iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PEEEE-YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Started by Fla._Deadheader, March 05, 2004, 04:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We sawed this butt-ugly log tother day, and, MAN-O-MAN does it stink !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ::) :o

It DID have some interesting grain, though. It was also, HARD !!!

Take a look.  BTW, it STILL stinks ::) ::) ::)

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frickman

That's some interesting looking spalting going on there. How much of it is rotten, and what kind of wood is it?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

sawwood

Wow nice looking spalting and grain. How long has it been
 setting ? Is the Cypress Fla ?

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Fla._Deadheader

There's absolutely no rot. The piece is hard through and through. Don'T know how long it was sitting.

We have 1---2" thick board and about 5---1" boards.

Remember the "Chicken S***" Tree" post a short while back??? This MIGHT be that. It could be Chinaberry??? It could be something else???  I posted a "What is this" title in Plant ID last week, and got little response. I did post a pic of the bark???

It actually smells like 15 Horses have been peeing on the log for 40 years ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frickman

No Rot huh? That hunk of wood sure'd make a purty bench in the front hallway.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Fla._Deadheader

That's what my son was thinkin of making. Problem is, when he gets a weird piece, he puts a high price on it, and someone shells out the bucks, and the piece is gone???

He is wanting to build a Grandfather Clock, using Chocolate Cypress, or Midnight Cypress. It is a very dark color, like Choc., or Midnight??? ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Brian_Bailey

Looks like veneer to me  :D :D :D
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

crosscut

think you have you a spalted holley tree there not sure if the smell is from bacteria or just plain rotten wood i run into quite a few smellly trees.here in fl. specially if they are in serious decline or newly dead for a lack of better description lol

shopteacher

FDH,
    You didn't cut that near one of them transient northern rest homes, did ya?  You know them old men don't see to well anymore. You might have cut down their urinal.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

woodbeard

Looks a lot like hackberry, but I've never known hackberry to be very hard.

Fla._Deadheader

Crosscut, where ya been??? ;D
  You MIGHT be correct. I fergot about that Holly stuff. :o ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Flurida_BlackCreek

Looks like spalted wormy hickory to me.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

redpowerd

dredged from outhouse basement?
nice wood, looks wormy to me.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

dail_h

If it's hard,it probably ain't chinaberry. Pretty though
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

RMay

looks like persimmon to me  :)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

LeeB

I'm stil thinking hackberry or mayhaps elm. Really pretty stuff. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

C_Miller

Harold,

on a totally unrelated note. Did you ever get the immovable log out of the swamp?  I was thinking that it might be the one that's covering the drain so you may not want to disturb it after all.

C
CJM

etat

Me too, how about an update FLA.   Didn't let that piece of log get ya down did ya :) :) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

crosscut

hey ya fl we have been busy cuttin trees here. just cut down a huge sycamore. first limb we cut i knew tree was bad to the bone. got over half tree down.and tree was looking better and better old rotten rancid smell kept getting worse though finnally 3inches from the ground we found a huge cavity 3 inches from the ground 8 inch rotten spot appeared on it and underneaneath that was nothing but rotten and and worse even a bore test wouldnt have shown up on this tree. took the homeowner out and showed him sure made him feel better as i know he hated to lose the tree

Fla._Deadheader

Steve, ya doin any sawmillin???  We still gotta get together and let me pull the stick on yer circle mill. These guys postin all them pics of their circle mills gets me itchin to do 1 more round ;D ;D

Guess that Sycamore wasn't sawmill quality, huh ::) ::)  I'd like to get a decent Sycamore and Q-saw it on the Bandmill. Q-sawn sells well, here ;D ;) ;) :D

No go on the "monument" log, YET. We been so busy with "land" logs, we haven't even BEEN on the water.  Gotta pressure clean the bottom of the barge. Anybody know if a 3000# pressure cleaner will have any pressure underwater ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Probably enough pressure under water that you will have to tie Ed's .....er...  tie Ed to something or you might have to chase him down the river :D

swampy

No Tom, thats why we keep it in shallow water, ;D the pressure will force me to the bottom and pin me fast so I can't go anywhere. :o :o ;D
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Tom

Well, if you are going to point that thing up, make sure you know where your Daddy is standig and squirt him every once in a while for me.  I'll laugh. :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!