iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

He ain't dead yet......

Started by Delawhere Jack, July 09, 2012, 03:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

My first paying customer mentioned that he had some wood milled by a gentleman in his eighties, who had since passed away. In conversation, he offered enough information that I was able to find the mill, still sitting in a driveway as he described. An LT40 hyd, maybe 10-15 years old. I stashed that little nugget away for later use.

After having to turn down a job Saturday because the logs were just too big for my mill, I figured it was time to pay a visit to his widow to inquire about the mill. (I would have insisted that she have one of her children present during the deal, I'm NOT looking to rip off an elderly woman).

I knock on  the door is answered by a woman in her mid eighties. I introduce myself, and tell her that I run a portable mill. She replies, "Oh, you want to speak to my husband."

:o

Out he comes. 87 years old, (and looking to be in better shape than most 70 year olds). He's still milling, said he isn't doing anything in this heat, but he does plan to get out once things cool off a bit.

As expected, a really nice fella. We chatted for a bit, and exchanged business cards. He said that he has a friend interested in the mill who would get first shot at it, but he'll keep me in mind if he decides to hang it up.

Oh well, looks like ramps, chains, cables and sweat will remain in my future for a while.

Kansas

Reminds me of Mark Twain. His quote "the reports of my death have been exaggerated." after he was reported dead and it was his cousin.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Kansas on July 09, 2012, 04:10:06 PM
Reminds me of Mark Twain. His quote "the reports of my death have been exaggerated." after he was reported dead and it was his cousin.

That is exactly what the man said.

Sprucegum

:D  :D  :D

I would be dropping in there again just to see what else he might say; I bet he is chuck full of interesting facts.

Jim_Rogers

I had the same thing happen to me once.

I walked into the diner to get some lunch and my electrician was sitting there, and said: "
the report of your death was greatly exaggerated...."

It seems that a younger fellow, who spells his name with a "d" in it. Die a while before that day of stomach cancer. And they put it in the newspaper that Jim Rodgers from Georgetown, died.

I told him that if he looked in the local phone book he would find at least 10 "Jim Rogers" listings.

I get all kinds of calls looking for another person, not me, from people getting the wrong person with the same name.

Many years ago, I had one fellow living down the next street from me about a mile away.
He lived on Jackman Street, and I live on Jewett Street, and we both had the same mailman.
We'd get each other's mail all the time.....

Jim Rogers (alive at this time......)
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Slabs

Yeah.  I heard that there was a rumor that I didn't survive my first all expense paid vacation to beautiful and exotic Southeast Asia.

Severe exaggeration.  I even made another.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Kansas

Its amazing how fast news can travel in small towns and rural areas. The Post Office is one of the biggest one that spreads information, just from people hanging around there. Several years ago, we poured a concrete pad for our retail mulch sales. I was at the post office one day. They asked what the pad was for. I said, oh, we decided to put in a strip club. That took about two seconds to go to everyone in town. There were people that bought that hook, line and sinker. Wonder how many calls the county got over that one.

Misfit

Quote from: Kansas on July 09, 2012, 04:10:06 PM

Another quote attributed to Mark Twain (although it's debatable that someone else made it) was when asked if he attended the funeral of someone he particularly disliked he replied, "No, I did not; but I sent a very nice letter espressing my approval of it."
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Al_Smith

:D Historically it's kind of a toss up of who had the most quoted "one liners " .Either Ben Franklin or Samual Langhorne Clemens AKA Mark Twain .Both were equally adept at the fine art of spreading camal dung because these were in days before BS was invented .

bandmiller2

Scuttle butt in the navy,I'd make up something and see how fast it would come around and what it would morph into,helped pass the time. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!