iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Early mast crop this year?

Started by chain, July 13, 2012, 01:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Don't know what you foresters are seeing but squirrels have begun cutting native pecan today. Earliest I ever saw here. Heavy soft mast in shrubs, cedars, and wild grapevines, birds eating-up red-ripe Autumn-olive berries. Not so good in blackberry, elderberry, obviously drought affected.

The only thing I see that is late this year are my yard Bluebirds, fledglings not quite ready to make the big plunge out of the box.

Question is, if hard mast comes off extra early, could this have a detrimental effect in late winter foods for wildlife?

beenthere

Here the squirrels are taking green hickory nuts from the tree and cutting branch tips to get at the oak acorns.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

It may be that they are having to do it because of lack of other food because of the effects of the drought on their normal food supply this time of year.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

I noticed a couple of days ago that there are lots of Walnuts on the tree that started producing last year.

Last year we got about 1½ bushels of nuts and it looks like there are more than that now!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Many of the hickory nuts on my trees have aborted due to the drought.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!