iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The logs are starting to be hauled in

Started by lyle niemi, July 03, 2012, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Its finally dry enough to get to the logs, I got three loads of spruce so far today and six more loads to come. I hope the rain stays away for a few days so we can get the rest out of the bush.

Jim_Rogers

What are you going to mill these into?

I know lumber; but what sizes and what are they going to be used for?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

lyle niemi

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on July 03, 2012, 06:07:35 PM
What are you going to mill these into?

I know lumber; but what sizes and what are they going to be used for?
I will try to get as many 3x12x10s as I can. Its used for under oildield tanks. I possible have a contract for a whole bunch of 6x6x14s also. Of course I will cut whatever people need. 8)

dgdrls

You Cats from Alberta are setting a high bar for us Quebecers!! :D 

Is that even a word??? ???

Good to see you up and sawing,

Best DGDrls

ALWOL

Those sure are some nice logs. I hope the rain stays away from you also, and comes on down here. We need it like you wouldn't believe.
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

SPD748

Great looking whack of logs you've got there Lyle! I can't wait to see your mill in action.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

lyle niemi

Quote from: SPD748 on July 04, 2012, 04:38:16 PM
Great looking whack of logs you've got there Lyle! I can't wait to see your mill in action.

-lee
Thanx Lee, it was pouring rain this mornin so I could not cut anything without getting soaking wet. It stopped raining this afternoon so I fought the mud and bucked up some logs and just loaded up the skidway. Gonna saw some up right after coffee break 8)

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on July 03, 2012, 10:57:01 PM
   Those sure are some nice logs. I hope the rain stays away from you also, and comes on down here. We need it like you wouldn't believe.
Hi Alan, there is one impressive looking log in that pile, its about 60 feet long and bulky almost to the end, I think Im gonna cry when I attack it with the chainsaw....lol

lyle niemi

Quote from: SPD748 on July 04, 2012, 04:38:16 PM

-lee
Here ya go Lee, I cut up one log and had to come and post it fur ya...lol Im like a kid at Christmas time with a new toy, I gots ta show everyone...lol

beenthere

lyle
Thanks for the pics. Sure do enjoy them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ALWOL

Looks really good. Bet it feels good to sink that saw into some soft straight spruce. Now your gonna need an edger to keep those flat-slabs from piling up on the log deck.

Alan

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on July 04, 2012, 06:44:19 PM
Looks really good. Bet it feels good to sink that saw into some soft straight spruce. Now your gonna need an edger to keep those flat-slabs from piling up on the log deck.

Alan
You bet it feels good! BUt I gots troubles!!! looks like my 100 dollars 329 needs some lovin. I gots water in me oil...lol I think the O ring on one of the sleeves went....DANG!!! looks like Im back to being a meckanic again...lol

snowshoveler

An edger...geeze don't give him any ideas.
Can't hardley keep up with him now.

Wow Lyle you are certainley getting things done.
Replacing the O rings in the power unit sleeves should take you all of about 10 minutes if the
work done so far is any indication.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

lyle niemi

Quote from: snowshoveler on July 04, 2012, 07:51:42 PM
An edger...geeze don't give him any ideas.
Can't hardley keep up with him now.

Wow Lyle you are certainley getting things done.
Replacing the O rings in the power unit sleeves should take you all of about 10 minutes if the
work done so far is any indication.
Chris
I wish it would only take ten minutes..lol The motor has to come apart and when your that far your gonna do an inframe. Iffin I have all the parts I need it should take about 4 or so hours...??????

snowshoveler

Hi Lyle...
I put rings and O rings in my cat last winter and it took forever to get the parts...
Might have something to do with it being built in 1935.
Does your engine have an oil cooler, they can be trouble on the old cats. Not sure about the Deere.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

ALWOL

Those old engines that have sat for a while will often develop a leak or two. How bad is it? Are you sure it is engine coolant, or could it be atmospheric water? If your 329 has an engine oil cooler, it will be under the engine oil filter and have a couple of collant hoses running to it. If you need another cooler, I may have one or two lying around. If it is the liner o-rings, you are right about just doing a complete in-frame overhaul. I always tell my customers that I can install all new parts for less than what I can clean up and reinstall the old ones. An inframe rebuild kit will run you around 750 dollars.

Alan

Al_Smith

What you might try before you peel that engine down to the bones is water glass ,sodium silicate .You'll have to run straight water ,run it until it gets warm .Then drain the system and let it sit a day or two .After you can anti freeze it if you like .

It would be a monumental pain in the behind to tear that thing down in place just for a couple of o-rings .

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on July 04, 2012, 11:27:48 PM
   Those old engines that have sat for a while will often develop a leak or two. How bad is it? Are you sure it is engine coolant, or could it be atmospheric water? If your 329 has an engine oil cooler, it will be under the engine oil filter and have a couple of collant hoses running to it. If you need another cooler, I may have one or two lying around. If it is the liner o-rings, you are right about just doing a complete in-frame overhaul. I always tell my customers that I can install all new parts for less than what I can clean up and reinstall the old ones. An inframe rebuild kit will run you around 750 dollars.

Alan
Mornin Allan, The leak is pretty bad. The motor was puking out white slush out of the blow by and the rad was down on fluid, it is definatly coolant.
Im gonna price out an inframe kit today or see if one is even available???
All is not lost tho, I left the mill so that I could still run it off the pto of the tractor, I would have just a little bit of messin around to do. I did that because I know what could happen when you take an old motor and put it back to work....anything could happen

lyle niemi

Hi Allan, I just talked to JD and they said all the parts were going to add up to 1800 clams...OUCH! Im still checking into some jobber suppliers

ALWOL

Yeah, no way can you afford to pay JDs price. I will email you a number to call.

clww

Great photos of the sawing in progress. Love to see that circle blade mill! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lyle niemi

I removed the 329 this afternoon and put the ol massey back on the mill. I just have to hook up the hyds now but I will do that in the mornin. Im just to tuckered out to finish tonight. lol

Ga Mtn Man

Wow, very impressive setup Lyle. smiley_clapping  Makes my TK2000 look like a toy.  I know nothing about circle mills.  How often do you resharpen the blade?  Is pitch build-up a problem and is any lube used?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on July 05, 2012, 07:35:28 PM
Wow, very impressive setup Lyle. smiley_clapping  Makes my TK2000 look like a toy.  I know nothing about circle mills.  How often do you resharpen the blade?  Is pitch build-up a problem and is any lube used?
Thanx mtn man! its not really a high quality mill, I did this on a shoe string budget and very short shoe strings ta boot...lol I cant answer your questions yet cause I havnt really done much sawing yet..lol I hope to learn that stuff very soon 8)

Sprucegum

No lube needed, that blade can fling pitch right at ya  :D When Lyle gets to sawing I bet he will be sharpening every day.

Sharp blades make happy sawyers  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!