iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Champion Tree is Dying..It's Dead...New One!

Started by Magicman, July 06, 2012, 09:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My Champion Tree is a Cherrybark Oak and is about 78" diameter.  This old Red Oak has seen many workers pass by during it's easily 100 year reign.

Yup, the main stem has dropped it's leaves.  Chances are that it actually died toward the end of last year and I did not notice it because the smaller branch ends are now falling.

The old trunk has many battle scars from loosing lower limbs.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

That would be a shame. :'( We'll hope for the best.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Autocar

Seems lkie the last number of years we are losing alot of old oak trees,good for my bussiness but still hate to lose such stately trees
Bill

Magicman

This Cherrybark Oak is only a couple of inches smaller.

The tree is in the background.  (Not to be confused with Fishpharmer !)   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

IF (big "if") you take it down, what will you make with some of that wood, Lynn?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OneWithWood

You hate to see it happen, but time waits for no man or tree.

I lost a champion sassafrass a few years back.  I swore I would salvage it and recover the lumber.  It is on the back ridge close to the regen opening.  Unfortunately it also sits in the middle of a very productive shroom patch so I have not taken it done.  May be too dangerous to drop it now.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

As of now, I have no intention of trying to salvage any of it.  Certainly not remove a live limb which just might accelerate it's demise.  Time will tell.  Under no circumstances would I ever consider felling it.

chevytaHOE5674

Everything dies eventually, be it old age or some other factory. Its a shame when it happens. Have some large hemlock trees around here that are slowly dieing off.

But on a positive note there's half a winters firewood in that puppy.  8)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I was gonna axe someone if maybe I could chop away the decay  ???   ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ed_K

It's shame,we're loosing a lot of older hard maples here.People in town want them saved,but what can you do with 175-225 yr old trees.Most have 4"-6" of live cambim and the inside is rotten.
Ed K

Bill Gaiche

To bad MM. There has been a lot of stories told under and about that tree. I believe theres still more to be told. I believe this is her. She has to have something made from her when the time comes for her to live on. bg

[img]

John Woodworth

We're seeing a lot of mixed speicies and seems like Red Cedar hit the hardest here where I live on the west coast, We are getting hammered with Chinese acid rain from their coal use aswell as whatever else they can through in, sure don't see Al Gore worring about it he's to busy de-poluting us.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Magicman

Bill, I was wondering who took that picture and what it measured. 

That put it at 74" diameter.   ;)

Bill Gaiche

That is the biggest oak that I had ever seen. She may not ever grow another inch by the tape measure but she can give us all a history lesson. If the  time comes you or your son should make some kind of memento out of it for the cabin with a few details about it so your grandkids and theres can see what you have seen. Also a picture of it on the wall. You never know who may like how old and big that old tree was and where it grew. Have a good week sawing. bg

Magicman

My old Champion is steadily loosing dead limbs and in a few years will only be a snag.  I am unwilling to remove a limb to be sawn because that will only hasten it's demise.  :-\  Since it is a "pasture" tree, letting it die is a decision that I can live with.

On the bright side though, there are still a couple of rather healthy limbs that are being fed by the roots on the opposite side from the huge burl/canker.  :)  The old Champion is dying, but it ain't dead yet.

GATreeGrower

I wouldn't call this a champion tree, but it makes a good tree stand :)

terry f

Magicman, how old might that tree be, and how long will it stand as a snag or wildlife tree after it dies?

Magicman

I would say that it is easily 150 years old.  When the roots that are holding them up finally die, they usually fall within a couple of years at best.  There is just so much weight up there that a good wind could tip it over.  If it is overbalanced, then it could go anytime.  When it falls, maybe I can salvage at least a limb because it would be nice to have a lamp or something made from it.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Sadly, the last living limb broke and fell within the past few weeks, so my Champion Tree is officially dead.

The road to the "first" bridge is now blocked.  Maybe next week I can spend some time and clear the limbs.

Many FF members have had their pictures taken at the base of this old tree.  Here is Fishpharmer,  Radar67, DonK, PineNut, & LJMathias.

Another Chickin' Crispin' picture.  Meadows Miller & GF, LeroyC, guest, Leroy's wife Connie, Jonnywood & wife.

And now the trunk only holds up dead snags from the limbs that have died within the past few years.

So now this becomes my Champion Tree shown here with myself and Fishpharmer.  It is also a Cherrybark and I will get a measurement to record it's size.

Matter of fact I can do it tomorrow because I will be getting my 5 year Tree Farm inspection and re-certification then.

WDH

petefrom bearswamp

Too bad Lynn, but "nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky".
I have been watching a good sized American elm on a clients property for 10 years now.
Still alive as of 6 weeks ago.
I measured it once and think it was 65" dbh. but am not positive.
Glad you have a new champion to watch over the next decades.
BTW what is the official name of Cherrybark oak?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 25, 2016, 04:36:27 PM
BTW what is the official name of Cherrybark oak? 
That is Jeff,   :D  Oh you meant the name of the tree?   ??? 

Quercus pagoda.  It's named for the pagoda look of the leaves.

kensfarm

Wow that is an amazing tree to have to enjoy.. are there offspring tree's around it?

