iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

siding jig

Started by steve phillips, July 13, 2012, 08:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

does anyone own one , is it a good investment
im thinking about getting one and use it to saw my siding for new shop figure its cheaper than buying vinyl . thanks
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Woodsrover

Make one.
I'm going to make myself a shingle jig in the next couple months...Same idea but longer.

steve phillips

hey woods
i would make it but my shop is broke , like to the ground lol
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

pineywoods

Jiggs ? jiggs ?  We don't need no stinkin jiggs.  ;D put a cant on the mill. Raise up one side of the cant and stick a 3/8 or so thick piece of scrap between the bunk and the edge of the cant. Saw off a board. Remove the scrap. Saw off anther board. Repeat...Oh btw use the same piece of scrap each time.. :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

moandrich

We have 2 2X6s with hinges, a little wood cut off to accept a C clamp.  Clamp the jig to the mill and screw the clamp on, put a small piece of wood in-between the 2X6s every other cut, works great.

This is our latest project with our mill.  All made with one tree, roof is clapboard.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=28728&pid=116891#top_display_media
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

giant splinter

Steve
The shingle lapsider is a nice addition to your mill and may be faster than re-clamping a cant as it is just a flip of a lever and your cutting your next board,i have done it both ways and I personally prefer the Wood-Mizer to the wedge method. I used a continuous wedge across all the bunks and you can get longer siding boards doing it that way.
roll with it

Buck

Like Piney said....wedges work and are cheap. I guess it just boils down to how much siding you will cut. I have to admit, I've looked at the attachment too. I haven't cut a lot of bevel siding on custom cut jobs but I really haven't tried to develop that business. It slows me wayyy down.  Any slower and I'd be backing up. ;D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Woodsrover

Quote from: steve phillips on July 13, 2012, 09:02:07 PM
hey woods
i would make it but my shop is broke , like to the ground lol

Yeah, I heard about that.  Bummer.  Did you post some photos somewhere?  I lost probably 100 trees in a storm on June 22nd.  Thankfully nothing on the house or barn though I have enough firewood for probably 5 or 6 years and enough logs for all the projects I can think of!

I like the idea of wedges.  Simple!

grweldon

So how does clapboard work on a roof?  I have considered this before but didn't even want to expend the effort trying until I at least heard of somebody with some success.  Thinking about using it on a post and beam shed/barn...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

gr
What material are you thinking for the clapboard?

If the right material and steep enough pitch, seems a possibility.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moandrich

Time will tell if the clapboard works on the roof, sure looks good.  It is on a structure that does not have to be perfectly dry.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Thank You Sponsors!