iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using the I-phone at the sawmil

Started by Bibbyman, July 17, 2012, 08:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I've had an I-phone for a while. I really didn't know if I'd use it or if I could.  It's been frustrating at times. But I've become comfortable using it in a number of ways.  Even useful ways!

We have three customers that contact me by text messaging.   One is the buyer at one of our biggest accounts.   He'll text asking about the availability of some items he needs to finished out his order.  We'll work it out by text exchange. Works well because he also runs a machine at the mill and I'm often running the mill or loader and stopping to talk on the phone would interrupt our work. We'd have to shut down or leave the area.

I exchange text messages, often with pictures, with two customers that make primitive furniture. 

I can and have sent E-mail with pictures and sometimes short video clips to others to discuss a problem.

In a pause moment at the mill I can check on the weather, news and even the Forestry Forum.

When Mary is on her long haul run, we check in even so often by text.  She is likely to get an order while on the road (most customers call her directly), she can text me the order and I can shift gears.

Using the memo function, I have recorded filter numbers and such.   Also notes on when I've changed belts on the mill.

Just the other day I figured out another use.  I had finished sawing a custom order and was looking for a chunk of wood and a lumber crayon to record the count.  I thought, "Why am I doing this?", and got out my I-phone and made a memo.  I later copy / pasted it into a text message to Mary who made out the bill.

How do use your I-phone around the mill?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JustinW_NZ

Good topic, I have an andriod powered phone - and am looking for a good application to work out lumber rates, i.e input board size and length and it shows totals... open to sugguestions on this, want a metric system if possible.

Otherwise taking photos with a quality camera can be a very good thing in my view. - Can attach pictures of finished product to the bill for example...
And I also take notes on the phone like when i first go to start the mill on a new job take a note of the hours on the mill.
So if i forget to note how many hours onsite, at the end of the job at least you know the time the mill was operational.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

paul case

Mine isn't an I phone but I use it a lot at the mill. Mostly for the calculator, figuring up bills and of course most orders come right through my cell phone. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bibby, I'm glad the i-phone works for you and Mary.

I guess it's just a personal thing but I can't stand texting because it takes me so DanG long to do it.  :D
My fat fingers hit the wrong keys and I just get frustrated.
But in your market, I can see where texting is a BIG plus and I'm happy new technology has made your business better.
Tell Mary to please send me any extra pencils she no longer uses.  :)

Good Post!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

I probibly should figure out the picture thing before I get one of those rigs,jeeze I don't even have a cell phone. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 17, 2012, 09:31:52 PM
I probibly should figure out the picture thing before I get one of those rigs,jeeze I don't even have a cell phone. Frank C.

Frank, are you still using MORSE CODE, PIGEONS or SMOKE SIGNALS?  :D

Woodsrover

I have the cell phone that they used to show in commercials that you told you you needed a new cell phone.  That was about three generations of cell phones ago.  I've had the same cell phone account for 20 years.  It costs me $23 a month.  My cell phone is plugged into my charger and sitting in the cup holder of my truck.  I can't think of the last time I used it.  Maybe two months ago?

4speed

I also have an android phone and I use it 24/7 to run our bail bond business. I also check the Forestry Forum 478 times a day with it. When I purchase a mill, I will also use it to help in that business.

bugdust

I've recently found my phone can be used in a cool way. Not only can I take your call ... I can call you back. Now I ask you, ain't that cool? Seriously, that's all I can do. OK, maybe take a photo, but it's so far behind new technology it's not even close. It's a sad day when your 10 and 8 year old grandsons can do more with their IPODS than I can with a cell phone, camera, computer, GPS, videocam, calculator, etc.  say_what
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

rmack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 17, 2012, 09:19:32 PM
Bibby, I'm glad the i-phone works for you and Mary.

I guess it's just a personal thing but I can't stand texting because it takes me so DanG long to do it.  :D
My fat fingers hit the wrong keys and I just get frustrated.
But in your market, I can see where texting is a BIG plus and I'm happy new technology has made your business better.
Tell Mary to please send me any extra pencils she no longer uses.  :)

Good Post!

