iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lyles saw mill finaly straight'ish

Started by dave9252, July 12, 2012, 01:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave9252

After a whole 4 hrs ish sleep Lyle woke me up all excited about getting his sawmill cutting straight, so after a few hours of tinkering and measuring more tinkering and measuring we finaly got it as close to perfect as we could.
Here it is in action, via youtube that is.
http://youtu.be/AmlhxeudPiw
http://youtu.be/D8_9rs1q-j8
http://youtu.be/IMgkXNSB3as

After a little proof watching, it appears they are sped up somehow. Not sure how it happened, but enjoy..
Dave

Woodchuck53

That is a fine idea Lyle. I will be using the flipper idea to kick the
boards off my  conveyor. I have really enjoyed your build. Thank you. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

beenthere

Great and enjoyed the videos, and hope more are coming. Real time and some fixed camera positioning would be very helpful.
The flow seems pretty good, and good on you for the clever fabrication.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Very good flow of material,a log turner would really slick things up,good job Lyle. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Thanx  for postin the vdeo Dave, next time your up the steaks will be over the fire pit!

SPD748

That's it Lyle! You leave me no choice but to call in sick today and work on my mill :)

What beast that thing is! I just picked up at least three more ideas to add to mine. Cough... cough. I'm feeling terrible.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

sandhills

Sweeeeeeet!  Somehow I think there will be/already has been a lot of good ideas pirated off your build, that just plain works great, good job guys!

lyle niemi

Quote from: SPD748 on July 12, 2012, 10:42:57 AM
That's it Lyle! You leave me no choice but to call in sick today and work on my mill :)

What beast that thing is! I just picked up at least three more ideas to add to mine. Cough... cough. I'm feeling terrible.

-lee
Hi Lee, I still got a few more ideas I will be working on in the future, I want to start thinkin about the shed very soon cause the sun is raising havoc on me and the mill.
Which ideas did you get from watching the vid? Im just curious

dblair

nice mill , has been a great project for him
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

snowshoveler

I have 3 things to say about this mill.
First and foremost...ear and eye protection. I wear a hardhat with the visor and muffs and still wear safety glasses.
Second...you covered the bade from the sun, thats good. Add a little bit more and protect yourself a bit.
Third...when your lumber gets pulled off the conveyor (nice idea  by the way) have it drop onto some 4x4 or something so a set of forks can pick it up easily. The more you have to handle it yourself the more work it becomes, and i just know you have some machinery with forks on it.
Awesome build so far, be proud of yourself because the rest of are impressed.
Regards Chris 
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

lyle niemi

Quote from: snowshoveler on July 12, 2012, 07:12:40 PM
I have 3 things to say about this mill.
First and foremost...ear and eye protection. I wear a hardhat with the visor and muffs and still wear safety glasses.
Second...you covered the bade from the sun, thats good. Add a little bit more and protect yourself a bit.
Third...when your lumber gets pulled off the conveyor (nice idea  by the way) have it drop onto some 4x4 or something so a set of forks can pick it up easily. The more you have to handle it yourself the more work it becomes, and i just know you have some machinery with forks on it.
Awesome build so far, be proud of yourself because the rest of are impressed.
Regards Chris
Your absolutly right about the safty! Tomoorrow Im gonna gather up my PPE and start wearing it. Isa gots lots of lumber ta make 8)

Ron Wenrich

I suggest making a shield out of shatterproof glass.  But, I figured you would do that once the building is up.  I always wear ear muffs.  But, our mill is louder due to all the equipment.  Chippers make a lot of noise.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on July 13, 2012, 05:23:28 AM
I suggest making a shield out of shatterproof glass.  But, I figured you would do that once the building is up.  I always wear ear muffs.  But, our mill is louder due to all the equipment.  Chippers make a lot of noise.
Yep, I was thinking glass also, I still have that big ol combine in the yard with big ol sheets of glass in it. I just got to figure out what kind of glass it is. I do have a glass tester tho, its my little hammer, we will see if it shatters or just cracks. Im thinking it might be a windshield glass in there which would be ideal. I got to wait and see what the hammer says..lol

SPD748

Good morning Lyle,

Where to start... Well, I always wanted a powered conveyor with a splitter. I looked at the Mellott version that goes over the mandrel as an only option. I figured the small bits of material that fell in front of the mandrel would cause problems. It would seem, by watching your videos, this isn't a problem after all. An over the mandrel conveyor would be much more complicated to fabricate than one that sits behind the mandrel. I also like the gate and slab kicker that you came up with. I never thought of those. With your system, an off bearer stay away from the blade area. I think it's time to break out my CAD program and see what I can draw!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Woodchuck53

Morning Lyle. The old case combines that have willingly given so much material and parts to my rebuild all had tempered safety glass. And they were 1965 906 models so you should be good.

How much GPM is your hyd. system? I have yet to fabricate my log turner and a few other small things. I want to have enough power. Looks good. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on July 13, 2012, 09:59:31 PM
Morning Lyle. The old case combines that have willingly given so much material and parts to my rebuild all had tempered safety glass. And they were 1965 906 models so you should be good.

How much GPM is your hyd. system? I have yet to fabricate my log turner and a few other small things. I want to have enough power. Looks good. Chuck
Hi chuck,
I dont know what the GPMs are on the 1105 but it runs things really well. When I was useing the hyd pump that was on the JD engine things did not work as well, it was probably a smaller pump then the massey

Don_Papenburg

The glass in the older 6600 7700 JD combine cabs are tempered safty glass .It could be used if you put a large saftymesh in front  , say a 2x2 or 3x3 with at least a 1/4 inch wire.
The massey uses a radial piston pump that varies the volume as needed  .  the combine uses a two fixed gear pumps . On mine the one off the engine power shaft was a double pump and then had a single pump working off the primary counter shaft.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Al_Smith

Most likely that Massey pump is a variable volume Vickers design .Very good pumps ,pricey .

From the look of things that tractor has plenty of power and it appears the mill is doing nicely .It has to be noted and commended that in such a short time a salvaged combine and an old mill have morphed into what looks like a nice unit .

lyle niemi

I sawed up some 20 foot 2x10s and it looks like I need some more fine tuning on my track.

Al_Smith

Good heavens the cat looks like a second cousin to my ex wifes gray cat .Say now is that also a foul tempered feline like my ex's ?

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 16, 2012, 11:02:00 AM
Good heavens the cat looks like a second cousin to my ex wifes gray cat .Say now is that also a foul tempered feline like my ex's ?

You suggesting your ex had a foul temper?  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Satamax

Quote from: beenthere on July 16, 2012, 12:45:13 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on July 16, 2012, 11:02:00 AM

You suggesting your ex had a foul temper?  ;D

Well, didn't all of them have?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

lyle niemi

I started to cut some 20 foot 2x10s and things were not going well, I was 3/16s out from one end to the other end! I removed the carridge AGAIN and run my string line and the tracks were out. I dont know how I missed it the first time I lined things up??? Things could of moved, I dont know. I do have it within a 16th of an inch in 20 feet which I think is OK. I also do know my Ibeams that the bunks slide on are wore down some also, I will have to do a major on the carridge this winter.

Ga Mtn Man

So, I have to ask...What the heck was in the cat's mug?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!