.

It's pretty impressive once you get beyond all the enviro/green propaganda that surrounds the product.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

justallan1

Very neat idea for emergency purposes. Stash it in the rig and don't mess with until you need it, after trying it out of coarse.
Allan

Randy88

Curious how those in third world countries can afford one, if they can't afford a conventional wood burning stove with a chimney pipe venting outside, let alone what they'd be charging in the first place, but for the outdoors person they'd be great.   

We've come a long ways since the days when great grandma set one end of a wood fence post on a chair as the post stuck out of the old cook stove so she could cook without having to cut up the post first, and just moved the chair closer to the stove as the post burned down.

red

they maybe charging lanterns 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Dan_Shade

does anyone have one of these?  how do they like them?

I'm thinking about buying one as a gift, and don't want to give them a sales pitch :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

BradMarks

Thinking that it is way expensive - but hey, it'll recharge your phone!  Look up Aprovecho Wood Stoves (StoveTec) in Cottage Grove, Oregon for a stove that is actually being used in 3rd World countries, er, developing countries.

Longshot1911

The wife and I have one we used two weeks ago while camping.  What you must understand about these units is that charging accessories is just a side benifit.  The stove has an internal battery, and a two speed fan.  The fan forces air into the combustion chamber.  The result is a very hot fire that can easily boil a liter of water in 4 min.  The camp stoves are now in stores (saw one in REI last Sat), and look to be as well made as the camp stove.  The whole product line is impressive.  We are Very satisfied!
10" Petrson WPF, clip on slabber, planer blade inbound!

Darrel

I have a friend on Utah that has one of these or at least something very much like it. He cooks and charges his phone at the same time. He takes it on rafting trips on the river. Says it works great.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!