iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using the I-phone at the sawmil

Started by Bibbyman, July 17, 2012, 08:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I've had an I-phone for a while. I really didn't know if I'd use it or if I could.  It's been frustrating at times. But I've become comfortable using it in a number of ways.  Even useful ways!

We have three customers that contact me by text messaging.   One is the buyer at one of our biggest accounts.   He'll text asking about the availability of some items he needs to finished out his order.  We'll work it out by text exchange. Works well because he also runs a machine at the mill and I'm often running the mill or loader and stopping to talk on the phone would interrupt our work. We'd have to shut down or leave the area.

I exchange text messages, often with pictures, with two customers that make primitive furniture. 

I can and have sent E-mail with pictures and sometimes short video clips to others to discuss a problem.

In a pause moment at the mill I can check on the weather, news and even the Forestry Forum.

When Mary is on her long haul run, we check in even so often by text.  She is likely to get an order while on the road (most customers call her directly), she can text me the order and I can shift gears.

Using the memo function, I have recorded filter numbers and such.   Also notes on when I've changed belts on the mill.

Just the other day I figured out another use.  I had finished sawing a custom order and was looking for a chunk of wood and a lumber crayon to record the count.  I thought, "Why am I doing this?", and got out my I-phone and made a memo.  I later copy / pasted it into a text message to Mary who made out the bill.

How do use your I-phone around the mill?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JustinW_NZ

Good topic, I have an andriod powered phone - and am looking for a good application to work out lumber rates, i.e input board size and length and it shows totals... open to sugguestions on this, want a metric system if possible.

Otherwise taking photos with a quality camera can be a very good thing in my view. - Can attach pictures of finished product to the bill for example...
And I also take notes on the phone like when i first go to start the mill on a new job take a note of the hours on the mill.
So if i forget to note how many hours onsite, at the end of the job at least you know the time the mill was operational.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

paul case

Mine isn't an I phone but I use it a lot at the mill. Mostly for the calculator, figuring up bills and of course most orders come right through my cell phone. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bibby, I'm glad the i-phone works for you and Mary.

I guess it's just a personal thing but I can't stand texting because it takes me so DanG long to do it.  :D
My fat fingers hit the wrong keys and I just get frustrated.
But in your market, I can see where texting is a BIG plus and I'm happy new technology has made your business better.
Tell Mary to please send me any extra pencils she no longer uses.  :)

Good Post!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

I probibly should figure out the picture thing before I get one of those rigs,jeeze I don't even have a cell phone. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 17, 2012, 09:31:52 PM
I probibly should figure out the picture thing before I get one of those rigs,jeeze I don't even have a cell phone. Frank C.

Frank, are you still using MORSE CODE, PIGEONS or SMOKE SIGNALS?  :D

Woodsrover

I have the cell phone that they used to show in commercials that you told you you needed a new cell phone.  That was about three generations of cell phones ago.  I've had the same cell phone account for 20 years.  It costs me $23 a month.  My cell phone is plugged into my charger and sitting in the cup holder of my truck.  I can't think of the last time I used it.  Maybe two months ago?

4speed

I also have an android phone and I use it 24/7 to run our bail bond business. I also check the Forestry Forum 478 times a day with it. When I purchase a mill, I will also use it to help in that business.

bugdust

I've recently found my phone can be used in a cool way. Not only can I take your call ... I can call you back. Now I ask you, ain't that cool? Seriously, that's all I can do. OK, maybe take a photo, but it's so far behind new technology it's not even close. It's a sad day when your 10 and 8 year old grandsons can do more with their IPODS than I can with a cell phone, camera, computer, GPS, videocam, calculator, etc.  say_what
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

rmack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 17, 2012, 09:19:32 PM
Bibby, I'm glad the i-phone works for you and Mary.

I guess it's just a personal thing but I can't stand texting because it takes me so DanG long to do it.  :D
But in your market, I can see where texting is a BIG plus and I'm happy new technology has made your business better.
Tell Mary to please send me any extra pencils she no longer uses.  :)

Good Post!

I got the samsung galaxy note android, comes with a large screen and a stylus pen. have to say I'm becoming somewhat dependent on it... it is so much more than just a phone.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html?type=find

problem is, I lost the stylus (pen) yesterday, $38.00 and 3 weeks delivery for a new one.

