iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WooHoo,, Scoring a Forklift !

Started by Cypressstump, July 03, 2012, 12:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

This poorboyin' these logs around is getting tougher in the heat. Makes for some pretty expensive lumber once all the manual labor is tallied up. I typically winch a log up on the trailer, and have to winch it off onto the log deck prior to milling. And without equipment, I cannot go fetch up a land log very easily if I can't get the trailer right on top of it. A friend has aprox. 60 SYP trees standing, he wants them down before hurricane season hits in earnest. They are nice 20"- 28" trees spread out in a pasture. It's an all or nothing offer.  Rats,,, I figure it'd take me weeks without equipment. So I had not accepted the freebie offer,, Yet..

I ran across a Case 586E forklift, a 6000lb rough terrain, fixed boom, diesel, 2 wheel drive, 75% rubber. It's in fine shape for a 91 model, the seat does not even have any cracks or tears. It's been sitting in a shed for about 5 years. The guy wants 5k for it. Upon searching various sources, the same model in same condition is selling for 7-9k locally. I met the guy at his place, go to the farm to see the forklift, impressed me on overall condition, but battery is dead..... The guy owns a very well to do business.As we discuss things, He said if I wanted the thing, he'd have new batteries installed and the machine serviced prior to me buying it.... I say HECK yeah !

As we talk, he finds out I recover and cut sinker cypress. As it turns out, his wife had just finished a complete kitchen remodel, wants me to see it. It's some of the finest looking sinker cypress millwork I have ever seen, of course they have the money to buy the very best. He showed me the rest of the house. They have 2 bedrooms they are turning into an open dining/gathering area. And get this, he needs approx. 4000 board feet of sinker to complete the area. Also his cabinet guy cannot find sinker to purchase for his expanding millworks shop.

Looks like we're fixin' to swap some sinker for the forklift and he'll purchase the remaining board needed to complete his house. I just took Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off,,,, I have some diving to do all  of a sudden! I have just the two logs located already that should yield about 1800-2000 board feet each. Pictures soon to come!
Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

clww

OUTSTANDING!!! 8) 8) 8) I love to barter, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Holmes

Good for you. That is wonderful. 8) 8)
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_clapping  I here ya Cyp. You're probably on cloud 9 now and I would be too! That 586 will work for you.
It's a true BACK SAVER!

But caution......a forklift will cause weight gain!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

Thats a really good deal, off road fork  lifts are the ticket for your operation.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Cypressstump

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 03, 2012, 01:31:10 PM
smiley_clapping  I here ya Cyp. You're probably on cloud 9 now and I would be too! That 586 will work for you.
It's a true BACK SAVER!

But caution......a forklift will cause weight gain!  :D

Hopefully the Belly will remain in its current state, and any weight gained will be on the forks..... ;)

yes Redbeard, that model is a workhorse. I have used them on many construction sites over the years. It has a 21 foot fork height at full extension, that will help a lot in some future building efforts as well. I had been on the lookout for a decent Bobcat or other brand skidsteer with forks and bucket perhaps grapple, but those things hold their value so doggone much,,, either that or I am waaay too cheap, or both.  ::)
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Indiana Robinson

Excuse me while I try to clean some of this green jealousy drool off of myself.  :) :)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Indiana Robinson on July 03, 2012, 02:12:53 PM
Excuse me while I try to clean some of this green jealousy drool off of myself.  :) :)

bath_smiley   Indy, mix in a cup of Diesel.....it'll come right off.  :D

slider

sounds just too fine to me .bet you are going to enjoy that machine.
al glenn

sawguy21

Just remember, no pics it didn't happen. :D Make sure the hydraulics, rack and pivots are in good shape, a failure can ruin your day in a hurry.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodchuck53

Check the king pins for good zerts and use them. We had a few issuse with them. That's a good pc. of equipment and sounds like a good deal. Good luck.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Magicman

A "new" machine and a marketing contact too.  It just doesn't get much better than that.  It is truly amazing how things work out sometimes.  You reach out and help someone, and it always comes right back.  Good things come to good folks.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2012, 08:35:56 AM
A "new" machine and a marketing contact too.  It just doesn't get much better than that.  It is truly amazing how things work out sometimes.  You reach out and help someone, and it always comes right back.  Good things come to good folks.   smiley_thumbsup
Than i must be an extremely nasty geeza!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Cypressstump

Thanks for the mechanical tips guys. Appreciate that. Looks like tomorrow I get to pick it up.

New batteries and a service was done by the equipment fleet mechanic the owner uses for the rest of his humongous equipment. He has 300k dollar machines to handle plate steel, the largest being 12' wide 50' long and 6 inches thick !!!! 

When I first looked at the forklift, it had replacement dated stickers from the fleet service mechanic on all the filters along with service fill labels on the hydl tank and for tranny/axles. Those stickers were dated for fluid replacement in 2006, but the machine has been setting parked since then. So all in all, the machine was kept very well maintained it seems.

I was not able to do much for pulling sinkers last week as my partner was called out for work. That dampened things as I don't usually dive without another diver along. Too many things have happened before and these muddy river waters here offer a minus zero visibility below 4-5 feet. I did get one log I had located a long time ago, 12-14 foot deep. I like those shallow ones ! !   It scales  1000-1012 board feet it appears. That one will pay for the forklift.