Maybe make a memento plaque.. my brother made one from a big old oak tree on my parents farm that had to be taken down.. he then carved a picture of the tree on the plaque.. it looked pretty cool.  Sorry about your tree..

Magicman

Life goes on and the "new" Champion Tree will just have to step up to the plate and accept it's rightful status.  :)

I do plan to save a few specimens next week to make something out of.

killamplanes

I am a betting man that ur trees alot older than 150yrs. I have found out atleast around here that the tree is always older then we think. Last winter I cut a burr oak that went veneer small end of first log 10ft was 44in flared but 52in. Anyway buddy started counting rings got lost at 125 I guessed 100 it was in good soil plenty of moisture. My 2c
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

WDH

When I was in Forestry School, cherrybark oak was considered a variety of southern red oak, Quercus falcata.   Since then, it has been given its own species status. 

It is very shade intolerant, so it self prunes quickly, producing clear logs, the very best of the southern lowland oaks.  Here is one on the mill.

Ed_K

WDH, did the boards split where the heart wood and sap wood meet?
Ed K

WDH

Magicman

Yup, I now have a new Champion Tree.  Apparently it has been for the past couple of years because it was still growing and the old tree was declining.

Yup, that is 242" at breast height making it ~77"dbh which is larger than the old tree ever was.  It is the 5th picture in Reply #21 above.

Next I got my Tree Farm Inspection and review.

The Forester/Inspector is make an increment bore.

The core shows almost ½" per year growth and 3/8" for the past three years.  This suggests that these 11 year old trees are maintaining their growth target to be thinned at 18 years with the majority being chip-n-saw.

I was then obligated to carry the Inspector to our famous Fried Chicken restaurant.

And eat an unlimited amount of Fried Chicken.  This was the first of my three plates.   food6

Peter Drouin

That is to bad MM, Long live the new one. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

RHP Logging

The tree is definitely older than you think.  Unless you cut it down you'll never know and chances are you might not have rings to read. This white oak was on top of this hill for 250 years.  I hated cutting it and so did the landowner but it was in the way of his expanding gravel pit.  He felt really bad when I told him all old it was.  It was 40" on the stump. It made two tens and and 8 ft log.  A cord of pulp in 8 ft lengths and I'm not sure what they got out of it after they cut the rest.

Buckin in the woods

Jeff

You guys in Illinois and Wisconsin forget to consider that Magicman is dang near in the tropics. The growing seasons are far longer than they are up here. He has also lived there his entire life and knows the history of the property. I can't imagine even thinking of second guessing his experience and knowledge.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RHP Logging

Typical harvest trees here are 100-150 years old.  That's 20-40" diameter stuff usually. I've cut 16" hickory that was 180 years old. I've also cut 16" hickory that was 60 years old.  It all depends on the tree, soil, sunlight, climate, etc. I'm not arguing with him. I will just bet it's much older than 150.  Probably never know for sure though.
Buckin in the woods

WDH

Down here in deep grits and boiled peanut country, we can see growth rates of 1/2" radially or 1" in diameter. 40" oaks that are 60 to 80 years old are not uncommon on good sites.  That is not the average, though, for sure.  I posted a thread about a 45" diameter at DBH oak that died and I was able to saw.  It was 112 years old.  That is diameter growth of a little less then 1/2" per year.  Pretty good growth.  Here is the link.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55404.0.html

killamplanes

Ya I forgot about the deep south. Here 20yrs growth is nothing. If I talk to a land owner and him or his family has ever heard of the land being logged I am hesitant to even walk it. Very seldom do I find worthy tree to log.  But of course are winters include snow haha..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Magicman

Curiosity plus conversation on another thread made me look at the deed today where my Great-Grandfather bought this particular 168.67 acre parcel of land in 1904.  Including 10% interest and 10% attorney fee, he paid $363.00 financed for three years.  There were three payments of $121.00 each due on the 13th of December, 1905, 1906, and 1907.

I am sure that the due date was by design because by then all of the crops would be in.  I inherited a portion and bought the remainder of the property in 2004, exactly 100 years later.  The original deed, which I have, is hand drawn on linen cloth.

OH logger

thats very cool magicman. how cool to pass that down to the next generation ;)
john

Sixacresand

I had the opportunity to see the champion tree and meet some mighty fine people at the Davis Farm and Chicken Crispin.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

killamplanes

Quote from: Magicman on September 05, 2016, 10:38:12 PM
Curiosity plus conversation on another thread made me look at the deed today where my Great-Grandfather bought this particular 168.67 acre parcel of land in 1904.  Including 10% interest and 10% attorney fee, he paid $363.00 financed for three years.  There were three payments of $121.00 each due on the 13th of December, 1905, 1906, and 1907.

I am sure that the due date was by design because by then all of the crops would be in.  I inherited a portion and bought the remainder of the property in 2004, exactly 100 years later.  The original deed, which I have, is hand drawn on linen cloth.

Its amazing how things use to be bought and sold. know in days ever T has to be crossed and I has to be dotted. I'm glad to see land retained for that many years within the family. Money gets spent, and replaced, they don't make land anymore. I have bought several hundred acres in last couple years. I clear cut a creek, all soft wood overmature (cottonwood, sycamore). Grossed 24k in a 7ac plot on both sides of a creek. To bad the rest of the 160ac wasn't timber like that just tillable. Linen cloth :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!