iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of redwood

Started by kgbond, July 03, 2012, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgbond

A redwood mill 150 miles from me wants $2.00 a bf for redwood logs cut and put on my trailer. So for a log 20 foot long 22 inch diameter he wants $1000. What do you guys think?  I would use the material to finish my house that has redwood siding on three sides. $1000 seems like a big number to me.

beenthere

If it is the going rate, then will just depend on how bad you want it.
What is the selling price of redwood siding in the size that you want?

Are you buying from a mill that has the redwood logs in stock?
Or does the mill have a logging crew cutting redwood and you go to the job to get the log?

How much sapwood is in the 22" log?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kgbond

The mill only has redwood, I have not seen this log to know about sapwood.

opticsguy

Can you get 500 bd ft of useable lumber out of a tree that has 500 bd ft???
What will it cost you to pick up the log, return to your mill and cut?   

300 miles divided by 15MPG = 20 gallons x $4/gal = $80 or more.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

redbeard

Be patient if you can, logs always seem to find your sawmill. If your needing   redwood offer a 50/50 or 60/40 is better split or some kind of trade with a redwood customer that may come up in the near future. Iam always looking for cedar and thats usually how I build up my supply.Maybe you will get lucky with some old growth that stuff is really spendy. The mill that is offering you 2.00 log bf it must be a nice log. How much dose redwood siding go for if your to buy it from lumber yard?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kgbond

The siding at the local yard is construction grade, I really don't know where all the high grade material ends up, the clear lumber I have seen is way beyond my price range.

colinofthewoods

that sounds very expensive to me.  That would cost quite a bit more than perfect clear old growth western red cedar in this neck of the woods.

we don't deal in board feet here in B.C,  but to me the log would work out to just shy of 1.5 cubic metres,

the most expensive wood I have come across is around $300 a cubic metre,  that redwood log is in excess of $600 per cube.

WDH

$1000 would be more like $3.00 per BF.  Check out the Forum tool box and calculate the BF in the log.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sgschwend

Actually $2/bf is not that high, depending on the quality.  For quarter sawn DF and good size cedar $1.50/bf is not uncommon in Washington State. 

You could also contact tree services and tell them you will purchase logs from them, and that you will pick them up when then call.  There are lots of redwood yard tree, after about 20 years they get too big and need to be taken down.

We use cedar in Washington and Oregon, Californians like using redwood.  I can remember looking at some cedar in my CA days and wondering if it would work for outside wood, not much known about cedar then and perhaps that is still going on.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

kgbond

Thanks for all the help. I am trying to get a tree service to sell me the redwood trees they take down for a lot less money.

Kimball

Thank You Sponsors!