iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks for the tip

Started by thecfarm, July 08, 2012, 10:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I had a blade that was not cutting smooth,was leaving marks on the lumber. I remembered a tip that someone took an adjustable and ran it along the teeth. When the wrench stopped,there was the bent tooth. I gave it a try and found 2 teeth in a row that was bent. I bent them up just a little and it worked wonderful. Just about all the marks were gone. I don't saw a lot,but I know I will remember that tip from now on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on July 08, 2012, 10:04:15 PM
I had a blade that was not cutting smooth,was leaving marks on the lumber. I remembered a tip that someone took an adjustable and ran it along the teeth. When it wrench stopped,there was the bent tooth. I gave it a try and find 2 teeth in a row that was bent. I bent them up just a little and it worked wonderful. Just about all the marks were gone. I don't saw a lot,but I know I will remember that tip from now on.

Did you use a standard adjustable or metric adjustable?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 08, 2012, 10:09:33 PM

Use a metric adjustable for metric dimension blades and a standard adjustable for others  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: pineywoods on July 08, 2012, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 08, 2012, 10:09:33 PM

Use a metric adjustable for metric dimension blades and a standard adjustable for others  ::)
First have to determine if teeth are bent out by mm or inches.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Indiana Robinson

I do have one metric adjustable wrench... Where the others all give the wrench length in inches on the handle that one gives the wrench length in metrics. I forget how many millipedes it is.  :D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Riggs

thecfarm, (or someone else) could you add a pic or explain it a little better for me, I sawed a mantle for a guy a few weeks ago and had to change blades several time before I got one that cut REALLY smooth. Thanks in advance.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Riggs on July 09, 2012, 09:48:33 AM
thecfarm, (or someone else) could you add a pic or explain it a little better for me...

For me too.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Banjo picker

I remembered a tip that someone took an adjustable  (wrench//cresent wrench) and ran it along the teeth. When the wrench stopped,there was the bent tooth.

Items in Parentheses : by me....just a guess  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Mark a spot on the blade so you know where you started.I just closed up the adjustable wrench onto the teeth of the blade until I felt it slightly dragged on the teeth. Real important,do not adjust it again, or you have to start all over. I moved the wrench along the teeth until it stopped,that is a bent tooth. I bent it up just a little. It was just a guess on how much to bend it and I got lucky.

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

MHineman

Quote from: Indiana Robinson on July 09, 2012, 08:27:43 AM
I do have one metric adjustable wrench... Where the others all give the wrench length in inches on the handle that one gives the wrench length in metrics.
My Brother-in-law had an auto repair shop back in the 70's.  He had an old guy working for him that had the prevailing attitude about anything Metric since that was only used on those foreign cars.

He said he only had and only needed ONE Metric tool.... a pair of big Vise Grips.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Indiana Robinson

I once bent one tooth each way on a spare tablesaw blade because I was trying to match some parts on an old item (big wooden antique box) that had been rough sawn and the good blade was cutting too smooth. I had to feed it kind of fast so it would cut rough enough.

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

fat olde elf

Had a nice fellow stop by a few years ago.. Wanted to know if I had any "rough sawn" pine for sale.  I did have some pine up to 12" wide which I showed him. He ran his hand over the boards and said "no, these are too smooth, I want rough sawn " I told him to come back in two days and I would have something for him check out.  I bent several teeth on a band and milled up several pieces of pine.  He came back and loved it.  I made the sale and he was happy. I was happy too as he paid cash.  Always be flexible and try to please the customer......You never know who or what is going to walk in the front door........Say your prayers........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

bandmiller2

The adjustable wrench trick is a good one,if you don't have one with you a piece of sticken run along the stopped band with a little feel you can ferret out the offending teeth,then use pliers or whatever you have to bend them back.Some folks like the circular rough pattern left by a round saw.Try those new bands from Cooks if you want the almost planned look. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!