I guess it is too much trouble for the electronics shops that sell these phones to have a part that is integral to the functioning of the pda on hand.

all the same, I ordered a replacement part and have no intention of giving up the phone, would buy another one in a second.  8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

LeeB

I lost my phone last time I went to work. Talk about a panic to get it shut off before someone could run up a huge bill on it. Could have easily cost me thousands. Got lucky and no wayward use. It was an iphone and I replaced it with another. I didn't know how to use half the stuff on the old one and even less on the new one. The little young gal that sold me the new one really fussed at me for not using it to it's potential. All I really need is a phone that will work around the world, but you can't get that without all the other stuff.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

YellowHammer

I have an IPhone 4 and love it.  Last week I discovered that it has an incredible background noise canceling capability.  I was standing next to the Diesel on my mill, talking to my brother on the phone, and he asked why I was shouting.  I told him I was having to talk over the mill.  He said, what mill?  Turns out that he could hear me clearly and that the phone electronically cancelled the loud drone of the engine! Amazing device.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

clearcut

iPhones have the free Find My iPhone software that you should install and set up. It uses your iTunes / iCloud account to locate your phone should you lose it. It will also ring the phone even if it is set to silent. It can also remotely lock and wipe the phone if you think someone has found it. We store an amazing amount of personal information on these devices.

Android phones have similar software. Lookout (limited free - or premium) and Seekdroid (paid) among others offer similar functions.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

hackberry jake

90 percent of the time, my iPhone is the only Internet I have (forestry forum). I use the calculator as my setworks and the memo option as my notebook. The camera is what I have used to upload almost all my photos. It's pretty handy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bibbyman

I have the Samsung infuse 4g.  Mary has an Apple something or other. I think she likes my phone better but likes the Apple system better.
Sawing since '94

redbeard

I use android, 24/7 also, excellent tool to have for sawmill bus. Handyman calculater has everything you need for calculating logs and lumber. Its a free app. Having my computer in my vest pocket has paid for itself 10 times every month. Going to dump internet and home phone this fall and go strictly mobile phone. Save some $
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rmack on July 17, 2012, 10:56:40 PM

problem is, I lost the stylus (pen) yesterday, $38.00 and 3 weeks delivery for a new one.

That's funny.....I'm sitting here at 4:27 AM an a commercial just came on that offers 4, that's right 4 STYLUS PENS for 10 dollars. Works on all phones, fits in your pocket and is magnetic.

Their website is WWW.GETSUPERSTYLUS.COM. or call 1-800-436-9197.

thecfarm

My wife has a new tablet. She needed a stylus pen. She had some trouble with the tablet and they gave her one,$15 value,I think. Well she wanted another one and got on Amazon and bought 2 more for under $5 and shipping was free. She got a cover for it the same time too. Than the plug for the charger broke. They did not have one,5 on back order,but would of been $50. Amazon again and she got 3 complete chargers,car,house and an adapter for her laptop for $22 and free shipping again.But the phone company did credit her account $20 for the charger that broke. She speaks right up for a credit.
Piston I see that one says plus shipping and handling,could be $9.99 for that.    :o  Those look kinda big for a cell phone. Those are the size my wife uses for her tablet.
I just have a cheapie cell phone that we buy minutes for. I have it on me when I'm in the woods. Never know I may need it in an emergency. Does come in handy for her to call me,if she needs me. I'm kinda surprized I have not broke it yet in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

We had blackberry's for a long time but finally went to the Iphone 4S. One of the nicer features for me is the talk to text as I'm usually driving a piece of heavy machinery and I have fat thumbs. The mapping feature is nice to find someone's place to bale or do field work for. I have a navonics app for finding those secret fishing spots too.

Jim_Rogers

I've been wanting to upgrade my phone for a while.
My contract has been up for a while.
I've had it with my provider for at least 20 years.
I was thinking of going to another with a cheaper rate, to save money. But I'm not sure if the coverage is the same in my area.

What kind of rates are you guys paying. Round numbers per month? I'm paying $58 texting is extra. no insurance plan

Also, did you purchase the insurance plan with your phone? and if so what did that cost you? round numbers per year or whatever.

