iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill setup woes

Started by Chuck White, July 08, 2012, 07:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Just finished a 5,300 board foot sawjob this afternoon.

What a PITA is was, in one respect anyway!

The customer had the logs staged on an incline!

When I got my mill "near" level, the bottom of the hitch was 3 inches above the ground!

Everything had to be done bent over!

Nice job, nice logs and good people, still glad it's done though.

Before I left, I took the time to explain to them why it's important to have the logs staged on "fairly" level ground!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

smiley_clapping  Good man and good job.

terrifictimbersllc

I'd be sitting down to do that job!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Chuck, just think.....it'll make the next job seem like a Cake Walk.  :)

I hope.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Chuck, I had one similar to that back in the Spring.  I saw that they had a FEL that could handle and move the logs, so I just proceeded to set the sawmill up on level ground.  The customer arrived later and was quite surprised when I showed him why I had set up that way.  Sometimes folks just do not know/understand.  In my instance, everything worked out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

A site evaluation can enlighten some customers. I always have an open schedule when I do site evaluations as some take 15 min and others can take half a day. But it pays dividends on sawing day.
However not always can a customer be flexible.

I have a repeat customer that likes the side hill milling site over the flat milling site, so I accommodate him.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!