I got the samsung galaxy note android, comes with a large screen and a stylus pen. have to say I'm becoming somewhat dependent on it... it is so much more than just a phone.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html?type=find

problem is, I lost the stylus (pen) yesterday, $38.00 and 3 weeks delivery for a new one.

I guess it is too much trouble for the electronics shops that sell these phones to have a part that is integral to the functioning of the pda on hand.

all the same, I ordered a replacement part and have no intention of giving up the phone, would buy another one in a second.  8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

LeeB

I lost my phone last time I went to work. Talk about a panic to get it shut off before someone could run up a huge bill on it. Could have easily cost me thousands. Got lucky and no wayward use. It was an iphone and I replaced it with another. I didn't know how to use half the stuff on the old one and even less on the new one. The little young gal that sold me the new one really fussed at me for not using it to it's potential. All I really need is a phone that will work around the world, but you can't get that without all the other stuff.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

YellowHammer

I have an IPhone 4 and love it.  Last week I discovered that it has an incredible background noise canceling capability.  I was standing next to the Diesel on my mill, talking to my brother on the phone, and he asked why I was shouting.  I told him I was having to talk over the mill.  He said, what mill?  Turns out that he could hear me clearly and that the phone electronically cancelled the loud drone of the engine! Amazing device.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

clearcut

iPhones have the free Find My iPhone software that you should install and set up. It uses your iTunes / iCloud account to locate your phone should you lose it. It will also ring the phone even if it is set to silent. It can also remotely lock and wipe the phone if you think someone has found it. We store an amazing amount of personal information on these devices.

Android phones have similar software. Lookout (limited free - or premium) and Seekdroid (paid) among others offer similar functions.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

hackberry jake

90 percent of the time, my iPhone is the only Internet I have (forestry forum). I use the calculator as my setworks and the memo option as my notebook. The camera is what I have used to upload almost all my photos. It's pretty handy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bibbyman

I have the Samsung infuse 4g.  Mary has an Apple something or other. I think she likes my phone better but likes the Apple system better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

redbeard

I use android, 24/7 also, excellent tool to have for sawmill bus. Handyman calculater has everything you need for calculating logs and lumber. Its a free app. Having my computer in my vest pocket has paid for itself 10 times every month. Going to dump internet and home phone this fall and go strictly mobile phone. Save some $
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rmack on July 17, 2012, 10:56:40 PM

problem is, I lost the stylus (pen) yesterday, $38.00 and 3 weeks delivery for a new one.

That's funny.....I'm sitting here at 4:27 AM an a commercial just came on that offers 4, that's right 4 STYLUS PENS for 10 dollars. Works on all phones, fits in your pocket and is magnetic.

Their website is WWW.GETSUPERSTYLUS.COM. or call 1-800-436-9197.

thecfarm

My wife has a new tablet. She needed a stylus pen. She had some trouble with the tablet and they gave her one,$15 value,I think. Well she wanted another one and got on Amazon and bought 2 more for under $5 and shipping was free. She got a cover for it the same time too. Than the plug for the charger broke. They did not have one,5 on back order,but would of been $50. Amazon again and she got 3 complete chargers,car,house and an adapter for her laptop for $22 and free shipping again.But the phone company did credit her account $20 for the charger that broke. She speaks right up for a credit.
Piston I see that one says plus shipping and handling,could be $9.99 for that.    :o  Those look kinda big for a cell phone. Those are the size my wife uses for her tablet.
I just have a cheapie cell phone that we buy minutes for. I have it on me when I'm in the woods. Never know I may need it in an emergency. Does come in handy for her to call me,if she needs me. I'm kinda surprized I have not broke it yet in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

We had blackberry's for a long time but finally went to the Iphone 4S. One of the nicer features for me is the talk to text as I'm usually driving a piece of heavy machinery and I have fat thumbs. The mapping feature is nice to find someone's place to bale or do field work for. I have a navonics app for finding those secret fishing spots too.