One guy told me at the diner the other day, he's on his third phone as he keeps breaking them, all paid by yearly insurance plan.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Riggs

Quote from: redbeard on July 18, 2012, 02:37:18 AM
I use android, 24/7 also, excellent tool to have for sawmill bus. Handyman calculater has everything you need for calculating logs and lumber. Its a free app. Having my computer in my vest pocket has paid for itself 10 times every month. Going to dump internet and home phone this fall and go strictly mobile phone. Save some $

+1 on the handyman calculator, I use more than I use the phone.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

tcsmpsi

I have a phone..I think the new one is a Relaim or something of that nature (a 'green' phone).  It was one of the 'free' options on my last new contract.  Looked like one I could use without too much trouble.  About the time I get used to using one (2 yrs), it is time to re-up and it's about ready for replacement.  I can even text on it!!    :D

I still have my first portable phone.  A Motorola California Phone.  With battery, it only weighs 7 lbs.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Stephen1

I use a Samsung galaxy, I take pics, txt, use the calculator, I use the an app called a Level, works great for setting a log up to cut with the chain saw mill, in fact I would say it is the best app. Iphone has it also..you never need another level.. 8)
I have an app also that you can bluetooth to a device for your vehicle that reads the codes. the device plugs into the plug for a code reader, this app gives RPM, speed, acceleration, and will tell you what the code is for trouble shooting.
I listen to music in my hotel room with a small set of speakers, no need to carry a laptop anymore.
But as Bibby says, a TXT is so much easier to deal with than my answering machine. The txt is always there for reference if someone has sent you information, and if you are working the txt will be there when you can get to it. In fact most people do not expect an immediate response.
Jim, My daughter was in the states for a year and had samsung, for 50$ a month, unlimited txt, long distance, in the usa, and data for email and such.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

redbeard

My desk top computer that I use to spend way to much time on is older and I have Verizon broadband to run it is $60 mo. Land line is just a waste of $30 a mo with all the sales and political calls. I can use android to run desktop computer and the new printer fax machines are smart phone compatble just plug them in and you can do everything you use too. So hopefully instead of $200 a mo. I can get total plan down to under $100. Iam not up on all the capabilities but I dont miss sitting in front of computer screen. I like sitting  in sawmill chair between logs and smelling sawdust and reading latest posts on forestry forum.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

clearcut

The S Pen stylus for the Galaxy Note is more complex than a simple capacitive stylus. It is pressure sensitive and has a shift key for more complex input, thus the higher price.

As to monthly costs, I use a pay as you go plan with T-Mobile for talk and text for about $0.16 per minute and $0.10 per text, minutes expire after 1 year. I can buy data at $2-3 per day. Since I don't use my cell for for many phone calls, and cell data only rarely, I average about $6-8 per month. WiFi is available in many of the places I go so I use that instead of cell data. I bought a $100 Android phone (LG Optimus T) so I did not bother with insurance.

I use the phone mostly to listen to audiobooks and podcasts and to check email via WiFi. I keep a To Do and shopping list on Notational Acceleration that automatically syncs with Simplenote on the web and clients on my desk top and iPad. I use the camera all of the time to take visual memos - hours signs for local businesses, prices and model numbers for items that I am researching, pictures of the kids whenever we visit in a busy place so I have a record of the clothing they are wearing in case we get separated. I also keep a game or two on there for the kids when they have to wait for me for an appointment.

schakey

Mac desktop at home,Ipad (wifi) in the motels and droid binoic on the road.Use droid for everything even making calls :D
1 smartphone 4 cells on verizon data plan $186 month.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

okmulch

I just used my iPhone today with CAT. I had a hydraulic line bust and the numbers were rubbed off. So I had the parts guy send me a pic of the line we thought was correct.
I have taken pics of parts before and emailed or texted them to the parts guy on the phone to make sure we get the right part.
I check the weather quite often and it is nice to get on the forum and waste some time while waiting on a semi.

