iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What can you tell me about these Bar's and Chains?

Started by JOE.G, July 07, 2012, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Ok I took some Numbers down off the Chains and Bars I have laying around, Can you tell me what they mean and if there any good. Thanks

Husky Rancher 55
18 In Bar 3/8 68DL .058
Husky Brand Chain Yellow Sticker H48 068 G
Oregon Chain I only see 73 On it.

Husky 450
18 In Bar .325 72DL  then there is a Pic of a 4 point pitch fork kind of thing and says 050 under it.
Stihl Chain 23RSC72 Rapid Super Yellow Label
Husky Chain Blue Label H30 0726

Stihl 009
14 In Bar 0.50 with a pic showing bar width and a pic of a chain link 50,3/8 P ME
16 In Bar
Stihl Chain Yellow Label 63 PMC50 Picco Micro 14 In Chain.
Stihl Yellow Label 63PMC55 Picco Micro 16 In Chain

Pole Saw HT 131
Stihl Bar 12 In0.043  3/8 P ME .44
Stihl Chain Green Label 61PMMC344 Picco Mini.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

deerslayer

Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

JOE.G

The bar's and chains are all brand new, I mean are these the chains that you guys like to run, when I get new ones should I use a different style, I hear you guys talking about Kerf what kind are these and so forth, I would like to get some sharpeners also but need to know what kind/style of chains I have.
STIHL 009 1998

beenthere

The OP lead me to believe these were old chains/bars "lying around".

What's the story?  Recently purchased or acquired?  One (or more) dealers involved ? 

Looking like a 3/8" chain which should take a 7/32" file. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JOE.G

Sorry guys if I wasn't clear, These are all new Chains and Bars I have picked up from my Dealer and plan to use them, I had picked these up before I became a Member here, After reading though the forums and what not I see that you guys are pretty knowledgeable about this stuff and figured I would post the stuff I have and see if these chains are the ones you guys like and also a little about them such as file size, Kerf type, chain type chissel etc.
STIHL 009 1998

beenthere

I think most everyone has their own preference as to chain size, safety chain or not, tooth size, and sharpening techniques.

I prefer 3/8 Stihl chain and sharpening by hand with the Husky jig that has a pair of rollers for depth and a plate for filing the rakers down. Many others prefer different setups, and hard to recommend what you would like best. And if like me, your preferences will change over time. Of all the techniques I've tried (never had a grinding wheel), I get the best sharp chain and satisfaction from the file and Husky jig. Have introduced it to others, and they like it as well. But likely not everyone would/will like it.
This is what I use.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

JoeG.-

I'll start off with some definitions. You may already know this, but it helps to make sure we're all on the same page.

Pitch: the length of a link of chain (usually measured by taking the average of two adjacent links in the chain... that is, the distance between 3 rivets and dividing by two). Typical pitches are .325" and 3/8" (.375").  You also see smaller on some consumer saws, and see .404 pitch on larger saws and some harvesters.  You may also see "Low profile" or "narrow kerf" versions of .325 or 3/8 pitch chains (and bars to match them).

Guage: Is the thickness of the drive links.  This can be shown either in inches (.058") or of in millimeters (.050" = 1.3mm,  .058" = 1.5mm,  .063 = 1.6mm)

The drive sprocket on your bar must match the pitch of the chain you are using. The bar must match both the pitch (if there is a sprocket in the tip, which most bars seem to have these days), and match the gauge.

Chisel chain (sometimes called "full chisel" chain):  The corner formed by where the side plate meets the top plate of the cutting is a sharp 90˚ angle.  This chain generally cuts faster than a semi-chisel chain, but tends not to hold a sharp edge as well when cutting in dirty conditions (which can dull a chain quickly).

Semi-chisel chain (also referred to as "micro chisel" or "chamfer chisel"):  the cutting tooth has a rounded or chamfered corner where the side plate meets the top plate. Cuts a bit slower than chisel chain, but holds up better in dirty conditions.  Someone bucking up logs that have been dragged through a lot of dirt and mud might prefer this type of chain. This chain also tends to be more "forgiving" of small errors in your file angles when sharpening.

Just to make things more complicated, there are two main types of chisel chain: Round and Square chisel. This has nothing to do with the "corner" referred to above. It has to do with the type of file used when sharpening. Round chisel uses a round file, so the gullet of the cutting tooth ends up with a sort of "C" shape. Square Chisel uses a different file, which puts a sort of "L" shape in the gullet of the tooth.  Square chisel is generally the fastest cutting, but the most sensitive to dirt or grit. It is also tougher to sharpen then semi or round chisel, and screwing this up tends to negate the advantage of having square chisel in the first place. Folks who use square chisel tend to be folks who make their living at this, and cut in clean conditions (although many pros around here use round chisel).