Jim_Rogers

I've been wanting to upgrade my phone for a while.
My contract has been up for a while.
I've had it with my provider for at least 20 years.
I was thinking of going to another with a cheaper rate, to save money. But I'm not sure if the coverage is the same in my area.

What kind of rates are you guys paying. Round numbers per month? I'm paying $58 texting is extra. no insurance plan

Also, did you purchase the insurance plan with your phone? and if so what did that cost you? round numbers per year or whatever.

One guy told me at the diner the other day, he's on his third phone as he keeps breaking them, all paid by yearly insurance plan.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Riggs

Quote from: redbeard on July 18, 2012, 02:37:18 AM
I use android, 24/7 also, excellent tool to have for sawmill bus. Handyman calculater has everything you need for calculating logs and lumber. Its a free app. Having my computer in my vest pocket has paid for itself 10 times every month. Going to dump internet and home phone this fall and go strictly mobile phone. Save some $

+1 on the handyman calculator, I use more than I use the phone.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

tcsmpsi

I have a phone..I think the new one is a Relaim or something of that nature (a 'green' phone).  It was one of the 'free' options on my last new contract.  Looked like one I could use without too much trouble.  About the time I get used to using one (2 yrs), it is time to re-up and it's about ready for replacement.  I can even text on it!!    :D

I still have my first portable phone.  A Motorola California Phone.  With battery, it only weighs 7 lbs.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Stephen1

I use a Samsung galaxy, I take pics, txt, use the calculator, I use the an app called a Level, works great for setting a log up to cut with the chain saw mill, in fact I would say it is the best app. Iphone has it also..you never need another level.. 8)
I have an app also that you can bluetooth to a device for your vehicle that reads the codes. the device plugs into the plug for a code reader, this app gives RPM, speed, acceleration, and will tell you what the code is for trouble shooting.
I listen to music in my hotel room with a small set of speakers, no need to carry a laptop anymore.
But as Bibby says, a TXT is so much easier to deal with than my answering machine. The txt is always there for reference if someone has sent you information, and if you are working the txt will be there when you can get to it. In fact most people do not expect an immediate response.
Jim, My daughter was in the states for a year and had samsung, for 50$ a month, unlimited txt, long distance, in the usa, and data for email and such.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

redbeard

My desk top computer that I use to spend way to much time on is older and I have Verizon broadband to run it is $60 mo. Land line is just a waste of $30 a mo with all the sales and political calls. I can use android to run desktop computer and the new printer fax machines are smart phone compatble just plug them in and you can do everything you use too. So hopefully instead of $200 a mo. I can get total plan down to under $100. Iam not up on all the capabilities but I dont miss sitting in front of computer screen. I like sitting  in sawmill chair between logs and smelling sawdust and reading latest posts on forestry forum.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

clearcut

The S Pen stylus for the Galaxy Note is more complex than a simple capacitive stylus. It is pressure sensitive and has a shift key for more complex input, thus the higher price.

As to monthly costs, I use a pay as you go plan with T-Mobile for talk and text for about $0.16 per minute and $0.10 per text, minutes expire after 1 year. I can buy data at $2-3 per day. Since I don't use my cell for for many phone calls, and cell data only rarely, I average about $6-8 per month. WiFi is available in many of the places I go so I use that instead of cell data. I bought a $100 Android phone (LG Optimus T) so I did not bother with insurance.

I use the phone mostly to listen to audiobooks and podcasts and to check email via WiFi. I keep a To Do and shopping list on Notational Acceleration that automatically syncs with Simplenote on the web and clients on my desk top and iPad. I use the camera all of the time to take visual memos - hours signs for local businesses, prices and model numbers for items that I am researching, pictures of the kids whenever we visit in a busy place so I have a record of the clothing they are wearing in case we get separated. I also keep a game or two on there for the kids when they have to wait for me for an appointment.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Thank You Sponsors!