I have had mine for about a year and it has saved me several trips home since i can google phone numbers and addresses and do not have to leave the fields.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

JFarmer

I have an android phone. I use it a lot for ordering parts and taking orders. I also text my tie buyer a lot. It saves a lot of time and leg running.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

sawmillhand

I LOVE MY I PHONE  I USE IT ALL THE TIME. I ALSO USE A APP ON IT CALLED INVOICE2GO  I SET UP ALL MY LUMBER PRICES,BLADES,AND ANYTHING ELSE I NEED. I USE IT ALOT TO EMAIL A ESTIMATE OR PRINT OUT RECIEPTS IT ALSO HELPS KEEP TRACK OF THINGS I BUY FOR THE MILL AND LETS ME KNOW WHERE I AM SPENDING THE MOST MOENY AT.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Chris Burchfield

I have wife's Motorola 3G as a handmedown.  My last one $34 from Wmart lost the flip screen.  I don't do text.  I email from the pc.  Or, I call the person point blank and get my business over with.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Migal

My brother and I Leveled the timbers to stack wood on with his  8) we were to lazy to walk 15 ft to where I keep mine lol
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Greg Brown

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 17, 2012, 09:19:32 PM

I can't even hardly use a keyboard, much less the keys on a phone. :D :D :D
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

rmack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 18, 2012, 04:29:32 AM
Quote from: rmack on July 17, 2012, 10:56:40 PM

That's funny.....I'm sitting here at 4:27 AM an a commercial just came on that offers 4, that's right 4 STYLUS PENS for 10 dollars. Works on all phones, fits in your pocket and is magnetic.

Their website is WWW.GETSUPERSTYLUS.COM. or call 1-800-436-9197.

I wish  :D

the pen on mine fits into a slot in the body, has to be the right one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076Z3E96/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_SC_3p_dp_1

also, double checked the invoice, $30.97 shipped to BC... guess my memory got a bit bent.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

den

I was surprised that Apple was # 9 out of 16 ( AT&T carrier )in the Consumer Reports August magazine.
#1 NTC One X
#2 Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
#3 Samsung Galaxy Note
AT&T carrier, scored the lowest in satisfaction.

Apple was
# 10 out of 11 with ( Verizon carrier )
#6 out of 6 with (Sprint carrier)
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

schakey

I really like Apple products and their service is great, still kicking myself
for getting a droid instead of Iphone :-\
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

terrifictimbersllc

i-phone to
-see what time it is
-call Wood-Mizer or Peterson
-call customer, talk to customers, add contacts, listen to radio on way home without interference noise from power lines or stepping on brakes
-map customer location, bathrooms & wi-fi (Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds), find out where I am, see if can stop by look at logs wherever
-weather forecast for wherever
-check or add an appointment
-wife can check where I am from home
-keep notes on hours, log scale, board volume (pencil is easier)
-look up log scale, log weight online
-answer business calls, email during the day
-take pictures, video
-calculator
-call 911 (haven't had to yet fortunately)
-get news alerts & heads up if country's melting down
-take credit cards if I want to (not yet)

I like my iphone

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 19, 2012, 01:45:14 PM

say_what     I was thinking about upgrading to an IPHONE.....need to rethink.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 19, 2012, 05:20:47 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 19, 2012, 01:45:14 PM

say_what     I was thinking about upgrading.

Thinking about upgrading what?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

NWP

I use my phone to take pictures of parts I need or the part numbers on filters so I don't have to write them down and I can pull up the pics at the parts store.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Bibbyman

I'd rather text than talk on the phone. Maybe because I can't hear so well. Also, I'm often sawing, running the loader, or driving.  I often can't hear or feel it rang.  I almost never call anyone because I feel I'll be intruding on them - just as I often feel intruded on when someone calls.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 19, 2012, 08:06:26 PM
I'd rather text than talk on the phone. Maybe because I can't hear so well. Also, I'm often sawing, running the loader, or driving.  I often can't hear or feel it rang.  I almost never call anyone because I feel I'll be intruding on them - just as I often feel intruded on when someone calls.

Good reply, Bib.  :)

okmulch

I used my flashlight app yesterday since my big flashlights batteries were dead, to look down into the belly of the loader to track hydraulic lines.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Sawen Preacher

I used my IPhone today to text the Customsawyer (Jake) while he was riding his Bike in the mountains to seek his wisdom  :P on Black Gum and Sweet Gum.  His advice "don't do it."
97' LT40HDD40 Wood-Mizer/ Lombardini
Cook's cat claw sharpener
Cook's dual tooth setter
743 Bobcat Loader w/ grapple
1979 Chevy Rollback 24' bed

I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.   -------Michael J. Fox

Norm

I have the mag-light app with a magnifier that's great for seeing part numbers and serial numbers.