I promise, pictures to follow ! 
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Ironwood

Nice,

I once got a forklift on partial trade from one of those well off, and very FAIR guys and several months later he called me with a brand new bucket of HD tire chains and a reciept from the complete engine rebuild :o He did not mention that in our dealings, or the $400 in tire chains. He was passing thru (hes an hour or so) and dropped them off.  Sounds like one of those deals, he doesnt have to make a killing on every deal, nice. This one wasa coal barron I think. Good guy see if he has any friends that are as fair and easy dealing. Those are the kind of folks you wanna deal with.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cypressstump

Well,, Here she is.

I am overall happy with the mechanical condition on the forklift.It has a couple leaky seals on 2 of the hydl. rams. I guess sitting up for 5-6 years, they will tend to dry out. I am hoping the seals will 'reseal' once used and heat cycled a few times. MY LUCK,,, no, I'll be replaceing them. Thay are not bad leakers, but I can't stand leaks.
She starts right off, has a 4 cylinder 65 horse diesel, brand new starter, most new or newer hoses. All pins are intact and fairly tight. One side shift cylinder pin mount was re-attached   for whatever the reason. All the hydl cylinders operate nice and smooth, no hang ups or hesitation/lurching. The only real issue I found is the steering. Seems while traveling it tracks straight and true. On a right turn, the steering reacts nice and quick, very smooth and deliberate. If trying to turn left while in straight line, it takes about 1 complete steering wheel revolutions to affect the turning of the steering wheels. I will look on line for a repair manual, That steering issue drives me nuts, it's gotta git fixed.

Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cypressstump on July 16, 2012, 03:01:07 PM

but I can't stand leaks.

That steering issue drives me nuts.

CYP......You probably need to stay away from my place then.  :D

Nice forks CYP!

DDobbs

nice rig .............. you will have to be like the UPS drivers an only be allowed to make Right turns
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Magicman

You did good Stump.  That should be a lumber/log handling machine for sure.  I am confidant that you will have seals in the cylinders and that steering fixed in short order.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

Stump, had to google as I didn't know where Maurepas was located. Always good to find another sawyer close by.

Nice rig. What is the transport weight of something like that. I had to go to the Case dealer in Killen, Texas one time and get one on a goose next single wheels and seemed to ba a lot for the F-350 gas rig. I still would like to find one in that shape.
Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Magicman

I have traveled through Stump's town several times taking an alternate route home from Gonzales.  But that was before he showed up here on the FF.

sandhills

That's nice!  I looked at one similar that a local machinery jockey had, not nearly in the condition as yours but then I'm a gluten for punishment that way.  Didn't buy it but would still love to have one.  On the steering issue (disclaimer, I've never owned or worked on one) be sure to check all the lines going to and from, it doesn't take much of a leak at all to do that on a few tractors we have.

stavebuyer

Looks like a nice machine. I have a 586C. It will handle the weight and the side shift is awfully handy. For those with "forklift envy" the downside is the counterweight. My 586C weighs 13,800# empty. The drive tires are more worn and it stays stuck unless the ground is bone dry or I keep it on gravel especially with no weight on the forks. If you have a nice mill yard they are a lot of lifting machine for the money. If you gotta work in the woods or pasture I would go a different route.

Cypressstump

Thanks Guys.

Magicman, next time thru lemme' know...love to meet ya in person.

The steering system does not leak ? So I'm getting a repair manaual pulled up in order to undedrstand the hydl steering and how to address the probelm..

Yes, this thing is heavy, info I had stated 13,400 lbs. I have a 2001 4x4 F-350 w/ 7.3 in it. Loaded the thing up on a bumper pull 22k lb trailer, as the gooseneck I was to borrow did not pan out. It was a load. But the only problem was my electronic brake controller went out, that was a big enough problem,, and then there was the rain,, another problem with light front tires and truck brakes only. It made for an interesting ride, but the highlight was as I was traveling much slower in the populated areas going across on Hwy. 190, I had time to take in a lot of scenery I wold normally have missed... :-\ :-\  On the open highway with little to no traffic, 60mph on curise control in OD with no issues,, just had to plan the stops well advanced  and very carefully.. ::) it was  not that bad, just frustrating that I could not use the trailer brakes,, I will be replaceing the controller as it has acted up before and it does not have the level for actuation, merely a setting range.

The leak issues stem from owning a early model 7.3 Powerstroke, as they are known oil leakers. It took a while but I finally chased down all the leak issues , mainly cheap o-rings Navistar installed in the motor.

I'm happy with what I paid on the forklift as I have seen same year model go for up to 4 times what I paid for this one, and much futher distance away from me. Now I goota get some wood to put on those forks !
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Woodchuck53

Sounds like you found a good one at a good price. Play safe Chuck

Ironwood

Good for you on getting it home safe. I moved some seriously heavy pallets of foundation  cut stone the other day with my 7.3 and it was,...well interesting on our hilly back roads, hot breaks and hot tranny. I am going to order a 6.0 tranny cooler to retro'. The fuel seals are not used to the ULSD, I had to replace mine also, nature of the beast when the Goberment changes the game.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!