To even further muddy the waters, a lot of folks confuse round chisel with semi-chisel, and square chisel with "Full Chisel". The terms are NOT interchangeable.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

Those bars and chains are well matched to the saw models given. Once they wear out you can experiment with different bar lengths and chain types to see what you like best.
Most 009's sold around here have 16" bars, pretty hard to go wrong with the Stihl bar and chain. The 55 Rancher was available with 3/8 or .325 chain, changing from one to the other means swapping out bar chain and sprocket. It will handle the 3/8 as long as it is kept properly sharpened, don't get aggressive with raker height. Oregon replacements will likely be cheaper and easier to obtain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

On your Rancher 55:

The info on your 18" bar ( 3/8 68DL .058 ) means it takes 3/8" pitch, .058 gauge chain with 68 drive links to make an 18" loop.  (I'll assume your saw has the proper 3/8" drive sprocket for this chain as well -- the chain will not seat very well if the wrong sprocket is on it)

The Husky 48 chain is a good match for this bar and saw. It's a chisel chain, .058 gauge, with 68 drive links. (not sure what the "G" indicates).  Most, if not all Husky chain (at least in the US) is just rebadged Oregon chain.  Oregon Equivalent would be 73LGX.

The Oregon chain with the 73 on it is most likely 73LGX, a Chisel chain.  I believe they also make a semi-chisel version of this as well.

Both the Husky 48 and the Oregon 73LGX sharpen with a 7/32" round file.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

On your Husky 450:

Your 18" bar takes .325 pitch, .050 gauge chain with 72 drive links to make an 18" loop.  That little pic of the 4 point pitchfork is actually supposed to be a picture of the groove in the bar that the drive links ride in (the 1st and 2nd "tines" should be connected at the top, as should the 3rd and 4th, representing a cutaway of the bar groove).

The Husky H30 chain is a Narrow Kerf .325 pitch, .050 gauge, "Micro-chisel" chain (semi chisel, with a small radius corner, supposedly making it a bit closer to a regular chisel chain). It should be paired with a narrow kerf bar (I'm not sure which bar you have). It sharpens with a 3/16" round file.

Personally, I prefer a 16" bar on a saw the size of a 450, but it works with an 18" (you just need to be patient in larger hardwoods). The narrow kerf bar and chain uses less power in the cut, which will help it handle the longer bar better.

JOE.G

John Mc Thank you for taking the time, The bar states 1.3 MM on the 450 which I think means Narrow Kerf,
Could you go on to tell me about the Stihl Chains that I have for the 450. 

Also What Stihl Chain would be the match for the 55 Rancher?

Are My Chains Round or square Chisel?

could you also tell me about the 009 and the Ht 131, I have 14 Inch and 16 Inch Bars for the 009 but I run the 14 Inch most of the time.
STIHL 009 1998

John Mc

I don't know that 1.3mm necessarily means a narrow kerf bar. It's probably still referring to the gauge: 1.3mm is the metric equivalent of .050" (actually, if you're being picky, it's .051", but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference). I'm not all that familiar with the narrow kerf bars, but I believe you can get 050 gauge in both narrow kerf and regular.

To tell if your chains are round or square chisel, just look in the gullet of the tooth (where the file goes when you are sharpening it). If its a rounded, concave shape (a round file would fit there) it's round chisel. If it's got a squared off angle in there, it's a square chisel.  If I had to bet without seeing them, I'd say your chains are round chisel. That's much more common, especially on these sized saws. All it takes to convert a chain from round to square chisel (or square to round) is for someone to sharpen it with a different type of file or grinding wheel.

I can't tell you much about the Stihl chains and saws, since I don't tend to run them (nothing against them, I just happen to like the Husky and Jonsered dealers in my area better).

I believe the Stihl Picco Micro chains you mention are narrow kerf, low profile chains. They're 3/8 pitch, 050 gauge, but 3/8 low profile chain is not interchangeable with regular 3/8 pitch chain. THe Picco Micro chains are good for smaller saws, cutting smaller wood (limbing, for example)... But you really should hear form folks here who know the Stihl products better than I do.

Your pole saw has an .043 gauge chain... but again, talk to a Stihl guy for better info.

JOE.G

Yes they are round, thank you so much for your time, Do you think that those are the correct Stihl Chains for my 450?
STIHL 009 1998

JOE.G

I would like to order the correct bar at some point for the 450 to run the Regular chain, I would like to stay with a Husky Branded bar, Anyone have a recommendation? 18 In Reg Kerf bar Currently have the Husky Narrow Kerf. I called Baileys but they said they can't guarantee it will be a Husky Bar that is sent.
STIHL 009 1998

John Mc

I'm pretty sure the Husky bars are just rebadged Oregon bars (at least in the US). So all your getting is a different name painted on it if you order a Husky bar.

If you are planning on burying an 18" regular-kerf bar in hardwood with your 450, you'll need a very sharp chain and some patience.

JOE.G

SO running the Reg kerf chain on a Narrow kerf bar won't slow down the saw like running a Reg kerf bar will ? Will I notice a Difference running a Reg Kerf Chain vs a Narrow Kerf chain both on a narrow kerf bar?

