iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pain in the ...knee!

Started by Patty, July 08, 2012, 11:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Back in April I hurt my right knee. I have no idea how for sure, but I suspect it was during kick boxing. The roundhouse kick can really twist the support knee if you are not in good form. I backed off on the kicks and expected it to heal, but by the end of May I had to see the doctor for pain meds. Fast forward, it has been 3 months now and the knee is not healing. One minute it feels just fine, and the next minute the pain is so excruciating that I see stars and cannot put any weight on the thing. Then in a minute or 5, if I just do not move, the pain goes away. If I try to keep going during this painful time, it just lingers on for as long as I continue to move.

So has this happened to any of you, and if so, what did you do about it? The pain is localized on the inside of the knee, just to the left of the kneecap. I see some slight swelling, but nothing to get excited about. Does anyone know if this will heal on its own if treated gently? Or should I just tough it out and chalk one more thing up to "old age"?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WH_Conley

Sounds like where mine hurts. Had am MRI, torn mediscus(sp), been about 8 years. No, it won't heal. I imagine the good doc will be along and shed a lot more light on this than I can.
Bill

Chris Burchfield

A couple of years ago, I went to move the mill for a saw job and hook it up to the truck.  Red Wasp had built in one of the legs.  I hate to be stung and took off running.  Some 20+ feet out I tripped on my own two feet or a stobb sticking up out of the ground.  Direct impact to one knee with the ground.  Rocked on about two weeks and instead of getting better, it was getting worse.  More painful.  Told wife, she got me into an ortho doc.  Week later I was in surgery for a torn meniscus.  Took about two years to get back to normal.  Would have been cheaper and less painful to have just been stung.  Had trip and fall thing same knee 25 years ago with surgery.  Didn't take but about two weeks to get over it back then.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

doctorb

That kind of immediate pain followeed by fairly quick relief, only to have the cycle repeat itself again and again.....is usually a torn meniscus.  It can also be from a loose body (free floating fragment of cartilage) that occasionally finds itself in the wrong place.  Both of these can also cause clicking or locking of the joint or a sense of giving way, like when going down the stairs.

Patty, if it's been three months and your not able to confidently use that knee, it is probably time for an examination / x-ray / MRI.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Norm

Patty

Oh man!  :-\  I was afraid you might say that doc. I was really hoping for you to say, "Oh it will heal on its own, just give it time."  Also thought it might be osteoarthritis in the joint, and could exercise my way out of this mess.

So.....who is the best orthopedic surgeon in Iowa? Any advice is appreciated.

By the way, another stupid trick the knee sometimes will do is when walking, it feels like it bends backward, instead of forward. This is not painful, but it is certainly disconcerting, to say the least. Is this a symptom of torn meniscus ? Is there any cure short of surgery? I really would like an alternative if one exists. I am such a big baby.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

doctorb

Patty-

It can be arthritis, but the symptoms are more like a mechanical problem than articular cartilage degeneration.  Arthritis may be an underlying factor, and it can get worse with other joint problems. 

You may not know this, but Iowa has one of the best orthopedic teaching programs in the country.  I know a couple of people from there.  Let me get back to you via PM when I can get you the name of THE GUY you should see.  BTW, I know what you mean about being a big baby.  But the fear of a surgery often does two things.  1.  It can really over-exaggerate the patient's reaction to the proceedure and 2.  Make them feel a little foolish when things go much better than their fears would allow them to envision.

I think a diagnosis is the first place to start.  Without it, our imaginations just run unchecked.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WH_Conley

Better watch it Norm. You will be in an argument that you can't win. As if the man could ever win one. :D
Bill

Norm

doctorb

Norm, Norm, Norm.  This is something about which you should not have wanted to be right.  Win a battle.  Lose the war! 

Norm

I know doctorb you'd think after all these years of marriage I'd learn...oh well at least she can't catch me.  :D

Warbird

LOL LOL  Better watch it!  She'll hit you with her cane!

ps.

Patty,

When I shattered one of my legs, they had to take the knee apart to drive a metal rod down into the tibia.  The knee took a while to fully recover but it did.  So from someone who has had a much more severe surgery than you might have to have, allow me to say it's not that big of a deal.  And walking with a cane is pretty cool when you get the hang of it.  ;)

Clam77

Patty - My dad tore the rotator cuffs in both of his shoulders (separate occasions) and went to Mercy...  I can't remember the guy's name but the same doc worked both shoulders - surgery and about 6 to 9 months or rehab for both.

Doctorb can probably find out better but it's Mercy you want.