Tom L

how do you guy's with the I phones back up your communications with your customers. is there a way to forward your emails and texts to a computer so you can save or print copies of your invoices, quotes ect.
how do you keep your info. so it is not lost.

I have a simple flip phone and it is ancient. I have always resisted the new technology because I feel it puts too much trust in one piece of equipment that can be crushed, lost or dunked in an instant.

everything I do involves a pen. paper and good old file cabinet. or a copy from my computer to a file.
I would worry too much about something that I do not have any control over.

rmack

Quote from: Tom L on July 20, 2012, 08:00:53 AM
how do you guy's with the I phones back up your communications with your customers. is there a way to forward your emails and texts to a computer so you can save or print copies of your invoices, quotes ect.

I have a simple flip phone and it is ancient. I have always resisted the new technology because I feel it puts too much trust in one piece of equipment that can be crushed, lost or dunked in an instant.

everything I do involves a pen. paper and good old file cabinet. or a copy from my computer to a file.
I would worry too much about something that I do not have any control over.

microsft has an option called 'skydrive' which is accessed through hotmail. it is basically cloud based storage. I would imagine apple has a similar offering.

You do business through hotmail, there is a record of communications there, you can print from it, share specific files with specific people online, or access it yourself like a photo album.

come to think of it, google probably has something similar too.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

OneWithWood

You can back up the i-Phone using i-Tunes on your main home computer through the sync option.  Great feature for keeping various calendars in sync.

I use a number of apps on my i-Phone throughout the day.
WoodID
Carpenters Level
Inclinometer
Chirp - a bird call app
Notes for all sorts of things
Calendar
Clock
Camera
Contact list for instant dialing of customers, vendors, etc.
GPS and Compass

The biggest problem I have is keeping sawdust out of the camera lense and other ports on the phone.  When operating machinery I cannot feel the vibration for an incoming call but the voicemail feature is excellent.  I very rarely text because the plan I have charges me extra for each incoming and outgoing text.  Also, I am either wearing gloves or have oil on my hands so I don't handle the phone a lot in the shop.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

terrifictimbersllc

emails will come to other computer(s) too.  on the iphone you can add to your calendar and contacts while talking to customer and these can be sync'd so they come to your other computers.  The sync server for the Apple which accomplished this, through last month, used to be Mobile Me.  Now it's i-Cloud (free) but which will only work with newer (Lion) and newest-to-be-hopefully-before-long "Mountain Lion" operating systems on Apple desktop and laptop computers.   I prefer paper and pencil  though while on the phone.  But I have to remember where those bits of paper are. Got them everywhere.  Maybe some day I"ll call all the numbers to find out who I forgot about.  ::)  If I take notes on the end of a log then saw it up or on a scrap board and throw it out, that's not too helpful either.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

clearcut

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on July 20, 2012, 01:19:10 PM
   I prefer paper and pencil  though while on the phone.  But I have to remember where those bits of paper are. Got them everywhere.

Take a photo of your notes, at least they will be in one place. If you use Evernote (app / website) to organize these, it will attempt to read your handwriting and make your handwritten notes searchable.

Stephen1

My email is Gmail. It is saved to the cloud, and show up on my computer and phone. I now star the messages that are important and that shows up in both places. These phones are more powerfull than what put the 1st man on the moon. There is so much that can be done with these phones it is  incredible.
I now use voice to TXT for txting and righting replies to emails.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bibbyman

Question,

I get along great with the spell checker / word suggester on this Samsung infuse 4g but I've inadvertently added a few non-words.  Now they pop up frequently.  Is there a way to remove these non-words?
Sawing since '94

rmack

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2012, 06:14:47 AM
Question,

I get along great with the spell checker / word suggester on this Samsung infuse 4g but I've inadvertently added a few non-words.  Now they pop up frequently.  Is there a way to remove these non-words?

every time I type 'woodmizer' into my phone, the autocomplete function suggests the word 'sodomize'.  :D

I have no idea how to change the computer's mind about that.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rmack on July 21, 2012, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2012, 06:14:47 AM
Question,

every time I type 'woodmizer' into my phone, the autocomplete function suggests the word 'sodomize'.  :D

I have no idea how to change the computer's mind about that.

