iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds)

Started by Norm, July 08, 2012, 04:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

These are all the rage on the bbq boards but for some reason I've never tried them. Spotted some nice looking jalapenos at the store so thought since the weathers not so hot today to throw some on the grill.

I used some sausage mixed with cream cheese and grated provolone for the filling.

I thought I'd try some on the half shell and some with the top cut off and stuffed.

Then wrapped with bacon.

I'll let these set up in the fridge for a couple of hours before lighting the big weber.

They're supposed to cook indirect for an hour or until the bacon crisps up.

martyinmi

Now that looks good! I'll be off all next week(Trigger Finger release on three fingers), and I believe I can do that one handed. You'll post some after pics, right?
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

okmulch

I always throw a couple on the smoker when cooking. I love em! 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

Those look great Larry!

Well they were very good.

The half shell ones were the better of the two. I'd also put more cheese on them next time. I also finally grilled up the dino t-bones last night. One weighed in at 30oz the other right at 25oz.

I'm just a tab bit full still this morning.  :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

I've tried different variations of them they're fun, easy, and quite tasty little critters, oh and I do believe Norm has now killed, cooked and eaten the last remaining dinosaur on earth!  Them's some big T-bones, but I think he started with that big rib he's holding in his avatar  :).

Yoopersaw

I finally did these.  I used my own jalapenos grown in my green houses so they turned out extra nice, using a Biker Billy variety that is exceptionally hot.  I split them and used Philly, hot Italian sausage, and provolone cheese wrapped in bacon.  Cooked on the Weber indirectly for about 50 minutes, and WOW.  Nice and hot.  Thanks for the receipe since these are going to be made again.  I'll eat some cold left overs later today.

Buck

Golly Norm, You got it goin on man.  :o  That cooking always sounds good.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Norm

Thanks Buck!

Yoopersaw I did the first batch with store bought ones and while they were hot nothing out of the ordinary. Later I tried some from out of our garden. Holy cow were they hot!

Yoopersaw

They are fantastic cold also.  I need to freeze a few and thaw them out and try them hot and cold.  Sure better than any popper that you can buy.

Mike@Norwood

Those ABT's look amazing.

If you're in a pinch for time or don't fee like going thru the trouble of hollowing out the center just dice or mince the peppers up and stir together with the filling and throw it in the over, smoker, etc...... It makes for an awesome dip. I would never dare suggest to leave bacon out of anything, but if you had enough filling to make two batches, give chorizo sausage a try with the filling mixture. Of course, it will need to be fried first. It's packed with flavor.

Break out a bag of tortilla chips and you're good to go.

scgargoyle

The only problem I've had with ABT's is that there's never enough of 'em!

If you're brave, try Nuclear Buffalo Turds, using habeneros instead.

I always make them on the smoker, but since I don't have a smoker up here where I'm building, I'll have to try some on the little Weber. Gotta have some smoke, though.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Norm

That's an interesting idea for a dip Mike, thanks for sharing it.  :)

Warbird

My only problem with food that spicy is when I'm done processing it, it gets the final revenge.  Never a pleasant experience and I've never understood why someone would do that intentionally!

drobertson

Awsome recipe, will do, we stuff ours with venison, cheddaar, but have never wrapped them, will do this on the 2012 bow hunt for sure, thanks.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Yoopersaw

Since this was a banner year for my Biker Billy peppers, I made ABT's for 3 days with several batches each day on the half shell.  Froze them and ate about a dozen tonight warmed up in the toaster oven.  WOW  8) is all I can say.  I could still smell the smoke from the grill on them.  Nicest part is that I have enough to last the winter.  Thank you!

SPIKER

One of my co-workers brings them in on occasion, real good going DOWN till about half way when the heat hits ya and of course the next day they seem to get hotter :o 8) :D eh eh
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

scgargoyle

Update- I made a small batch of ABT's on my little Weber Smokey Joe, and they came out great! I set them on foil so they wouldn't burn up, and threw in a chunk of hickory for smoke. I think they took about an hour.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Yoopersaw

Quote from: Yoopersaw on November 13, 2012, 06:48:10 PM
Since this was a banner year for my Biker Billy peppers, I made ABT's for 3 days with several batches each day on the half shell.  Froze them and ate about a dozen tonight warmed up in the toaster oven.  WOW  8) is all I can say.  I could still smell the smoke from the grill on them.  Nicest part is that I have enough to last the winter.  Thank you!

Well I thought I had enough anyway.  These things are addictive.  It's going to be awhile before I have ripe peppers again. :'(

Yoopersaw

Well, it's getting close to the time when my Biker Billy Jalapeno peppers will be ripening.  I planted over a hundred plants this year, so I'm set this time.   8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Might I suggest adding some chiltepines to the filling to warm it up a bit. A little mesquite fuel in the Weber wouldn't hurt either. ;D Looks yummy. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Yoopersaw

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 14, 2013, 07:35:29 PM
Might I suggest adding some chiltepines to the filling to warm it up a bit. A little mesquite fuel in the Weber wouldn't hurt either. ;D Looks yummy. 8) 8) 8) 8)

I've never heard of them; but, they sound like something that I need to try.

mesquite buckeye

They are the little wild chili peppers. Often you can find them dried in the Mexican food section of the grocery store. I grow my own. They are more better. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Yoopersaw

I googled the peppers and read all about them.  I also tried the 2 grocery stores in town and they never heard of them.  Now it's time to figure out how to get some.

Thank You Sponsors!