**Changed from U of I to Mercy.

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Clam77

Just got ahold of the parents - they're on vacation out in the Badlands right now headed up to Yellowstone again- probably lost.. again/still.    :D

Anyway - Mom says Dad saw a Dr. Mysnyk at a place called Steindler Orthopedics here in Iowa City- really good doc.  I've been to the place myself for my back (different doc) - they know their stuff.  Doctor referral of course.

Mom also says to stay away from the U of I ortho - he had it done with the Mercy group as an outpatient deal real close by (not half a mile from the Steindler place)- surgery at 7am and home by noon.  They only live about a mile away from the place though.   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Left Coast Chris

Patty,   when you say the pain is JUST to the left of the knee cap are you sure it is not under the knee cap and towards the lower front?   If so mine goes away with holding squats against the door jamb (excercise 1) and straightening with a rupper band attached while rotating the foot outward (exercise 2).    I close one end of the band in the door and one loops on the foot.  Sometimes after surgery or injury the tendons under the knee cap can become inflamed.   

If I do not do my excercises I get intermediate sharp pains and have to "shake it out" or wait to be able to walk.   Do the excercises to build the quad and the muscle around the inside side of the knee and no problem.  If the muscles get out of ballance the tendon goes off track and inflames.   Mine will even grind or pop under the knee cap if inflamed.

If that fails remember when they told you that you can have all the ice cream you can eat after tonsil removal?

So... if you have to have surgery,  set up a good care net then convince them to allow substitution of pain meds with beer........(the silver lining)  :) :)   

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Norm

I already found out the crutches extend her reach by a couple of feet!

Growing up on a farm most medical care was done by ourselves but for some reason Patty feels I'm not the best choice for surgery...gee whiz how'll I ever learn if I don't get some practice.  ;D

Patty

Yesterday was crutches and pain pills. Today X-rays and an MRI. The crutches really help. I can get around pretty good if I don't put any weight on that knee.

Chris, I was doing an exercise similar to what you described to keep my legs strong. Instead of running, jumping, kicking, etc, I would put a balance ball (like a beach ball) behind my back, lean up against the wall, and do squats or even semi-squats. Bag-sits are effective as well, but you really have to be careful to set your feet directly beneath your knees, not in front, or you put too much strain on the knee. 

Spending Saturday with the grandkids, pretty much turned a sore knee into a VERY sore knee. Outside of the doctor appointment, I sat in my easy chair all day yesterday. Today is day two...I am not sure how long I can tolerate just sitting here. A person can only read so many hours in a day before one goes absolutely crazy! Before Norm takes off this morning,I will have him bring one of my quilts downstairs for me to sew on. Oh man, it is gonna be a Long week!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

chain

My wife has three sisters all RNs. Her oldest sister worked in a arthritis clinic for years, her youngest sister came down with rheumatoid arthritis-lupus condition and has bravely fought these crippling diseases for thirty years.

But both sisters will tell you not to stress your joints, the oldest sister even corrects my sitting posture or wife's 'knee crossing'. Guess what? Wife has come down with an arthritic knee , shots, and therapy now.

Left Coast Chris

Boy, did this thread move fast..... Patty, sorry to hear you had to go for surgery.  You really got in fast.  Please know that we are pulling and praying for your quick recovery.   I take back my advice on the beer.  Doctor's orders are definately the way to go.  :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

doctorb

Chris-

While Patty may be pre-op, she is definitely not post-op.....yet.  We still await the results of her tests.

Norm

Not sure she'll see this but the results are surgery. Problem is most are booked up so I went to the phone book and found one for her.  ;D

Patty

Nope, no surgery just yet.....hold your horses guys.

I got my test results back yesterday. My first pick for a doctor had a wait of 6 weeks  ::) , so I got an appointment with a different orthopedic surgeon, and will see him next week.

Clam, thanks for the referral. I may have to give them a try if I am not happy with the doc in DesMoines.

In the mean time, I am just sitting around letting Norm wait on me.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Magicman

Some things just will not heal themselves.  Mine finally locked up.  I mean that it simply would not straighten out.  The Dr. did a "scope" job and removed bits of cartilage and fixed whatever else was wrong.

At odd times, it will still try to go too far backwards and really feel strange.  I also learned to never cross that leg. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Patty, sorry to hear of your troubles, I know it's far out of the way but my wife has nursed for an orthopedic surgeon in Columbus for years and thinks very highly of him, not sure if he has any clinics closer to you.  Hope all goes well whatever route you have to take.

Warbird

The good news post-op is, if you follow your doc's and your PT's orders, you'll be off crutches and cane in a relatively short time.  My case was much more severe, so I had to use a cane for a few months.

We're pulling for you, Patty.  Keep us updated, as yer able!

Thank You Sponsors!