iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD540

Started by lynde37avery, July 05, 2012, 11:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

ran a john deere 540 for the first time yesterday, and i had been being told that it would change the way i run forest equipment and i wouldnt wanna sit in a another machine"timberjack, tree farmer franklin". i am actually convinced, that thing was AWESOME, it hugged corners so well turning super easy. nice comfy seat and super fast and quiet as ever. anyone else here run JD skidders any input? id like to know more opinions. one day id like to upgrade from the dinasaur.
Detroit WHAT?

beenthere

Sounds like fun and a good time.

Any pics of your venture? And some more detail as to what you were doing with it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodtick#2

I run a 1985 jd 540d every day, what a great machine!  I went from running a jd 440b to this machine so it was a huge leap.  The machine is long and turns great maneuvers great and pulls great.  The winch is very fast and strong, I dont get out of 3rd gear in the woods because even 3rd is too fast some places.  I like the way it shifts with the semi automatic transmission.  Just dont grab the roll cage on the drivers side when your climbing out because they run the exhaust through it.
-Nathan

logman81

Woodtick is that 540d Jasons skidder? How many skidders does he have?
Precision Firewood & Logging

Bobus2003

I love my JD440.. Gets around great, and plenty of power (Re-Powered with a 130hp 4045T)

lynde37avery

yea i slightly burned my fingers on the limb riser/exhaust haha. i will post a pic tonight or tomorrow i got one of it. its a nice one too. i was just driving it around for a test drive is all.
Detroit WHAT?

MJD

Like Bobus said, loved my 440c. Only complaint would be a bit tippy on hills. 

lynde37avery

had lots of problems uploading to this site. i am still green on here. any help?

Detroit WHAT?

woodtick#2

@logman81 yes that is jasons skidder, was my baby but I had a career oppertunity i could not pass up.  He also has a jd440b but he is selling it.  I find the 440 is extremely tippy on the hills, even on flat ground.  The 540 seems to plant itself to the ground, it was a grapple skidder so its a bit longer in the mid section where the cable skidder is shorter, I find it gets a better ride and pulls better when the machine is longer.  I will try to post some pictures.
-Nathan

beenthere

Quote from: lynde37avery on July 06, 2012, 09:17:11 AM
had lots of problems uploading to this site. i am still green on here. any help?

Here is some good help, made available by our members into one post (another if a Mac user).

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Thanks woodtick I look forward to the pics. Yes the longer framed skidders are more stable on hills. I have opperated a older model 440 and a 548g and what a differance! I have a pettibone master 15 and is by far the most stable machine so far.

woodtick#2

I tried getting pictures up there but they were too big and I dont have the patients to mess with it haha
-Nathan

logman81

No problem. Guess jason is starting that new job tomorrow.

woodtick#2

Im upset I wont be able to cut the wood over there, I havent cut wood that big in a while.  We walked the piece of property a couple of weeks ago and theres some monsters over there, take more time to cut a hole for the tree to go in than to cut the tree its self.  I believe theyre bringing the cat 508 over there because the 540 is on a job that I cut this winter. 
-Nathan

logman81

How big is the wood where is it?

lumberjack48

The S8 IH Power Shift with 18.4x26 tires is 10 times stabler in hills then a C5D TF stick shift with 18.4x34 tires.

The S8 IH is smooth and fast compared to the head banging C5D. We ran-em side x side for 16 yrs.

When running a hired crew you want the C5D TF'er, you can't just put anybody on the S8 IH. I wouldn't let my father or my brother use it. If i had to let somebody use it i put a tie down on the shift lever so it went from 1'st to 2'it gear. This was so they wouldn't tear the trannie up, 90% of people don't use common sense.

I didn't like big timber, slower going, more clean up, more work. I'd much rather cut 8 to 30" wood then 4 foot wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

There is one those forsale on crsigslist in houlton maine.

woodtick#2

logman its at least 4 feet across on the stump, in gloster, big wood ads up real quick.  The number on the mill check ads up quick too when its nice wood.
-Nathan

lumberjack48

Quote from: woodtick#2 on July 06, 2012, 02:17:07 PM
logman its at least 4 feet across on the stump, in gloster, big wood ads up real quick.  The number on the mill check ads up quick too when its nice wood.
Big wood would add up quick if you can sell it by weight, when they grade it and get the stick out, they steal 1/2 of it, over my yrs of logging this is what i seen.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

woodtick#2

good news ill be over to start cutting that piece tomorrow morning, were gonna get the bridges in and start getting wood out
-Nathan

logman81

Good for you sure wish I could come and help but got to go to a 4th of july party. Have fun and be safe!

lumberjack48

When cutting logs and saw bolts anything under 16" cut in to saw bolts [100"] This way i guy doesn't lose his butt to bad on the BF, saw bolts are by the cd.

woodtick have fun and most of all log safe

woodtick#2

Well guys we went out and cut at least 2 loads of logs by 1 this afternoon, really wish i could get some pictures on here i took plenty.
-Nathan

logman81

Nice work woodtick! Jay must be sad to see a good worker go. Send those pics to me I would like to see them.

woodtick#2

yeah he is but he understands, i start the new job on monday, pm me your phone number or email and ill send the pics
-Nathan

Thank You Sponsors!