iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs to Lumber

Started by levans, July 13, 2012, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levans

As a mill owner I can't think of a more satisfying and prettier site than stacks of  lumber on one side and an empty log deck on the other. I work alone so it takes Me awhile to get a job done between sawing  and having to stop to do other things, cows, pigs, chickens, the goats are out!!, horse, mule, sheep, heart stints :) .But when it's done it's so nice to sit on the mill and just look at it sometimes. 

lyle niemi

morgoon

IS YOUR NAME-O

Looks great :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

slider

Too fine,levins. nice stash
al glenn

Magicman

Surely you have a building project in mind  ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

My big thrill is see the stack being used for a building.    ;D  I'm in the process of building a Veggie Shack. The customers think it's neat that I cut the trees on my land and I can saw the trees into lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Yes, it is neat to them, but the personal pride and satisfaction that we get is immeasurable.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

levans

A project indeed Magicman, she who rules wants a garage added to the house. That's why I took the job on shares, I get way more lumber than I could buy for what I would get in cash.

Magicman

Quote from: levans on July 14, 2012, 08:02:35 AM
she who rules wants a .......

Believe me, I fully understand.  I am installing behind the counter marble tiles on the kitchen walls as we speak.   ;)

red oaks lumber

nice looking lumber, when stickering have your first sticker about 2" from the end. with your stickers in that far you have a good chance of the lumber bowing down as the wood dries.
if their is a way to have your piles on top of each other  you'll have better air flow.
keep sawing!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

lyle niemi

I have done a few different things in my carrer but I wasnt really content at any of it until I got this mill this winter. I think I found my calling after many years. The mill is possibly going to be my full time job in the near future 8)

levans

I hear you on the stickers Red Oak, If I were going to air dry the lumber I would put at least four stickers  per layer but all of the 1x10 and 1x12 are going to the kiln this week and then I will sort and re-sticker the rest Thanks for the advice.

Knute

I can see why you like to sit and look at it! Very nice.

morgoon

Quote from: lyle niemi on July 14, 2012, 08:56:23 AM
I have done a few different things in my carrer but I wasnt really content at any of it until I got this mill this winter. I think I found my calling after many years. The mill is possibly going to be my full time job in the near future 8)

Yeah what Lyle said! :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

clww

That appears to be what I term "Successful Progress". 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!