iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Easy way to strip an old timber frame

Started by shinnlinger, July 09, 2012, 12:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Taking down a second frame on my property, but this one is worth saving.  Built in 1825 it is pretty cool old frame.  All hewn timbers and what not.  The conventional way to save these frames is to pry every board off by hand, which is alot of dusty work as you can imagine.

Not having the time nor energy, I suspended an old hay hook from the excavator and my neighbor helped direct it and told me when I had a rafter or purlin coming up.  Frequently I could swing it under the boards and pull off chunks unassisted.  We striped the whole front in about 2 hours and that includes finishing up the few remaining boards by hand.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

teach

Any reason the pics you are posting are so small? Just curious, as can't see them well enough what you are pointing out. As were the truck pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I have no idea what your intent is but a word of advice if you care to reassemble it. Number every timber and take a bunch of pictures.

I made a concave punch out of steel round stock to help a friend of mine salvage a small "carriage" barn. It would aid in driving the pins out of the frame with a sledge hammer and believe it or not a majority came out intact. Not many joints were ruined either. He had 5 gallon buckets full of pins.

Thank You Sponsors!