I can't seem to find any pro chains in narrow kerf.
STIHL 009 1998

John Mc

I've never mixed regular and narrow kerf bars and chains, so I can't tell you from experience.  In fact, I tend not to run any of the NK stuff (the 357XP I bought used had 3/8 lo-profile on it and I swapped that out from the start.) 

I know a narrow kerf chain on a regular kerf bar does not work well.  I can't say how a regular kerf chain would run on a narrow kerf bar.

The kerf is the width of the cut you make in the wood. A wider kerf takes more power to make (you're plowing a wider swath through the wood). My comment on running an 18" regular kerf bar & chain on your 450 was mostly because I find my Jonsered 2152 (sister saw to a Husky 353, and slightly more powerful than the 450) to be underpowered when running an 18" bar in hardwoods (even a 16" bar takes patience when cutting larger stuff).

Cut4fun

Quote from: John Mc on July 12, 2012, 01:03:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the Husky bars are just rebadged Oregon bars (at least in the US). So all your getting is a different name painted on it if you order a Husky bar.

Same thing when you get stihl bars from north of the border sometimes. They are just relabeled oregon powermatch.

John Mc

Quote from: Cut4fun on July 12, 2012, 02:10:46 PM
Quote from: John Mc on July 12, 2012, 01:03:07 PM

Same thing when you get stihl bars from north of the border sometimes. They are just relabeled oregon powermatch.

But somehow, that OEM paint job hardens the rails, improves the balance, lowers your cholesterol and reduces global warming

JohnG28

I've got a 50cc Jonsered that I got with a 16" .325 bar and chain. I swapped it out for regular 3/8" b/c along with a 3/8" sprocket. Only run it once but was fine I thought. If you have a b/c that will work on it now then might as well use it, unless it doesn't work or you want all of your Huskys to have interchangeable bars and chains. I changed mine because they were shot and needed replacing anyway. Maybe one day here if I can get a chance to meet with you I could show you some things in person, surely makes learning easier when its right there hands on.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Mc

JoeG -  Where in easter NY are you?  I'm not too far from Lake Champlain in VT

JOE.G

I live in Sullivan county NY. I wish I had some people that could swing by and show me whats what, Free food and beer.
I look and try to figure this stuff out, but I am not seeing any none safety chains in the narrow kerf, I don't see any bars that say they will work with my 450 that aren't Narrow Kerf ( I know its just a logo but would like to stick with Husky and Stihl Bars )

I do plan to pick up a 16 In bar and chain for the 450 also, guessing the 16 in comes in Narrow kerf also?
STIHL 009 1998

JOE.G

Also The chains I listed are  do they all take Round Files? they appear that they do but I was reading about the Stihl chains and it had said something about a square Chisel?
STIHL 009 1998

Clam77

Quote from: JOE.G on July 12, 2012, 08:28:02 PM
I live in Sullivan county NY. I wish I had some people that could swing by and show me whats what, Free food and beer.

Free food and beer?!?!  I'll be there yesterday!!    :D

I'd do as JohnG28 said - unless you're wanting to be able to change stuff around ALL the time... run em as they are till they wear out and replace them as needed.    ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

John Mc

Quote from: JOE.G on July 13, 2012, 09:19:21 PM
Also The chains I listed are  do they all take Round Files? they appear that they do but I was reading about the Stihl chains and it had said something about a square Chisel?

Just look at the gullet of the cutting tooth. If it's rounded, it takes a round file. If it's more of a sort of "L" shape, that's square chisel.

JOE.G

Yes I found this Chart that explained it to me,     http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_teeth_types.htm

I am pretty sure my chains say 5/32 for the Stihl 009 and ht 131 chains, a 3/16 for the 450 .325 and 7/32 for 3/8 Rancher chain. I have seen 11/64 sometimes come up and some people say that you can use either the 11/64 or 3/16 file.

And yes free food and all the beer you want.

The chart say's you use a round file in some of the square chisel chains.
STIHL 009 1998

John Mc

The term "Square Chisel Chain" may be the source of confusion here.  "Chisel" means square. It refers to the shape where the top plate and side plate meet each other - in this case, they  form a sharp corner.  Semi-chisel or "micro-chisel" refer to a rounded or chamfered corner between the top plate and the side plate.  When someone says "square chisel" you need to determine whether they mean "square ground, chisel chain" (sharpens with a double bevel file or a triangular file), or if they mean it has a square corner where top and side plates meet (in which case, the "square" is redundant, since chisel chain has that square corner. 

For most of the folks I talk chains with (as well as for Baileys), " square chisel" means "square ground chisel":  chisel chain sharpened with the double bevel or triangle file (or a special grinding wheel.  "Round chisel" means it has the square corner ("chisel" chain), but sharpens with a round file.  By this convention, you would ONLY sharpen "square chisel" chain with a double bevel or triangle file.  If you sharpened it with a round file, you would be converting it to a "round chisel" chain.

Thank You Sponsors!