You can't change your phone computers mind. Your IPHONE is set up to withdraw electrical impulses from your mind and compute to your screen the thoughts that are vividly imbedded in your brain cells. Therefore you will get words from time to time on your screen that you thought know one else knew but you.  :D :D :D

OneWithWood

Bibby,
Just keep using them and they will become words.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

Me and Mark Twain grew up not top far apart.
Sawing since '94

MHineman

I have an old flip phone too.  Since I work (like many of us) in areas with weak signals, I prefer my old phone.  I can take or make calls when almost all newer (less than 4 years old) phones can not.

The old phone is also more durable than other people's phones.  I even dropped it and drove over one.  It still powered up, but the screen was cracked so I couldn't see what I was doing. 

I have Verizon which is the only good option away from the larger cities and towns around here.

I don't care to text as I can get the business done quicker in a voice call. 

Verizon offers a product called Backup Assistant.  As long as you have an online account, Backup Assistant is free.  I have mine setup to backup my phone book once a day.  That product makes it simple to change phone when I need to.

When the phone gets some age on it and starts acting odd, I get a "new" one of the same model online for about $15 - $20 including shipping, charger, etc.  It takes about 15 minutes to switch over and would only take 3 minutes if I didn't have to read the instructions again each time.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

1woodguy

I use an ipad Bought a connector that you can put a chip that fits cameras in and I transfer stuff either from laptop to iPad or vise versa or leave info on chips for hard copy
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Leigh Family Farm

Smart phones can be great. I like the iPhone because of its capabilities to sync with my laptop (MacBook Pro) at home, my wife's iPad, and the internet (iCloud service). There are multitudes of applications that are perfect for businesses (eInvoicing, expense reports, hourly billings - thank lawyers for that, etc.) Also, one added feature of most new version smart phones: geotagging of pictures.

Geotagging attaches GPS coordinates to your pictures so that when you load them into your computer, a small map will tell you where the picture was taken. It works great for when you are driving by and you see a beautiful oak tree that was blown over and you have no idea where on BFE you are. Take a picture and the phone will do the rest.

My only recommendation would be to go with one operating system: Android or iOS. Mixing the two leads to problems.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

kilgrosh
Welcome to the forum, but I think you will find some slang abbreviations for certain things are outside the forum limits. We don't want you finding yourself out in the woodshed somwheres. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: clww on August 04, 2012, 07:30:34 PM
Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2012, 12:37:28 PM
Me and Mark Twain grew up not top far apart.
say_what

I always tell people I was born on the 4'th of July 1850 because I was born in a log house without electricity.  The doctor was brought in by farm wagon pulled by mules.

Although born in rural mid-Missouri, it was very much the old south.  Hannibal, Missouri, Mark Twain's home town, is not far away - in distance or culture.

I can read Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin books with no interpretation. Sounds right to me.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

Around here the Amish are kicking a$$ selling wood they have cut, they are doing something right and it's not with a smartphone.
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

Even the most primitive Amish around here have cell phones.  I've not seen them with iPhone.

The Mennonite dress the dress and have horse and buggies and ride bicycles a lot.  But their county story has products bar coded.  They have surveillance system an have wireless internet. I've not seen them with iPhones but I bet they have them somewhere.
Sawing since '94

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: beenthere on August 04, 2012, 09:43:16 PM
kilgrosh
Welcome to the forum, but I think you will find some slang abbreviations for certain things are outside the forum limits. We don't want you finding yourself out in the woodshed somwheres. ;)

BFE: Back Forty Elsewhere.  What did you think it meant?  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

drobertson

Well bibbyman, no I phone here in so. mo. but the old conventional flip comes in handy daily. I mean to tell you what did the old timers ever do?  calls, texts' pics, all without driving 20 miles just for the info! unbeatable and invalueable for customers with time constraints. and really its not that time consuming to text, phone calls can lead to time loss for sure, allot of folks like to chew the fat.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

A couple of days ago I used the camera to take a picture of the engine serial number on the Terex so I could order a solenoid.  I couldn't get to where I could read it.  I then used the phone again to email the numbers to my parts pal who identified and ordered the right part.

You don't have to have an I phone to make lumber.  It's just another tool.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!