iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Filters

Started by Autocar, July 10, 2012, 05:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Probably dryer then it was in 1988, the skid trails are like a feather dust when you step in it it just flys like dust. Pulled the air cleaner out of the skidder this morning and blew out all the dust with my leaf blower. Ready to go for another day. Just a reminder for everyone with the dry weather air filters get filled with dust in a hurry. Even my radiator was fill with a fine dust before I move I will bring it home and give it a good bath  ;).
Bill

tyb525

It's a good idea to spray off your radiator every day, even a little bit of dust can reduce cooling
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

T Welsh

All our daily runners get the radiator and air cleaners blown out before the start of the day, and all fluid levels checked and topped off before putting into service. Hence comes the saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Tim

treefarmer87

mine was dirty lat week also, cleaned it and changed the fuel filters too :).
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

davch00

Re: Air Filters
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:38:14 pm »
It's a good idea to spray off your radiator every day, even a little bit of dust can reduce cooling

I live just off a main highway on a gravel road and its been so dry and dusty here I've had to take a water hose the radiator on my truck because it was trying to overheat when idling for more than a minute or two. I didn't know that much dust and that many bugs could be in the cooling fins of a radiator. I'm sure the 105+ temps was't helping either but thankfully it rained and cooled off some.

lumberjack48

We did all our maintenance work after shut down everyday. Take air cleaners off skidders, pound dust out on tire, if real bad replace it. Then grease the skidder, check oil, an ect. We refueled in the morning when warming up because we had people siphon the fuel out at night. We refueled at night if it was safe.

I put a screen on the inside of the radiator to catch the dust. If real dusting it had to be shuck off twice a day. Its much easier to clean the screen then the radiator, this was with a pusher fan. I all so put a fine screen over air in take, every little thing helps.

Same with the saws all sharpened up, air cleaners cleaned and fueled up for
the next day.

When i hit the job in the morning i wanted to start pulling wood not do maintenance work.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

DDDfarmer

Has anyone ever replaced the air filter on a detroit with a K&N re-useable air filter? 1- $125 re-useable filter vs $50 paper filter every 6 months?   might be worth the retrofit.

I have one on my pickup, take it off at night and wash, install in the morning.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

lumberjack48

It would be easy to adapt to it, i would think it would be the only way to go.

My fathers C5, 3-53 had the oil bath air cleaner, the fine dust didn't get though it. I still think this is the best.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!