iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop organizers

Started by redbeard, July 17, 2012, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Went to a farm auction last wknd. The ole farmer had quite the creative idea on his drawers for bolts n fittings.

they were tins from the 50s he had 100 drawers in that shop
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Redbeard, I look at this and can't help but laugh. Some guy had a pretty good imagination!
I like it.....and your pics too.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

You can even drain your drawer if something were to spill or leak. :D
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Just when you think that you have seen it all.   :o  That is amazing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

There are handles and everything. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jimparamedic

He may have lived through the great depression. my grandparents did and they found a use for everything.

whiskers

The piece he cut away had a purpose too. Nothing went to waste.
many irons in the fire.........

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

But you can not do that with today's plastic jugs.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jimparamedic

I use 2L pop bottles and the 8 pack plastic tray they are shipped in. I cut the bottle off at the top of the lable work great. Keeps nails and screws in easy reach.

Woodchuck53

No but the large tide liquid bottles with a 3" hole saw bore makes an easy way to seperate different size pvc fittings. I've used them for years. Put a ball of string in one and hang it up and the string is always tangle free and high enough that gravity keeps the end dangling and easy to access.

I bet we could list thousands if we thought about what we are taking for granted.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Lud

There are too many boxes of misc.  around the farm.  For a start,  I got some big , clear bins from the box store and labeled them Electrical, Plumbing, hardware, etc.

Here a few weeks , I was able to open up an old dining table and put in the two leaves.  This will be the main sorting spot. In the center of the table I put a pan  out of the bottom of a dog cage to contain the little stuff. Besides the cut off pop bottles in the rack,  I've also got a bunch of cigar boxes.  Also got a couple of "briefcases" with clear tops and a nest of little boxes inside from H.F.

Dump, sort, label and repeat.  My Dad claimed Organization is right behind Imagination in importance.  I appreciate that a bit more now than when I was 20.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Larry

I need to make some of those.  Than I would have a place to put my extra pieces of string...you know the ones too short to use. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I use to bring home alot of "junk" from work. I have it all in the old farm house,unsorted. I know I have it,but in what pile.  ::) I can usually find what I want and other times I found something better. But I do need to do something. One of my friends can not believe the "junk" I have. Another winter project. I need it close to the house too. Now I bring up a bunch of stuff that I think will work and than it just stays up here,until I get sick of it and back to the old farm house it goes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patty

I think I will start a new business.......organizing guy's workshops, garages, etc. I love organization (except in my sewing room!  ::) ) and last winter I organized our shop. It is awesome. Now when we need something, we can just go get it! What a concept!  Before I would spend half my day just looking for stuff, then get distracted, and would end up never finishing the original project. It drove me nuts.

Norm's buddy has a shop that is a mess. My fingers just itch to clean it up when I go there. Now don't get me wrong, I don't like to actually clean stuff, you can see that the instant you walk into my house, but I do like to organize.

I can see it now.....Patty's Handy Dandy Shop Organizer or PHDSO. Call now for all of your organizing needs!!!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Patty,

I could sure use that service, just as soon as I convince my better half that I need a shop!

Herb

jimparamedic

But if you organize it then I won't be able to find it. One persons mess is anothers organized clutter.

Ron Scott

I've seen several old time shops in the western U.P. with those cut out can organizers for nuts and bolts. They worked very well.
~Ron

sandhills

Quote from: whiskers on July 18, 2012, 10:36:03 AM
The piece he cut away had a purpose too. Nothing went to waste.
Yep, they patched the holes in all the old corn shellers, threshers, and everything else around the farm, all you need is a little bailing wire to tie them on and good as new!  Don't ask me how I know this.

fat olde elf

Great stuff " My wife refuses to enter my "den" 12 X 28 or my Workshoppe. She says she is afraid that her "organizing" penchant will take over and she will spend many hours getting my stuff organized. Then I will not be able to find anything. I do welcome her help when I cannot find a specific item. Life in the fast lane, Retired for 11 years and and married for 51. Life is good, Say your prayers.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

whiskers

Quote from: jimparamedic on July 18, 2012, 07:31:45 AM
He may have lived through the great depression. my grandparents did and they found a use for everything.

Waste not want not was a way of life for our parents. My dad used a shim fashioned from a Prince Albert can on the breech pin of an old shotgun. He made firing pins from nails. They were use to making do with whatever was on the place.     
many irons in the fire.........

ScottAR

These "organizers" are all over most auto body shops as solvent still come in similar cans and there's not much else you can do with em.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Phorester

I've seen some of those big metal storage units used in mechanic shops with the horizontal revolving layers of metal bins sell for over $500 apiece. Seems like using old metal cans like this would be a lot cheaper.........

Thank You Sponsors!