iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maybe Instead Of Jellybeans

Started by levans, July 04, 2012, 01:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levans

Maybe instead of a how many jellybeans in a jar, a contest of how may 1" x1 1/4" stickers would this log make :) .I think this is about the max the mill will cut, I have done them this size and 20' long. I used a chain and come along  hooked to the mill to pull them to the loader because I couldn't move them with a cant hook.
This one landed wrong on the log deck and I had to use the mill hydraulics to pull it straight.

beenthere

In due time, you will take to chainsaw-trimming the splinters off the butt end of that log. They have a way of gettin caught up in the worst possible places.  ;D

Nice log for stickers. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga Mtn Man

I'm going to guess...575.

By the way, you've got that log backwards on the mill.  You need to take it off and start over. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on July 04, 2012, 02:22:11 PM

By the way, you've got that log backwards on the mill.  You need to take it off and start over. ;D

GMM,

On BIG logs I always turn them around the wrong way with the large end toward the starting position. It helps me not to get the blade guides hung up.

Levans, that is a NICE log. When life gives you BIG logs.....make stickers.  :D

Do I see an old MASSEY setting back there?  :-\
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

davch00

It looks like it's a '06 or maybe '56 series IH Farmall.

levans

I thought I'd just spin that log on the mill. The tractor is a 1970 I H Farmall 826

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 04, 2012, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on July 04, 2012, 02:22:11 PM

GMM,

On BIG logs I always turn them around the wrong way with the large end toward the starting position. It helps me not to get the blade guides hung up.
Levans, that is a NICE log. When life gives you BIG logs.....make stickers.  :D

Ah Ha! I learned something today. Nice tip.

Delawhere Jack

I'll guess 1100 4' stickers, or 550 full log lenght.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ah Ha! I learned something today. Nice tip.
[/quote]

Jack....I can't take the credit for this tip.

I LEARNED IT ON THE FORESTRY FORUM FROM SOMEONE ELSE.

Keep passing it on.  smiley_thumbsup

Cutting Edge

no_no ...thats blastphemy.   dadgum you, Charlie! Wasn't somone just bragging on your "keen" eyesight??  Well we all know the truth now......what a disappointment David......Massey......Heard it all now!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

customsawyer

When you put the big logs up there big end first you can also get some boards that are a bit shorter than the length of the log. This helps if there is lots of tapper. If the log is 16' long you can get a 8' and then a 12' board out of some before you get to the 16' length.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rwthom279 on July 04, 2012, 07:17:00 PM

no_no ...thats blastphemy.   dadgum you, Charlie! Wasn't somone just bragging on your "keen" eyesight??  Well we all know the truth now......what a disappointment David......Massey......Heard it all now!

Look, All I know is when I saw that tractor, I was seeing RED.
Now that I have read your reply.....I'M STILL SEEING RED!   :D :D :D :D :D :D

levans

The numbers are in, the log scaled at 276 feet, it sawed out at 334 feet that equals 321 pieces 1 x 1 1/4 at log lengths cut into three pieces for a total of  963.

As the official judge I have to call Delawhere Jack  the winner with the closest guess!

Delawhere Jack

8) 8) 8)

There's something to be said about dumb luck....... ;D

Thank You Sponsors!