iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So I got this pig...

Started by Sprucegum, July 09, 2012, 01:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

Its a 40 pound suckling pig that I will roast on a spit in August. I wish I could go to Harrison and eat that big pig but its not in the cards this year  :(  The Dear Wife says we got to have our own celebration just because we have been married for forty years  ::)  :-*

I have a nice firepit complete with spit but no cover and no plans to make one. I realize it will take longer to cook but I have time. My concerns are with flavor;

Do you use a rub? Baste? Injections? Any favorite recipes?

sandhills

All the above  ;D.  In all seriousness though check out the sight that Norm put up about the BGE's the other day, lots of good sounding recipes for rubs,sauces, pretty much anything there.  I'd like to help more but I pretty much wing it when I cook stuff like that, can say though it should be good!  smiley_thumbsup

beenthere

Roast pig is good just on its own, IMO.  No need for adding anything, unless you don't like roast pork.  :)

Grits and zucchini need something added. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Quote from: beenthere on July 09, 2012, 02:52:36 PM
Roast pig is good just on its own, IMO.  No need for adding anything, unless you don't like roast pork.  :)

Grits and zucchini need something added. ;)

Yeah, the need roast pig.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thurlow

Ain't never cooked no whole piggy, but I've cooked more shoulders than you can shake a stick at;  have never put any kind of rub, baste.....anything... on one.  Sometimes I will put some homemade barbecue sauce on it after it's pulled and ready to eat and...........sometimes I don't.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Sprucegum

Thanks guys, being the experimental sort I will probably rub the inside and inject one shoulder for comparison - conversation  :)

Jeff

During the cooking process I repeatedly inject the forum pigroast pigs with a mixture of BBQ sauce and beer. Innitially the heat is high, then turned down. It usually takes 12-16 hours to roast the hogs, depending on the size. We usually have one around 160 lbs.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

Thanks Jeff, I was wondering if you were still a member here  ;)  :D

Jeff

Been a tough spring and summer so far around here. Doctors orders on limiting time on the computer due to some neck/nerve irritation issues.  :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mrpink

when my grandpa was alive he cooked a whole pig over a pit every year. he always swabbed it with salt water every hour or so; no other seasoning needed or used.

I do the same when I cook one. taste's great, BBQ sauce can be added after it is pulled and chopped if desired

Thank You Sponsors!